General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deer avoidance

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 AM
dumernarock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the deer whistles on my bike, but I do have The Tiger Whistles mounted on my engine guard.
So far they have worked very well, I have not had any Tigers run out in front of me.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Lucky_one2
Tourer

I hit one last week on the Natchez Trace with my mustang (or should I say it hit me since I had come to a complete stop). I will not ride my scoot after dark on the Trace (I see hundreds of deer every morning/night between Port Gibson and Jackson). Nothing is effective short of hunting them to extinction.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:47 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crusin back roads in the fall-saw mommy deer cross road up ahead-she turned and looked back. I thought what is she looking at me for? She wasn't because dead ahead( no pun) were her 2 offspring stopped in the road in my path. I had slowed to almost a stop so no harm. I waited for them to move on. If I had been hotdoggin(entirely possible) I would have hit 2 of them.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:53 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky_one2
I hit one last week on the Natchez Trace with my mustang (or should I say it hit me since I had come to a complete stop). I will not ride my scoot after dark on the Trace (I see hundreds of deer every morning/night between Port Gibson and Jackson). Nothing is effective short of hunting them to extinction.
Driving from Vicksburg to Natchez & back, I used to like to run the trace from port Gibson down to Natchez - or Natchez to port Gibson. Nice run.

Port Gibson still have that church with the finger pointing up on the steeple?

Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 AM
vonzoog
Tourer

Originally Posted by dumernarock
I don't have the deer whistles on my bike, but I do have The Tiger Whistles mounted on my engine guard.
So far they have worked very well, I have not had any Tigers run out in front of me.

You would have gotten along with my Dad just fine....See post #36

Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 AM
uscgbosn
Intermediate

Deer whistles do not work. How do I know? I had a deer T-bone my Deuce 18 months ago. Damn thing ran right into the right side of the bike while I was doing 60 MPH. Killed the deer and broke my right leg in multiple places. Got a shiny new rod and pins to hold it together. Didn't knock me off the bike or it would have been a lot worse. Sure changed my riding habits. Now I rarely ride in the dark and had to move to a Fat Boy with floor boards.

BOSN

Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were riding back from blue ridge in the dark of the night we had a couple hundred miles back home as we drop a freinds sister off in frederick that had been riding with us all day. We had 10 bikes in your group and I was up front getting the horn blast everytime I saw a deer. My freinds sister never saw a deer the whole time but everybody else saw each pack of deer turn away from the road as the loud pipes with a blast of the air horns turn them running. Sometime it's what you are you for as you ride.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:18 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311
We were riding back from blue ridge in the dark of the night we had a couple hundred miles back home as we drop a freinds sister off in frederick that had been riding with us all day. We had 10 bikes in your group and I was up front getting the horn blast everytime I saw a deer. My freinds sister never saw a deer the whole time but everybody else saw each pack of deer turn away from the road as the loud pipes with a blast of the air horns turn them running. Sometime it's what you are you for as you ride.

I do that sometimes when I'm feeling spooked and my spidey sense is tingling, I'll just lay on the horn for no apparent reason. My wife thinks I'm nuts and usually tells me to stop. But I know they can hear it. You never know when one of the dumb critters is about to make the leap onto the road, and you've now spooked him back the other way.

I think it would be a good invention, to just mount up a good powerful airhorn pointing straight ahead and programmed to blast every second or two. It would be annoying as hell, but for those evenings when you find yourself on a two lane road no shoulders thick forest, deers jumping around. It might save your life.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
SalsaNChips
Tourer

I frequently ride over winding hill country FM's at night. Lot of deer around. Agree with what the other poster said about the ones milling around where you can see them NOT being the danger. It's the ones at a full gallop that leap across the road in an instant.

My "deer avoidance system" is SLOWING DOWN and using my BRIGHTS as much as possible. That and being ready to react instantly if needed.

I really don't think there is any technology availible that will reduce your chance of a deer collision enough to justify the aquisition of that technology.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SalsaNChips
I frequently ride over winding hill country FM's at night. Lot of deer around. Agree with what the other poster said about the ones milling around where you can see them NOT being the danger. It's the ones at a full gallop that leap across the road in an instant.

My "deer avoidance system" is SLOWING DOWN and using my BRIGHTS as much as possible. That and being ready to react instantly if needed.

I really don't think there is any technology availible that will reduce your chance of a deer collision enough to justify the aquisition of that technology.

I drive too fast. Guilty as charged your honor. Even my wife tells me that, and she rarely says stuff like that. Next year I will slow down. Another month or two and we'll be riding again.

Quick Reply: deer avoidance