Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutchless shifting! Who doesn't and why not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:26 PM
myglide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's your tranny. It's your money. Beat it like you want to.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:15 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

I learned to shift without a clutch in 1963 with my Impala 409. During the first 6 months of ownership, I went through three transmissions, a pressure plate and an engine. Some how the clutch made it. GM did the motor and one transmission. After that they said goodbye. I didn't mind as I called it intertainment tax.

Then, I grew up and quit being as stupid.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin
Sounds kind of like guys not using both brakes.[/QUOTE]

Theres two brakes???????........
Huh ?!?!?!? THAT'S what I was gonna aks !!!!!! You guys gots 2 ????

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Back in the days of the Indian Woodsman, we used to just stomp the gear lever with the throttle wide open. They were set up with 1st gear was up, and the rest were down. Made it real easy to shift without the clutch. I have gotten older, (69), and don't do that no mo.
Some people STILL set 'em up that way. Can work effectively as an anti-theft device, also.
They keep trying to take off in 2nd. VERY Effective on a kick start !!!! Bwahahahahaha

As such, 'some times' when I am rolling thru a town, accelerating on the 'other side', I jus' ease off the throttle and push down steady on the shifter. You can 'sense' when it's matched, and it slides right into fourth, no prob. (I'm trying to finish my smoke, and it's gettin' "breezy" at 50+)

But the dogs take too much of a beating doing it A LOT.
Riding Dusty's "rocket", use it for starting and stopping, almost exclusively. Synchroed vs Constant mesh. BUT, JMFUO, as 'ooze-all'.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GMbagger
It's all RPM's and roadspeed.

It's all RPM's and roadspeed.
What?... It's a constant mesh gearbox!
Constant mesh, but it's rotation speed varies with the vehicle speed.
You match the rpm's, she'll slide in like a warm knife in butter.
Once you find that "happy spot", she'll shift perfect for you every time.

Those that ain't been around big trucks, have no clue! He he! They teach this stuff in Truck driving school.
It's common, it's normal,..... yet "stupid" to the uneducated souls.
So funny to watch them throw insults, when the mirror will show them the dumb one.

Not sayin' I recommend it on the bike, especially for those that have no clue about rpm matching,..... but it indeed is a real life thing that many truck drivers benefit very well from. If you don't "get it", it's your loss, not theirs.

Closed minds suck. They learn squat.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:18 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you. Finally, someone that knows something NOT based on hearsay.

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Constant mesh, but it's rotation speed varies with the vehicle speed.
You match the rpm's, she'll slide in like a warm knife in butter.
Once you find that "happy spot", she'll shift perfect for you every time.

Those that ain't been around big trucks, have no clue! He he! They teach this stuff in Truck driving school.
It's common, it's normal,..... yet "stupid" to the uneducated souls.
So funny to watch them throw insults, when the mirror will show them the dumb one.

Not sayin' I recommend it on the bike, especially for those that have no clue about rpm matching,..... but it indeed is a real life thing that many truck drivers benefit very well from. If you don't "get it", it's your loss, not theirs.

Closed minds suck. They learn squat.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:29 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what I'm talking about. I mentioned false neutrals as it can happen with or without the clutch. If it happens, your trans isn't toast. You slow down, clutch it and up shift. The last thing you want is to try and force it back into gear at highspeeds/RPM's. You know what causes most false neutrals? The rider not using enough force on the shifter. It happens.

All I've read is a bunch of stories and hearsay that really have no merit to clutchless shifting and usually the misfortune quoted is a one sided story where we don't know the real ending of it. Then a bunch that don't know squat, jump on the bandwagon quoting false facts. But hey, that happens everywhere with everything. FWIW, I clutch it on downshifts while blipping the throttle to match the rpm's to the shift. I'm not gonna even try to explain that one here... LOL

There always a right way to do something and a wrong way. Everyone has there own way, I'm go clutchless.

Originally Posted by Juve996
A bit harsh isn't it? I'll be willing to bet that there a lot of members in here that are a whole lot smarter than the both of us put together.

What?... It's a constant mesh gearbox!

It's too late, bring out your wallet.. $$$$$

Yeah tap your toes, turn around three times and do a back flip.
I got an idea, USE YOUR CLUTCH. Then you won't be in this situation in the first place.

That and $2.00 will get you a cup of Coffee..
Except at Starbucks, there it will cost you $5.00..

GM, Honestly though, with all due respect, read the first quote above. That pretty much sums it up..

Last edited by GMbagger; 02-08-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Juve996
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There always a right way to do something and a wrong way. Everyone has there own way, I'm go clutchless.
I'm good with that..

Cheers..

Old 02-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what I'm talking about. I mentioned false neutrals as it can happen with or without the clutch. If it happens, your trans isn't toast. You slow down, clutch it and up shift. The last thing you want is to try and force it back into gear at highspeeds/RPM's. You know what causes most false neutrals? The rider not using enough force on the shifter. It happens.

All I've read is a bunch of stories and hearsay that really have no merit to clutchless shifting and usually the misfortune quoted is a one sided story where we don't know the real ending of it. Then a bunch that don't know squat, jump on the bandwagon quoting false facts. But hey, that happens everywhere with everything. FWIW, I clutch it on downshifts while blipping the throttle to match the rpm's to the shift. I'm not gonna even try to explain that one here... LOL

Another cause might be worn dogs on transmission gears....

The right way only minimizes the torque being transmitted through the gearset and the impact it has during the shift. Using the clutch eliminates any torque through the gearset during the shift, because the clutch when disengaged disconnects the engine from the transmission. The damage is not immediate but you are "chipping away" at the dogs. Again take a look at the heft of a semi transmission then look at your HD transmission...please feel free to point out the similarities. When you do...start with the clutch and work your way back.

Tech23

Old 02-09-2010, 07:25 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I've posted on this thread a couple of times, it'd be nice if the folks who talk the talk, could walk the walk. You know who you are. Talk crap and spit it out as gospel, what a joke!

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 02-09-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 466 Likes on 192 Posts

I would use it. I dont think that the newer Harleys have straight cut gears.

Quick Reply: Clutchless shifting! Who doesn't and why not?