General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navi/GPS Input

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:05 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navi/GPS Input

Want your ideas on aftermarket Navi/GPS With mounts. Just not willing to spend what HD wants for theirs when there are many others out there to be had. My question is, what brands will work well with some kind of aftermarket mounts that look clean and lean. Also wondering if there is one brand over another with some kind of universal mount that will lock on, slide on, over the back plate of some Navi units. Costco has some decent prices on Tom Toms if I recall, was either $99.00 or $199 they are clearing out. I've seen some mounts in the J&P Cycle catalog and have to wonder what they mount up to. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personaly I use a Garmin 265wt without a problem.A lot of people here use non-Harley GPS.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also looking to get a cheap Garmin at Wally-Marts and instead of mounting the thing on the bars, I thought I'd try a magnetic "tank-bag". I've seen these tank bags and I guess they hold a host of small items, but the thing that I'm counting on is the clear plastic top pouch where the map goes. I'd just as soon look down at my tank as clutter up the handlebars. The el'cheapo gps's are not water proof - so I'm hoping the tank bag will shed water until I can get stopped and remove it.

I'm not gonna keep it on the bike at all times, so I'm hoping my idea will work.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a RAM Mount…… and any GPS unit you want. The ones made for motorcycles are waterproof, but you don’t HAVE to have a waterproof GPS unit necessarily. Some people use a ziplock bag on theirs. I just took mine off while in the rain.

This universal mount is the one I used and it worked like a charm:
http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/ram-b-149z-pd2-mioc220.htm

I had a cheap little Mio C220 and rigged up a wiring harness (be sure to get a proper wiring harness with a voltage regulator matching your GPS unit and a fuse). Wired it under the dash and there you go…..

I could have used the shorter arm length on my RAM Mount, but the longer one brings it closer to me. You can use those RAM Mounts for cameras too. Pretty kick ***. Very popular here. http://www.ram-mount.com/

Old 02-01-2010, 03:34 PM
mike camp
Tourer

garmin nuvi 255w works both in my truck and on my bike . ram mount makes systems to mount it on the bars . am now looking at a chrome mount that goes on the bars .

Old 02-01-2010, 04:16 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Excellent! So far I'm liking that RAM mount! Please keep them coming I need to see and hear more options. Glad I asked this question!

Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 PM
grw
Advanced

I was looking at the Harley/Garmin GPS but, lots of bucks! I already had an Iphone which comes with Google maps which is of some use but not a full blown GPS. Searched the internet and found out there are a couple of GPS applications (Navigon and Tom Tom are two) that can be downloaded to the Iphone. I orderd the Navigon for $59.00 and mounted the Iphone on the handle bars witha devide from ram-mount.com for $39.00. I charge the Iphone from the cigarette lighted and run the audio cable to the AUX input. Now I have Navigation, music, and phone all in one small device that I can snap in an out in a few seconds for around $100.00.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:07 PM
CaptainCHet
Cruiser

Garmin 265WT here as well. Ram mount!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CaptainCHet
Garmin 265WT here as well. Ram mount!

What kind/type/brand clamp is that? I like the chrome one better.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:28 PM
CaptainCHet
Cruiser

Quick Reply: Navi/GPS Input