General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you spy on the service bay at your favorite dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:16 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can you spy on the service bay at your favorite dealer?

Does your favorite dealer service department have the big window so you can watch what's going on in the service area? I was at the closest dealer to me today and decided to watch watching the guys work in the service area for about 30 minutes. 4 service tech's for 30 minutes actually worked on a bike for an accumulative time of 17 minutes. I wonder if that goes on all day. That's not being very productive huh? Of course today being Saturday may have been the reason.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

At how much an hour?

My bike has been to HD service once....... for a warranty item (new ignition switch).

Other than that, I've got a kick *** "garage indy" I use.

If HE F's me, he'll at least give a "reach around".......

Old 02-06-2010, 07:36 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bloody wish......the only time I seem to be able to see what goes on in the back is when the door opens and closes.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:40 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

mine has a window but sort of the same, never see too much going on. go figure

Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

The Harley Cathedral here has big windows where you can watch the service techs.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:39 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

i have no idea if they have windows or not. i never hang out there. when i need parts i get what i need and leave. i don't go there to shop in their boutique.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:27 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take your bike to an Indy, or learn to do your own work. Why pay for the service attention that you mentioned? I got quoted 2 hours of work one time to do a tire swap out. That's because it takes them 2 hours to do the work in between taking smoke breaks, eating donuts, playing grab *** with each other, hiding each other's tools, bitching about their old ladies, and all the restroom breaks.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Peedib89
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my least favorite dealer in town leaves the garage door open when its nice out so you can watch them screw up. Where i bought my bike from has the window and will actually invite you back if they find something screwed up. I had a leak near my seat that was running down into the fuse box and corroded a fuse. As soon as i called them with the symptoms they said they were 95% sure that was the issue and the service manager actually brough me back showed me the issue, replaced everything and i was on my way. Threw some ideas at the parts guy for my bike while i was there, he liked them so he got one of the lead mechanics out and told him my plans and before we knew it were measuring parts on bikes on the floor and comparing measurements, spent about an hour with them coming up with a parts list i would need, needless to say they werent very busy that day lol

Old 02-06-2010, 10:19 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just took mine in on Thursday to get the recall work done. They had big windows, but they were tinted? If you were up close you could still see in though.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:31 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BennieSG
I just took mine in on Thursday to get the recall work done. They had big windows, but they were tinted? If you were up close you could still see in though.
That's so they can watch you (the customer) pacing around wondering how much longer it's going to be.

Quick Reply: Can you spy on the service bay at your favorite dealer?