General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutchless shifting! Who doesn't and why not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:26 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

knew a old guy back a few years ago and he ask me the same thing , he had a old BMW and a newer one he allways rode , I told him I allways used the cluch and he told me he did not have to , just to stop or take off , a little while latter I saw him on his old bike so I ask him where his new one was at ? He told me it was in the shop , something happened to the trans? never did hear what it was

Old 02-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
knew a old guy back a few years ago and he ask me the same thing , he had a old BMW and a newer one he allways rode , I told him I allways used the cluch and he told me he did not have to , just to stop or take off , a little while latter I saw him on his old bike so I ask him where his new one was at ? He told me it was in the shop , something happened to the trans? never did hear what it was
Lemme guess,....... Same oil in all three holes?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:02 PM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't use the brakes either. Just keep going until I stop.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 PM
swampfox_csa
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 10 Posts

I know exactly how many times I've done it, by mistake... twice. What's the deal? If we didn't use our clutch would we save precious time that we could then devote to ending world hunger... or to **** and Cheetos for that matter?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:43 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, lots of people that don't know crap about what they're talking about.. What's with the comments of "That's what the clutch is for" or "What would my left hand do?" Give me a freakin break. It's not a speed thing either, though it is faster.. Lot's of scaredy cats here.

It's all RPM's and roadspeed. Clutchless shifting is fine. As long as your not forcing anything. It's soo simple. Preload the shifter and blip the throttle. Works everytime.
If for some reason you find a false neutral, then slow down and select a gear. Clutches are for stopping and starting, that's about it. Your not gonna hurt it.

Last edited by GMbagger; 02-07-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:14 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been a truck driver for the last 30 years. I have logged at least two million miles Not using the clutch except for starting and stopping. Never had a tranny or clutch problem ever. The trannys some of you have seen destroyed were from guys that didn't know how to drive. I have seen more then a few of those guys.
My Harley always gets the clutch lever pulled in. We are talking about two different animals. If you don't have the ignition kill device you will destroy your tranny sooner or later.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle
Their Two brakes!
I use them both as they are on the front. I have one in the rear too, but I have as of yet to figure out how to activate it!

I do use my clutch 99% of the time. I was just interested in knowing what the Crew do!
And no I wouldn't want to risk tearing anything in my new to me bike up!
Know wut I mean! I just happened to want to know, You know!
I may be an ole dog, but I could still learn a new trick or two. Many scoots in my past, this is my first Harley. I'd been wanting one for the last Forty-five years. It's about time eh! (-; And I got what I wanted the first time! And at the right price!
I can hardly wait for more flaming! It's wut I lives 4!

Thanks all! Bob aka Turbo Turtle

TT, shifting without clutching is never a good idea if you want to keep youe tranny in one piece...No matter if it's a bike, car or truck. On a bike, it will effect your drive belt & assorted other things when you upshift. When you downshift, it's not good for your fork seals. Either way, you're damaging your bike. Take a half second & pull in your clutch if you truly love that Harley!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Juve996
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMbagger
Man, lots of people that don't know crap about what they're talking about..
A bit harsh isn't it? I'll be willing to bet that there a lot of members in here that are a whole lot smarter than the both of us put together.

It's all RPM's and roadspeed.
What?... It's a constant mesh gearbox!

If for some reason you find a false neutral
It's too late, bring out your wallet.. $$$$$

then slow down and select a gear.
Yeah tap your toes, turn around three times and do a back flip.
I got an idea, USE YOUR CLUTCH. Then you won't be in this situation in the first place.

Your not gonna hurt it.
That and $2.00 will get you a cup of Coffee..
Except at Starbucks, there it will cost you $5.00..

GM, Honestly though, with all due respect, read the first quote above. That pretty much sums it up..

Old 02-08-2010, 12:31 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Five speeds are easy to rebuild and I am sure you will get used to it too!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The clutch not only disconnects the engines power/torque to the transmission/rear wheel it also controls the percentage of power that is transmitted...slipping the clutch.

Like I said earlier you can shift without the clutch, however using the clutch disconnects the engines torque that is applied through the transmission. Not using the clutch and just backing off the throttle does NOT remove all the engines torque from the gears...this will in fact accelerate the wear and tear on the dogs, and the engagement holes in the mating gear. Once the dogs are rounded and the holes elongated the transmission will not hold the affected gear (it will pop out of gear). When shifting without the clutch is done wrong or with too much throttle applied the dogs can snap off the gear and get wedged between gear pairs and cause catastophic damage, and even bend the input and output shafts...depending how fast you are moving when the transmission locks up.

People that race and do not use their clutch frequently rebuild their bikes all the time and replace worn parts. If they don't use the clutch you can bet they scrutinize the transmission on disassembly/inspection.

Also comparing the Harley transmission to a semi's transmission is less than pointless. A semi transmission could suffer gear damage and the broken part could fall to the bottom, into several quarts of oil and sit on the bottom of the case for eternity never to create a problem. That ain't happnin on your Harley. As much torque as the engine pumps out at such a low RPM...I think I'll cut my gears some slack and use the clutch.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/transmission.htm

Tech23

Last edited by Tech23; 02-09-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutchless shifting! Who doesn't and why not?