Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutchless shifting! Who doesn't and why not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:39 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

I've ridden with guys who don't use the clutch if they are rolling. Did it on metrics and in their cars too.
These were the same guys that had transmission noises and problems, and wore out chains and sprockets more often than I did. I was riding more because my bikes weren't torn down.

Their fork seals usually were leaking and their rear tires were usually bald. Its all about your attitude and how you treat your stuff.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:55 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Never thought about shifting w/o the clutch. What's the purpose or benefit of doing this? The risks?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 AM
supercrewser
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle
I'm looking for technical opinions. As this is my first thread I thought I'd bring out the best.
I have always shifted my metric junk up and down through the gears without the clutch.
I think I need to know what the downside is for doing this with my new to me Scoot. The only times I have done this so far is when the rpm's are really low coming back down. Up doesn't seem to be any problem as long as all the juices are warm.
Thanks! Bob
Not to beat a dead horse but... you did say "I have always shifted my metric junk". Junk being the operative word here. We aint ridin big rigs dude use the clutch and take care of that expensive tranny.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Clutchless shifting is not recommended for any clutched transmission, big rigs included! Does it happen and can it happen, yah,,,,,,but not a one of the builders of these transmissions would recommend it. The clutch is there to facilitate smooth meshing of the gears and an impact free engagement of the drive line. Use it for the longevity of your driveline.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Back in the days of the Indian Woodsman, we used to just stomp the gear lever with the throttle wide open. They were set up with 1st gear was up, and the rest were down. Made it real easy to shift without the clutch. I have gotten older, (69), and don't do that no mo.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 AM
supercrewser
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive shifted gears in trucks in the past without the clutch , if you can feather the throttle and find the sweet spot its not a problem.Takes some time but if you know your truck its helpful in saving wear on the clutch just dont force it in.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

With a good magnetic drain plug probably won't hurt anything.....until one of the dogs snaps off a gear and gets wedged between a gear pair. The clutch is there to take the torque load off the gears and aid in shifting. Yea, it will go from gear to gear without it (more easily when input shaft speed matches output shaft speed = syncronized) but you will accelerate wear and tear when the gear change is "forced". I ride off road too, I still use the clutch to shift when I can reach it (99% of the time), unless the front end is up.

Tech23

Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Led Zeppelin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds kind of like guys not using both brakes.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:41 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

[QUOTE=Led Zeppelin;6199814]Sounds kind of like guys not using both brakes.[/QUOTE]

Theres two brakes???????........

Old 02-04-2010, 11:07 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

two brakes...no way, I looked on both sides of my wheel and there was only one. All jokes aside my advice would be that since there IS a clutch you can use it if you want, or not.
If you borrow my ride I ask that you do use the clutch, sometimes I don't myself but then again it is my ride. John

Quick Reply: Clutchless shifting! Who doesn't and why not?