General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U see some dudes stealing Ur bike, Can we shoot them??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:04 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you carry then you better get really familiar with the laws in your state. The above replies come from all over the US so they are essentially worthless guidance in YOUR state. The exception might be the one from the Phillipines who learned on a video game. I do not have a carry license and don't want one, but I have figured out that just because you can legally carry does not mean you can legally use it and if you are carrying illegally probably the best way to use it and save a lot of grief would be to shoot yourself. What you NEED to carry is some insurance and get a replacement bike that doesn't need an oil change.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Can't say untill it happens, but I would probably kill the SOBs if I could! Years ago, maybe not, but NOW, I just don't have too much patience with damn thieves.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:54 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
Can't say untill it happens, but I would probably kill the SOBs if I could! Years ago, maybe not, but NOW, I just don't have too much patience with damn thieves.
I know what you mean.
The Republic of Texas would let you kill the bastard!!!
The Commonwealth of "Liberal" Pennsylvania would lock me up.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

No matter the law,just do not trust the legal system.You read horror stories all the time about how bad justice can be.I suppose if they were inside my garage,which is always closed the lead might fly.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:08 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best answer is this one. You still have to be careful even in Texas with our gun laws. We don't have to be retreating now to shoot someone but you still need a plausible justification. In practicality you could probably get away with shooting them if they were taking your property with them but it will still cost you. There will be a hearing, lawyers, and possible lawsuits.
Originally Posted by pgpn
depends. I would draw mine to hold them for cops. If they caused me to fear for my safety I would defend myself. If they turned and ran away then no I would not shoot.

Last edited by oldairboater; 02-03-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the new castle law in Mi. you don't have to retreat. You can't shoot someone for stealing property and leaving, however if you got in their face, and then felt threatened.....
In any case, you'll be aarrested until they investigate, so have a lawyer handy.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
jdallenemtp
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would rather get a good description and plate number of the van, let the insurance company buy me a new bike then, pay the bastard a visit in the middle of the night. Now thats Justice.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Make My Day!

Originally Posted by oct1949
Just read an article where one brother came upon some A$$holes that had loaded up his bike and was driving away, he was stunned and all he had time to do was stand in front of the van. Yelling at them he had to jump out of the way to keep from being run over...

So I was wondering how myself or others would handle it if we came upon 3or4 dudes stealing our bike.??..I do pack some times, but it would/could get messy real quick..

Depends on where you live in the country, in the south they have passed a lot of stand your ground laws such as the one in Texas that not only allows you to protect your own property but your neighbor's as well.

Just to be on the safe side most of us also carry a drop gun for situations like this, wipe it and stick it in their dead hand! Clear case of self defense

Old 02-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
Just to be on the safe side most of us also carry a drop gun for situations like this, wipe it and stick it in their dead hand! Clear case of self defense

Really? Where'd you get that "drop gun"? Cause every gun sold in this country since 1968 can be traced to the original buyer. Even if you got it from your uncle's, cousin's, brother's, best friend's, momma, it can be traced backed through the first buyer. So unless the original buyer is dead (and is not related to you in anyway), or you stole it or you bought it prior to 1968 you're screwed. Now, I don't really think you carry one, I think you were either just joking or talking keyboard smack. But if you do a) you better know it's origins, and b) you aren't very smart talking about it on a public forum that records IP addresses....just saying.

and yeah, I was a Homicide Investigator so i know what they will be looking at and for in a shooting case.

Last edited by Big Pig; 02-03-2010 at 10:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (01-28-2024)
Old 02-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Butch Kromrey
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they tried to run over you with the van,that was deadly force, you should be able to shoot back if you were packing....

Quick Reply: U see some dudes stealing Ur bike, Can we shoot them??