Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutchless shifting! Who doesn't and why not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Minnesota FXDF
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle
I'm looking for technical opinions. As this is my first thread I thought I'd bring out the best.
I have always shifted my metric junk up and down through the gears without the clutch.
I think I need to know what the downside is for doing this with my new to me Scoot. The only times I have done this so far is when the rpm's are really low coming back down. Up doesn't seem to be any problem as long as all the juices are warm.
Thanks! Bob

I did it all the time on my metrics, put on tousands of miles and never had a problem. My Harley is another story, I always use the clutch.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wondering what the hell the similarities are between a Big Rig and a Harley gear box? If your Harley has gears designed to pull a few tons worth of payload.....you must have a different transmission than what my bike came with.

Even a metric to Harley comparison is not apples to apples, but still a little more realistic than comparing a Harley gear box to a Semi's gear box. Metric bikes have gear to gear primary drive where Harley has a chain that is flopping around making for slight variances in input shaft speed...enough variance to make "matching gear speed" (when you back off the throttle the upper run of the primary chain goes slack) a little more difficult to make that "self syncronized" shift. Matching gear to road speed on a metric bike is very easy and their transmissions will fall effortlessly from one gear to the next. Again....can it be done, yes....was it designed for it....no. HD makes lot's of replacement parts...I'm sure they would be happy to sell you whatever you eventually destroy. Like BUCKETASS said, everything a Tech disassembles tells a story. There is a difference between normal wear and tear and abuse...an experienced Tech has no trouble seeing the difference on inspection.

Tech23

Last edited by Tech23; 02-04-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

shifting with out the clutch weares out the edges of the gears, would get real expensive real fast

Old 02-04-2010, 11:16 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WTF would you choose to abuse a fine piece of equipment that way?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If I wanted a shift without a clutch I'd get an automatic. I've always enjoyed using the clutch, shifting the gears, playing with the throttle and such. I'd lose some of my pleasure if I had to skip one of the parts. Plus and old timer on a dirt bike asked me once how long I wanted my bike to last without dropping some bucks on the mechanics. Since then I've always thought the longer the better.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Motocross/Dirt bikes fine to shift without the clutch, did it a lot when racing, never had a problem, but a dirtbike used for motocross racing never lasts very many years anyhow, so the whole bike is wore out before the gears go. even then, most of my racing i shifted using the clutch, didnt take long to realize all i had to do was hold it wide open, give the clutch lever a tiny tug at each shift and it was smoother and faster than a full pull or no pull of the clucth.

There aint no way in the world i would shift my Harley without using the clutch, hell it already bangs each gear hard enough with a clutch, why would i multiply that banging of gears by 100% not using the clutch..but hey, if you dont mind fixing the tranny on your bike, go on ahead and ride it that way, it is yours after all

Old 02-05-2010, 07:11 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 328 Likes on 223 Posts

This is a Harley not a Peterbuilt

Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
I thought Autopilot only came on Goldwings. How'd you get one?
I think snooze control would be more like it.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:49 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Few words: Absolutely nuts not using clutch !.

Thorey

Old 02-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Lord_Rahl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i only did it to my metrics when racing. and i still went through clutches. not sure id be willing to do it to my harley. it cost to much for me to buy ebay clutches all the time

Quick Reply: Clutchless shifting! Who doesn't and why not?