General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back to the service charges

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005 | 12:42 AM
Anniesage
|
Road Master
Default back to the service charges

talked to my service dept. again. I think they will be getting tired of me real soon. I have my 1,000 mile service scheduled for Wed am. (bytheway - here it costs $389.00!!) It's all about the demographics and what the market will support.

Anyways, asked once again about the handlebar installation - and I showed them the quote from the other dealer for 2 hours of work vs. the 5 hours my dealer wants to charge me. Basicallyk, back to the - this is what our shop charges, end of discussion. So, then I asked, well, what if someone more experienced works on it and it only take 3 and half hours to do the job? Answer - I get charged the 5 hours that was initially quoted.

To say I am a little disappointed wouldn't cover it. I know everyone has to make a living, but does that mean they have to rip me off? And that is the way I see it. If two other dealers can get the work done in 2-3 hours time, and mine says 5; and my dealer charges $89.00 an hour and the other two charge $85....and the work gets done in far less time...I don't get it. Yes I do, but I wish I didn't. Sometimes I just wish I didn't know stuff....

I looked at how to install the pullback handlebars and I just don't have that kind of experience yet. So, will end up riding 30 miles to another dealer (when mine is 7 miles away)...to save some $$

Is this common practice with HD? I guess I just thought it was a little more honest business

Old 05-28-2005 | 01:08 AM
whiplush
Tourer
Default RE: back to the service charges

Wish I lived near you Annie, I'd do it for you for a glass of tea and some conversation. If you are just changing the bars and not running the wires internally then it is really simple and I'm sure anyone you know that is handy with a wrench could handle it. I went from 32 inch stock bars to 39 inch without lengthening the cables. I have 36 inchers on now. I say grab a friend and take it slow and easy, thinking about each step ahead of time. 5 hours labor charge would buy a nice set of Craftsman tools. I bought a 318 piece set a few months ago for $349 and it is awesome. Gear wrenches are worth their weight in gold on a bike as well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-28-2005 | 01:22 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member

So why dont you have the other shop do the service as well? Guarantee your getting raped on the 1k service.

Old 05-28-2005 | 01:48 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Howdy Ann, I'm glad to hear that you are going to another dealer. To me, it gets old when people try to hold others over a barrel. So far, my dealer has been nice to me. I will be going in for my first checkup after Memorial Day. Then I will be able to see how good he is. The nice thing about where you live is that you can go to different dealers to see which one gives you the best deal. When I got my new Harley a few weeks back, all that they said is that the work had to be done by a qualified HD mechanic. That should mean that you can go where ever you want as long as he is qualified. Good luck on getting your Sporty worked on.

Old 05-28-2005 | 02:07 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

My 1000mi service was $243.80 total including parts, synthetic oil and 2.1 hours labor. Would these folks give you a written estimate with a break down into parts and labor? I hate to sound sexist, but women get treated differently at anything having to do with mechanical stuff as the macho mechanics think women don't know spit. My wife took her car in to have it serviced at a dealer. She brought the estimate home and I thought it might be a bit on the high side, so I took the car in and talked to the service manager and sure enough some of the stuff was unneeded add ons.[:@]

Old 05-28-2005 | 02:11 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member

Homer is right you need to find another shop. I just had the 500mi. done on the Springer they had the bike 5hrs. replaced the clutch cable that they found a smale crack in the adj. and a turn signal cover then washed and waxed it, and when they were done gave me a copy of the work order to show every thing that was done, total bill was like $238 . And when I was waiting they offered to feed me gave me the run of any of the demo bikes and said to go grab one and go for ride. I'm going 65mi. to get to this dealer (Ive got 3 that are closer) and I wouldn't think of going any were else

J.B.

Old 05-28-2005 | 02:26 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JB

Homer is right you need to find another shop. I just had the 500mi. done on the Springer they had the bike 5hrs. replaced the clutch cable that they found a smale crack in the adj. and a turn signal cover then washed and waxed it, and when they were done gave me a copy of the work order to show every thing that was done, total bill was like $238 . And when I was waiting they offered to feed me gave me the run of any of the demo bikes and said to go grab one and go for ride. I'm going 65mi. to get to this dealer (Ive got 3 that are closer) and I wouldn't think of going any were else

J.B.

Howdy JB, glad to hear that they treated you in such a good manner. I think that's the way that it should be done all the time. That's how a dealership gets repeat service.

Old 05-28-2005 | 02:40 AM
Anniesage
|
Road Master

For the 1,000 mile service - both shops are about the same - mine at $389 and the other at $349.00 so the cost in time and then haviang to find a ride home only to have to find a ride back - that just isn't worthe the $40 difference. And yes, I know it is a rip, but that is the listed price on the price boards at the service desk. Those I know are non-negotiable. Also, service on the engine, if something goes wrong, I can always run it into the shop because it is so close and then I can hold them accountable and responsible.

About the bars - My biggest fear is that I am great at taking things apart - its just that part of putting them all back together again that I am sort of sucky at. Remember, this is the woman who caused the Harley domino effect in the garage with no engines running. This is the woman who, when installing the underground sprinkler system, hit the main water line with her pick!. When trimming corn from the cob, had the cob slip and sliced off the sides of two fingers. This is the woman who, when hauling the sofa down U shaped stairs by herself, slipped on the carpet and the sofa went through the staircase window. I think you guys get the feel...?? However, I will always try. I may not be successful, but I try.

But probably will end up taking it to the other dealer for the bars since that is a lengthier job.

Old 05-28-2005 | 02:53 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member

They are a good bunch. I took them up some specialty cheese made buy one of the factory's that does business with us about 2lbs. of Garlic cheese and 2lbs. of horseradish cheese good stuff just to give them somthing to munch on. Buy the way how are you doing with youre bike?

J.B.

Old 05-28-2005 | 07:07 AM
DLUXE
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Anniesage
Remember, this is the woman who caused the Harley domino effect in the garage with no engines running. This is the woman who, when installing the underground sprinkler system, hit the main water line with her pick!. When trimming corn from the cob, had the cob slip and sliced off the sides of two fingers. This is the woman who, when hauling the sofa down U shaped stairs by herself, slipped on the carpet and the sofa went through the staircase window.
[sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif]

Quick Reply: back to the service charges