General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U see some dudes stealing Ur bike, Can we shoot them??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 AM
NAMVET
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on where you live, I think Fl. just changed that law. Here in Md. you must retreat.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 AM
wkdayridr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CroK
Since a few of the keyboard cowboys like to say they'd shoot the bastards, I guess it's ok for me to say I could just walk my kitty out to show him to my newfound freinds who wanted nothing more than to get a closer look at my bike...

Just had another thought...
What if you happened to come upon some one trying to steel yer bike so you took aim and fired, only to find out yer wife called 'Overhaulin' or 'Pimp My Ride' to get yer bike done up right, and you just shot Chip Foose or some other celebrity? That would be a shot in the *** wouldn't it? HEY! It COULD happen!

HAHAHA........now THAT would be funny as hell!!! I never thought of that happening but that would be quite the news story, wouldn't it!!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
So you guys are willing pay a lawyer $100,000 to get you out of long term jail for killing someone stealing your $20K insured bike???
C'mon guys, this is the real world, not TV series.
Just curious.

Do French bikers help the thieves load their bikes into the van ?

In Texas you can shoot the thief and are protected from lawsuits.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex Rider
Just curious.

Do French bikers help the thieves load their bikes into the van ?

In Texas you can shoot the thief and are protected from lawsuits.
Sure, you know we're known for surrendering quickly, don't you?

And how exactly are you protected from lawsuits in Texas? Anyone can sue you, even in Texas, especially if there's homicide and you'll have to pay a lawyer to defend yourself. This costs mucho $$$, much more than a bike, which, once again, is most likely insured against theft.
But hey, it's your call, not mine.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont know how it is everywhere else, but in Missouri, I can defend myself with deadly force anytime, anyplace i feel my life is threatened, and thats what you say if you are forced to shoot someone "I was scared for my life".
. Defending yourself isn't as defined as one thinks. Case in point - An acquaintance of mine returned home one evening to find a guy inside his house. A struggle insued and the intruder was choked to death via a headlock (esophagus crushed). After the investigation a law suit was filed by the deceased family. It was later revealed the intruder was mentally disabled from childbirth and in his confusion and circumstances of that evening, entered the wrong house within the neighborhood. The guy had no criminal background or history of violence, no concealed weapon, and no forced entry into the house.
Criminal charges weren't filed against the homeowner, however, he paid thousands in defense fees, and unfortunately, the incident will disturb him for his entire life. He had to sell his home and move.
Discharging a firearm - you better be damn careful on all circumstances, then pray there's no legal ramifications. Your freedom and/or any assets you may have accumulated over your lifespan may be subjected to forfeiture.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Sure, you know we're known for surrendering quickly, don't you?

And how exactly are you protected from lawsuits in Texas? Anyone can sue you, even in Texas, especially if there's homicide and you'll have to pay a lawyer to defend yourself. This costs mucho $$$, much more than a bike, which, once again, is most likely insured against theft.
But hey, it's your call, not mine.
Google Texas Castle Laws and Castle Doctrine.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:51 AM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I FL yes you can if you are holding your ground. Remember - only shoot to kill and don't pull your gun unless you plan on killing and can live with that decision.

I did want to add that if I saw it loaded up no you can not shoot but if someone was trying to pull me off my bike (same as reach in your car) yes you can defend yourself - hold your ground theory. You can't go around shooting people in the back as they are running away cause you are no longer in fear for you life - taking your junk when it's parked is not putting you at risk. You can shoot to stop any forcable felony here in Flori-duh. Taking a life is not a lot of fun - no glamor in seeing a person bleed out and die no matter how bad they pissed you off. Sucks more if you just wound em. Yes I pack legal and often.

Last edited by C O L E M A N F U; 02-04-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:00 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure you can shoot him,,,,, just be ready to pay for it with time spent in prison and money in defense fees. Seriously now, I think this is a question that need to be asked of a lawyer and judge more then a group of motorcycle enthusiasts, no disrespect to anyone who has posted an answer or will post.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stealing a bike in New England states, Lawyer on Speed dial, he's looks to be within 9 yards and may be armed, don't look like the type who will leave a witness! What should I do?

Stealing a bike in Ky., Bang, Bang,Bang! Halt drop that bike!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:25 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex Rider
Google Texas Castle Laws and Castle Doctrine.
I did and it's not clear that a motorcycle is considered a "Castle", unlike a house or a car. The notion of intrusion in the case of a motorcycle parked on the street is very unclear.
Anyway, I wouldn't kill someone because he stole my bike. I'd write down the plate #, description of the vehicle and the perpetrator(s), possibly follow them discretely and call the cops with all the information.
My insurance will take care of compensating me, and I have gap insurance to cover whatever loss I have.

Quick Reply: U see some dudes stealing Ur bike, Can we shoot them??