General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutchless shifting! Who doesn't and why not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supercrewser
Ive shifted gears in trucks in the past without the clutch , if you can feather the throttle and find the sweet spot its not a problem.Takes some time but if you know your truck its helpful in saving wear on the clutch just dont force it in.

Sorry Dude

Save wear and tear on a clutch and destroy a transmission costing many many thousands to fix.

Clutches were designed to be used on Tractor trailers, motorcycles, cars, you name it for a reason.

I cannot think of a single reason other than all out drag racing(maybe) where you would not use a clutch. Oh yeah- The drag racers are also rebuilding their trannys every week,,,,, by choice.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:36 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Boy this ones hurting my head. Motorcycle and car transmissions are completely different. A motorcycle has a constant mesh sequential gearbox without synchronizers. All that's required to make a normal shift is the need to momentarily unload the gearbox when shifting. It will safely shift into the next gear. Down shifting is an invitation to locking the wheel but up shifting can be smoother than using the clutch. All it takes is a slight twitch of the throttle,even at WOT to make a smooth clutch less up shift. I think BMW even offers a shift assist option on its 175HP K1300S bikes. It must momentarily interrupt power for a fraction of a second when you toe the shifter. WOT clutch less up shifts and a full warranty. If that won't convince the doubters I'm out of ideas.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

My A$$hole says to use the clutch,,, others, can do whatever they want...It theirs..

Old 02-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Boy this ones hurting my head. Motorcycle and car transmissions are completely different. A motorcycle has a constant mesh sequential gearbox without synchronizers. All that's required to make a normal shift is the need to momentarily unload the gearbox when shifting. It will safely shift into the next gear. Down shifting is an invitation to locking the wheel but up shifting can be smoother than using the clutch. All it takes is a slight twitch of the throttle,even at WOT to make a smooth clutch less up shift. I think BMW even offers a shift assist option on its 175HP K1300S bikes. It must momentarily interrupt power for a fraction of a second when you toe the shifter. WOT clutch less up shifts and a full warranty. If that won't convince the doubters I'm out of ideas.

Exactly. BMW offers a way to upshift without the clutch. Know why> Because the're tired of people destroying their trannys on warranty & can say it's not their problem.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer

Under normal circumstances I always use the clutch. But there have been times when I did not: During the worst times of my dequrvanes tendenitis on my old bike it hurt a lot to make the clutch pull and I regularly upshifted without it and had no problems. After a while the tendonitis got better and I never shifted again without the clutch.

Then I broke my wrist in December. Mostly I stayed off the bike, but when weather permitted and my itch got too bad to control, once again I rode and only used the clutch for downshifts and stops. No problems again.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 AM
clarksd
2nd Gear

I do it all of the time. 70k on 99 RK. One of the reasons that I don't use the clutch is because I know that it bugs the hell out of people that want everyone to do things the way they do them. If someone backs their car into a parking space in the senior community that my Grandmother lives in they all freakout and talk about it for weeks.
Can't we all just get along? No! I guess if you want to go against society now days you have to ride a Honda.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:36 AM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What I'm implying is really hard to say. Over the years of shifting without a clutch you develope a "Feel". I know when I'm shifting too hard or when I need to give it alittle more. Done right, it just glides in. You get to know when it's alright to shift and when not to. It all becomes second nature over time as you get to know your bike. Kinda like we all know just how much clutch to give your bike as you pull away from a stop. You don't think about it, you just do it.
If I came off harsh, I didn't mean to.... too much. I can't stand people speaking up that don't have a clue. It's an irritation of mine.