General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deer avoidance

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Dragan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 with everyone's comments. There isn't anything that will "chase" deer away from a road. You can scare'em and make them run, but there isn't anything that will make them run away from a road instead of to it.
I agree with Zeus; ride as close to center of the road as you can, slow down and PAY ATTENTION in deer country.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:30 PM
kennychrysalis
Novice

motorcyclecruiser.com has info. and other web links, relating to deer avoidance, the deer can hear at between 2 and 6 klh. the whistles and hornet work, (don't work ) at 16 to 20 klh. seems the deer are unable to hear what we might buy....what a concept!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"Deer Alley", up here.

Skip the whistles, bells, and 'deer jammerz'.

Invest your $$ in LIGHTS.

IE - PIAA Extreme White, H4 bulb. 110/100w with 60/55w draw.
In addition to that, on Black Betty, run 60/60w 'spots' hooked to the dimmer switch, also. IOW, that's 230w of light, on 'high'.
Stock headlight is 60w. You make the call: Jammer or Vision ????

IF you do, PLEASE take the time to properly 'aim' your lights. They are BRIGHT as H*LL, and you'll be blinding the 2 1/2 ton battlewagon pilot. Not so much good, right there.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
What I always do, I ride down as close to the center of the road as I can, all the way to the left. Then there's equal distance on each side of me, if a deer pops onto the road, maybe I'll have a split second more time to react compared to riding along the right side of the shoulder lane for example.

my .02 cents.

I almost forgot, (It's been a long winter so far, haven't been on the bike for 3 months now). Sometimes, when I'm riding through a wooded area, with no clearance between the road and the trees, and I've seen recent deer strikes on the sides of the road, besides slowing up a bit, I'll put a couple fingers over the front brake lever. That way I still got ahold of the grip but if I have to stop in a hell of a hurry I'll save that 1/2 second it takes to move your fingers from the grip to the other side of the lever. Could make all the difference.

Another .02 cents.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:19 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

I had a RKC with one on it,did it work? I don't know but I never hit a deer.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Big Rol
Road Captain

We're peppered with deer and moose up here, I have had a hit and 2 near misses (cage) .my buddies wife totally demolished her car in a moose hit.You got BOTLO at all times and Don't try to go around the front of either, they never stop and man are they quick.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:25 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Then, if not hold on, maybe it will be a smaller one like mine.....

Mark

Last edited by user 8373900; 09-21-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM
96 WG
Advanced

Originally Posted by zeus33
I've done some experiments, from a vehicle, not on a bike. Driving past a group of deer on the side of the road I held a "deer whistle" out the window. The claim is, it emits an ultasonic wave that only the deer can hear, not humans, and it makes them run away. Well they didn't even flinch. Next time I saw some deer ahead I layed on the horn, and made a bunch of real noise. Some flinched and moved away, others lifted their heads to see what was going on.

My opinion: If you can't hear it, neither can the deer.

Having said all that, the deer standing on the sides of the road aren't the ones you have to worry about. It's the ones that are running full flight and bound onto the road in front of you. You don't see them coming, they don't see you, they wouldn't have heard you even if you were laying on an airhorn, they were probably running because they were scared and trying to get away from something. Those are the ones that get killed.

What I always do, I ride down as close to the center of the road as I can, all the way to the left. Then there's equal distance on each side of me, if a deer pops onto the road, maybe I'll have a split second more time to react compared to riding along the right side of the shoulder lane for example.

my .02 cents.
+1 On riding toward center thats always been my theory too.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
Then, if not hold on, maybe it will be a smaller one like mine.....

Mark

Wow, doesn't look like you crashed. Did you? Looks to me like the deer ran into the side of your bike and got crunched on the engine guard. Doesn't look like he took out the front wheel, did he?

I think that's the worst case, when they're crossing in front of you and hit your wheel causing it to turn to the lock, then you go over the high side in a helluva hurry.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:43 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

The recommendations to stay close to the center of the road are right on. Fact is, when I'm going through heavily wooded areas I slow down a bit. Sometimes you gotta get on those brakes really fast.

Quick Reply: deer avoidance