General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navi/GPS Input

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:45 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
I will check that out. Thank you. You can download from that site and load onto your GPS?
Some are free and some you have to pay. I just look for the freebies!

Old 02-10-2010, 02:43 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

my question is....these GPS units will show you fastest or shortest routes but what if you know which way you want to go.....you have to punch in almost every stop for the unit to follow the path you wish to take and then once you punch in a certain amount of stops it won't allow you to punch in anymore.....or do they allow you to put in as many as is needed for the trip?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Brightonrider
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Garmin 205 with a Ram Mount.
Works great...doesn't seem to mind the vibration at all.
Only bad thing is it's hard to see in the bright sun light.
Notice a lot of replies saying they used the Garmin 265. I'm wondering if it is better than the 205...as far as brightness of display.
Thanks
RonC

Old 02-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Brightonrider
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plug into cigarette lighter

I noticed that several people said they plugged their GPS units into their cigarette lighters. My RoadGlide has a real small lighter on the farring. Can you buy a cord to plug into that? Sure would be easier than rewiring. I'm using a Garmin 205 Numi with a Ram Mount.
Thanks
RonC

Old 02-10-2010, 03:34 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
my question is....these GPS units will show you fastest or shortest routes but what if you know which way you want to go.....you have to punch in almost every stop for the unit to follow the path you wish to take and then once you punch in a certain amount of stops it won't allow you to punch in anymore.....or do they allow you to put in as many as is needed for the trip?

Just enter your destination and go where you want, the GPS will always re calculate the route to find where your at and tell you where to go from your current position.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:36 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Brightonrider
I noticed that several people said they plugged their GPS units into their cigarette lighters. My RoadGlide has a real small lighter on the farring. Can you buy a cord to plug into that? Sure would be easier than rewiring. I'm using a Garmin 205 Numi with a Ram Mount.
Thanks
RonC

I would think it's a standard 12V lighter plug, so yes, use the 12V plug that came with the unit.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:38 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

For my next question, does anyone know if the Bare Wire Kit can be shortened to remove excess wire. These Dynas don't have much room under the seat. I'm curious if the length of the bare wire is in any way calibrated to the built in Voltage Reg... If not, I want to shorten the wire.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:51 AM
dataman2
Advanced

I am planning to put a Garmin 500 or 550 on my scoot. I do have a cigarette lighter/12V adapter that plugs into my battery tender connector. If I use this as the power source and simply run the 12V cigarette lighter adapter from the batter tender plug to the handlebar will I have sufficient voltage protection?

Old 02-27-2010, 12:23 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

I Would say yes! The tender connector is tied directly to the battery and your power cord for the GPS should have the built in regulator. You're good to go.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Barely
5th Gear

I've been using a Garmin 200W with a RAM mount for years without any problems with the GPS itself. This was stated earlier, but don't be fooled into thinking that more expensive GPS units designed for bikes are shock-proof. They are all considered solid-state electronics. As for the more expensive bike model units being waterproof, this can be overcome also. My Garmin 200W has survived light to medium downpours, but keep in mind that it's located behind the batwing of my Street Glide and don't get water forced into the unit from wind. Also, if I'm going on a long trip, I've simply used some clear tape to cover the rear speaker opening and I've pretty much made it waterproof. If you have your GPS mounted out in the direct wind, then this might not help. But behind a windshield or fairing, a little clear tape on the rear covering the speaker holes has worked perfectly. I don't listen to the GPS speak directions on the bike anyway. And back home for the vehicle, I just remove the tape and I'm back to having the GPS talk while in the car.

Now here is my only issue. I'm on my 4th directwire kit from the Gilsson manufactuer. Seems like the vibrations from my bike is shaking the voltage converter in-line of the direct-wire kit too much. I called Gilsson, and they suggested using silicon caulking inside the unit. Well, I'm now on my 2nd Gilsson directwire kit that I've open the unit with 2 easy to remove screws and filled the voids with silicon caulking. Wondering if you guys are having any better success? If this last attempt don't work, then I'm gonna try mounting the OEM cigarette adapter inside the batwing with another adapter.

Quick Reply: Navi/GPS Input