General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U see some dudes stealing Ur bike, Can we shoot them??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Snakeeyes Cody
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's better to be judge by twelve, Then be carry by six!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Desertdog7
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pococj
(Always wanted to say this!) You ain't from around here, are ya, boy?
I guess he's not. These city slikers don't know much about country folk/ways

Old 02-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertdog7
I....country folk/ways
Best folks out there. I try to get out of the city at every opportunity. People wave at ya, pull over and let you pass, strike up a conversation, smile, and are not in a hurry.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Desertdog7
Cruiser

All you people make me laugh when this kinda post come up. everybody is so quick to shoot somebody, Over a bike? I think not. Its not worth the worry of the judgement that might fall apon you. we can all sit here and talk about laws... dosn't mean thats how the courts will rule. Yeah (some) of us might pack. dosn't mean you can open fire at the time of the stealing. don't forget about the innocent people around the scene of the crime. I really find it funny... seems a lot of people that pack, they think they have more the right to shoot someone because they hold a CHL, like that makes them different or more justifide. Actually... i think its not worth the money and it makes you a even bigger target for the courts. I live in Tejas and the rules are different here, i know. It all comes down to fight or flight. If its not a family member or a loved one.... call 911 and let them deal with it.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So in Texas if you see someone walking off your property carrying some expensive Item you can just walk up behind him and blast him? Not sure how that would play out in court

I tell you what the following would never happen in Texas:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingn...house_cle.html

If it did you would have a mass killing from the property owner

Old 02-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Andjh123
Tourer

Here's a decent story, semi-related to the OP topic:

A friend I work with had his garage door opener go missing awhile back. A few nights afterward he goes outside to find his garage door open, his dual-sport bike missing and his sport bike still in place, so he reports the dual sport as stolen. Locks his garage door during the next day/night (as opposed to changing the code right away) just to see what happens.

So this next night he hung out in a room adjoining his garage so he could hear things better and sure enough, around midnight or so, he hears a clanking noise like the garage door binding while trying to raise against the lock. Getting immediately fired up and not necessarily thinking clearly at that moment, he runs outside barefooted and wearing only shorts to find two alleged thieves (likely returning for the other bike) who immediately take off running. He chases the slower of the thieves down after a few hundred yards, tackles the guy from behind, sends a few elbows to his face and then proceeds to adjust his shoulder via arm-bar. About this time the thief's other buddy, in an unusual show of courage or camaraderie or whatever, decides to come back wielding a knife and slashes up my my buddy a bit before he (my buddy) decides that it's no longer a fight he wishes to pursue.

Thieves take off for good, cops are called...moral of the story, no charges pressed on anyone, dual-sport not recovered, the thieves were never apprehended--although the investigator(s) told him that same night/morning two guys had checked in to an ER in St Louis (~2 hrs drive away) one of which had a banged up face and shoulder that had been recently re-located. My buddy replaced his dual sport with some other wickedly fast sport bike.

Last edited by Andjh123; 02-04-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: proofread it after posting
Old 02-05-2010, 12:33 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
It's a good thing all of those "gangs" in Chicago don't carry any guns.
Of course they don't. Especially not handguns. King Daley banned handguns in the city years ago. Gang bangers aren't stupid - getting busted for murder is one thing, but if they find out you were illegally in possession of a handgun, you're REALLY in trouble!

I was in a gun shop just past the city border - two young gentlemen of color came in and proceeded to request boxes of numerous types of ammo. Probably just a collector of fine antique weaponry.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:01 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Not quite. Someone caught in the act of committing a crime is not presumed innocent. If a cop sees them committing a crime and arrests them for it, yes, they are innocent until proven guilty. Deadly force becomes an option when you are the victim of or witness a crime being committed.
everyone has a right to a fair and speedy trial, due process, judgement by peers, etc etc etc. its the american way. well, it was.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
It's a good thing all of those "gangs" in Chicago don't carry any guns.
Will.. thats a really good point...

Last edited by oct1949; 02-05-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Certainteed
everyone has a right to a fair and speedy trial, due process, judgement by peers, etc etc etc. its the american way. well, it was.
Yup. What's your point?

Do you think a cop, or citizen, seeing a man attacking and beating a woman cannot legally presume that man is guilty and take appropriate action - up to and including lethal force?

Do you think a cop or citizen being attacked by someone cannot legally presume the person attacking them is guilty of attacking them, and take appropriate action - up to and including lethal force?

Quick Reply: U see some dudes stealing Ur bike, Can we shoot them??