General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back to the service charges

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005 | 04:14 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: back to the service charges

ORIGINAL: Anniesage

About the bars - My biggest fear is that I am great at taking things apart - its just that part of putting them all back together again that I am sort of sucky at. Remember, this is the woman who caused the Harley domino effect in the garage with no engines running. This is the woman who, when installing the underground sprinkler system, hit the main water line with her pick!. When trimming corn from the cob, had the cob slip and sliced off the sides of two fingers. This is the woman who, when hauling the sofa down U shaped stairs by herself, slipped on the carpet and the sofa went through the staircase window. I think you guys get the feel...?? However, I will always try. I may not be successful, but I try.
That is too funny! Made me chuckle with the vision. But, your smart to check around for prices and time lots. Have you discussed this with your service manager? Perhaps he can shed light on WHY they charge out so much time to do this as apposed to the other shops. It might be worth while trying to reason with him.
Never hurts to talk!

Old 05-28-2005 | 07:21 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

I just had the 1k service done at my local (and only) dealer. Their price is $298 for 88 twin cam. Add another $30 if you go with SYN 3.

While the bike was there, I purchased a set of chrome levers - $123, and asked that they be installed while the bike was in the shop. Cost to install the levers - $35. This was in additon to the 1K service charge. (Hourly rate - $65) Total cost to me - $365.43

Two weeks ago I had them install another set of bars, install custom grips, install chrome switch covers, and relocate the turn signals down to the forks. They began a 4:00 PM and the bike was ready by 5:45 PM. Labor charge - $235. Total cost to me - $475.57

I'm no Einstein, but that just doesn't add up!

We have an independant here locally. From now on, I'm going to him for anything but warrently work.

Old 05-28-2005 | 07:32 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

If you do attemp to change the bars yourself, protect that tank! Wrap a comforter around it or something. If you loosen that last bolt and your not holding the bar, it will swing down. Also you better plan on changing the grips if they are original, I believe the left side may be glued on, and although there are ways to disolve the glue, it's easier just to leave that one on the old bars and install new custom ones. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2005 | 03:24 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Wow, my 1000mi service cost me $250.00 Canadian, that's about $198.00US. That included oil, plugs, gaskets, etc... I got an itemized invoice, I dropped my bike off at 8am, and she was ready to go by noon, they detailed her and everything. I'm starting to wonder about the dealers you guys have down there!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-29-2005 | 11:21 AM
dirtnap664
Road Warrior

Hey Annie - how about checking with some motorcycling friends next time your out for a ride. See if they are mechanical and are up to the job of switching out the bars for you. I'm paying a friend of mine to change out my pipes and do the stage 1 for me. Then when I take it in for the 1,000 mile service (which is free at my dealership) I will just pay them to remap it. Saves me $$$ and puts some cash in my friend's pocket.

Kelly

Old 07-30-2007 | 06:56 PM
easyglider
Road Warrior

probably common business practice to set your own rates and quotes.Maybe the owner won't let the service manager differ from his policy.

Old 07-30-2007 | 07:03 PM
Kolni
Banned

I'm confused. You checked around for prices, yet you don't want to go to the place that is cheaper?

Well then you have no right to complain IMHO.

If you don't like the price, just shop elsewhere.

And why people don't work on their own bikes is beyond me.

Old 07-30-2007 | 07:10 PM
rj164
Road Master

Hi Annie,
I just had my 1,000 mi service and change out the handle bars on the RK, one dealer want $320 for the service and $198 for the handle bars, another was a few miles more from me, they wanted $360 for the service and $120, for the handle bars, I told them to put the handle bars on and I will go to the dealer for the service, dang they drop the price to $320 for the service, good luck

Old 07-30-2007 | 07:18 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: Anniesage

I looked at how to install the pullback handlebars and I just don't have that kind of experience yet. So, will end up riding 30 miles to another dealer (when mine is 7 miles away)...to save some $$
I ride to a dealer 50 miles away for some types of service, rather than to the dealer 15 miles away where I bought the bike. Here's why. When I make an appointment for a certain time, they take the bike in at that time, or earlier if I get there early, and I wait for the service to be finished. I've had the bike over a year and a half, and have never, ever left it overnight at a dealer.

Anyway, you bought the bike to ride, didn't you? So what's another 23 miles one way, 30 minutes? Enjoy the ride and save money at the same time, what could be better?!

Old 07-30-2007 | 08:03 PM
Fishpart
Tourer

1,000 mile free, 5 ,000 $205.00 10,000 $205.00 laughmans HD York Pa.

Quick Reply: back to the service charges