General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deer avoidance

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:16 AM
BLMC
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts
Default deer avoidance

Does anyone have any experience with the hornet electronic deer avoidance system?

Old 02-01-2010, 11:23 AM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Living in Wisconsin around my area we have a fair sized dear population with the corn fields and a lake all with in a short walking distance so deer population has always been an issue and I have seen many wrecked vehicles (bikes & cars) smashed up that had a deer avoidance system on them. I do not think any of them work worth a darn !

Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

Deer don't know they're 'sposed to avoid them things...

I avoid them.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:51 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 711 Likes on 353 Posts

+3. Seems like a waste of money to me.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:56 AM
brewer77
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep a loaded pitol on hand and shoot it if they are on the shoulder up ahead...even if you miss they do know to run when they hear gunfire....

Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Every article I've read and even the leading consumer mag says they haven't find one that does what it claims...

Old 02-01-2010, 12:51 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Plenty of deer up this way, and nothing, I repeat nothing, seems to keep them at bay. I've had friends say the stupid deer avoidance devices actually got the deer attention, and startled them into running at them. Just say "no"....

Old 02-01-2010, 12:56 PM
DC-LoudSound
Road Captain

front mounted rocket launchers .... you don't have to avoid what aint there no mo. Just a thought ......

Old 02-01-2010, 01:16 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I've done some experiments, from a vehicle, not on a bike. Driving past a group of deer on the side of the road I held a "deer whistle" out the window. The claim is, it emits an ultasonic wave that only the deer can hear, not humans, and it makes them run away. Well they didn't even flinch. Next time I saw some deer ahead I layed on the horn, and made a bunch of real noise. Some flinched and moved away, others lifted their heads to see what was going on.

My opinion: If you can't hear it, neither can the deer.

Having said all that, the deer standing on the sides of the road aren't the ones you have to worry about. It's the ones that are running full flight and bound onto the road in front of you. You don't see them coming, they don't see you, they wouldn't have heard you even if you were laying on an airhorn, they were probably running because they were scared and trying to get away from something. Those are the ones that get killed.

What I always do, I ride down as close to the center of the road as I can, all the way to the left. Then there's equal distance on each side of me, if a deer pops onto the road, maybe I'll have a split second more time to react compared to riding along the right side of the shoulder lane for example.

my .02 cents.

Last edited by zeus33; 02-01-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Silverslider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob Zombie blaring out on my stereo and exhaust noise seems to help. I have seen quite a few deer run the other direction when I pass a cornfield on my street glide rumbling along with Rob Zombie. Now for a deer charging across the road, I don't think anything will stop them. They are one of the dumbest animals. Almost as dumb as squirrels. A squirrel could be almost across the road but when it sees you approaching for some reason it has to run all the way back to the side it came from instead of just finishing its crossing.
I hit a deer this year with my truck. It just stared at me as I mowed it down. I had a close call the other day in the snow. I came around a turn and four of them were crossing the road. Lucky me, I applied the brakes and slid inbetween them.
Unfortunately I do not have any info on the Hornet Deer system. I have tried whistles, etc. with no luck. Like I said, loud music and exhaust rumble seems to make them take notice when they are standing but there is nothing that will stop a hard charger.

Quick Reply: deer avoidance