General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U see some dudes stealing Ur bike, Can we shoot them??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:17 AM
mr xr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless the law in your area burdens you with having to surrender your property to thieves, the only way they could take it from you would be by seroius bodily harm or threat of death.... Gets a little iffy from there, depending on the DA's attifude, etc.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since a few of the keyboard cowboys like to say they'd shoot the bastards, I guess it's ok for me to say I could just walk my kitty out to show him to my newfound freinds who wanted nothing more than to get a closer look at my bike...

Just had another thought...
What if you happened to come upon some one trying to steel yer bike so you took aim and fired, only to find out yer wife called 'Overhaulin' or 'Pimp My Ride' to get yer bike done up right, and you just shot Chip Foose or some other celebrity? That would be a shot in the *** wouldn't it? HEY! It COULD happen!

Last edited by CroK; 02-03-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:35 AM
mr xr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice kitty....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jun11ng8WaM

Attached Thumbnails U see some dudes stealing Ur bike, Can we shoot them??-bf4ec4b01206c604.jpg  

Last edited by mr xr; 02-03-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Whether or not you could legally shoot them for stealing your bike depends on where you are. Laws vary. A responsible gun owner would be aware of the applicable laws in their jurisdiction.

In the described scenario, there is the additional question of whether one would be justified in shooting someone who is attempting to run them over.

Even if you are justified, a judge or jury may not see it that way. In Hollywood, if you are a good guy and you shoot a bad guy (or 100 bad guys), it's always OK. If cops do show up, they already know who the good guys and bad guys are and all the details of what happened and they just left the good guy walk away. In the real world, it's more likely just you and the bad guy who know who is who and what happened between you. The cops will investigate. Your position may be difficult or impossible to prove. If you claim self defense, you are pleading guilty with mitigating circumstances and giving up your presumption of innocence. If you go to trial and lose, you end up with a murder conviction and a long prison term. In many cases, you'd end up taking a plea deal and a short prison sentence.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:39 AM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
So I was wondering how myself or others would handle it if we came upon 3or4 dudes stealing our bike.??..I do pack some times, but it would/could get messy real quick..
Let State Farm buy me an new one and start the cutomizing fun alll over again...LOL

Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do it right, there will only be one person telling the story. Just make sure you remember all the "details".

Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

AS you're shooting, make DAMMT sure you make 'some contact' with the van.
Then it is "Assault with a deadly weapon" on their part.
Thusly, a GOOD shoot.
And your DNA will be on the front of the van, for PROOF, if they so desire to 'prosecute'.

Description and tag # are better, tho.
Psst, Think - Friends in LOW places, here.

And then, turn it in to your agent.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 AM
FLHX08
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use to install Alarms in homes and businesses. I was at a bar and this question came up from a customer who asked if someone robbed them when should they push the silent panic alarm I just installed. I told them to wait until they're on the way out as it could be your life in the end that gets taken. A cop was sitting at the bar and agreed in this scenario.

He also said if you were in your home and armed and someone broke in to shoot them and then put a steak knife in their hand for when the police showed up you could say it was self defense. He also said that when pulling a gun out be sure your going to use it as a thief will not hesitate and if they're armed will shoot first. One second of hesitation would be your life.

SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,293 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by WildThang
Let State Farm buy me an new one and start the cutomizing fun alll over again...LOL
Yea, minus the depreciation...you'd be screwed unless you had a full replacement policy.

In TX, horse thieves were hanged by the nearest tree.

Last edited by SBRob; 02-03-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

If you are defending yourself or others inside your house (dwelling) you are safe to fire away.Once outside it is not as cut and dry. However, if you stand in from of a vehicle to justify shooting at it, you are going to spend some time at the gray bar hotel. And remember, you are responsible for every round you fire. If you miss and hit little Johnny Jackson standing on the side of the road to watch, well you had better stock up on some soap on a rope.

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (01-28-2024)

Quick Reply: U see some dudes stealing Ur bike, Can we shoot them??