General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long freeway ride....this heat sucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Bluerose
Default First long freeway ride....this heat sucks

I was supposed to go on a run yesterday, but opted to go on a run with some family members up the coast to Solvang which is about 115 miles one way. I've made similar length rides before but never taking the freeway the whole way. It was different the my usual rides.

My brother-in-law is used to taking long freeway trips on his Road King so he opted for the freeway the whole way. Hubby and I usually find the side roads where possible to get some more interesting riding. There are a couple of places on the ride up where the freeway is hard to avoid without going way out of the way.

I found that I don't really like 100 miles straight riding on the freeway on my bike....for the first time I felt the buzz in my softail that everyone has been talking about, it was really annoying and it put my feet to sleep at one point. The buzz also went up the new backrest though with the new backrest I found I didn't get so much butt pain after about 180 miles.

We got going early and the coast was great in the mid-80's....when we hit the canyon that goes up Solvang te heat was stiffling -- 85 or so to 100 + in seconds. It just kept getting hotter and you could feel the waves of heat burning your arms on the way back down. Got home and it was 106 but not the same stiffle for some reason. California is used to heat but not used to the heat index the way it is, 51% humidity is killing us. Yesterday it was 113 + the heat index where I live an 103 or so in Solvang which was 10 degrees hotter then weather.com said it would be.

Still processing the ride in my mind and how I feel afterward. With my back I'm always making that my first concern. Supposed to be 103 today with a heat index around 107....Think the bike will stay in the garage today unless we decide to go to the beach.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: First long freeway ride....this heat sucks

Yeah, no kidding.......

I went from San Fernando Valley over to Santa Monica to visit some friends yesterday. It was 90+ when I left the valley in the a.m. It was still around 90 or so in Santa Monica, but the return trip into the valley had temps around 109 in the shade. I was riding in shorts and a tee shirt since I would die if I were in levis and leather.... and it was still painfully hot. I had a guy ride up along side and said he made the wrong clothing choice.

I can tolerate the high heat to some extent but when it gets insanely hot, I worry more about the air cooled engine than myself.

BTW, your friends Road King probably has a windshield and the photo shows yours does not. I will usually pop on a windscreen for any extended freeway travel. You'd be amazed at how much better you'll feel after not having to hang on so much.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Taildraggerdave

Yeah, no kidding.......

I went from San Fernando Valley over to Santa Monica to visit some friends yesterday. It was 90+ when I left the valley in the a.m. It was still around 90 or so in Santa Monica, but the return trip into the valley had temps around 109 in the shade. I was riding in shorts and a tee shirt since I would die if I were in levis and leather.... and it was still painfully hot. I had a guy ride up along side and said he made the wrong clothing choice.

I can tolerate the high heat to some extent but when it gets insanely hot, I worry more about the air cooled engine than myself.

Your close to me...I heard the heat was insane in the valley... we've hit a record of 17 or 18 days straight over 100. I'm pretty sure it didn't break 90 on the sections of PCH we were on. It was just going in land that sucked.

I had the windshield off for the sig pic but I have a full windshield check out my gallery for my full setup(s) --actually I need to cut the windshield down a bit

Old 07-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Mr. Incognito
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you have any advice for me? I fixing to ride up to Ohio from my home in central Florida on my Sporty to visit friends and family.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Mr. Incognito

well you have any advice for me? I fixing to ride up to Ohio from my home in central Florida on my Sporty to visit friends and family.
I've never ridden a sporty and don't know how they feel on the freeway (or your riding stye) but I would plan some extra time to take some divertions and get off the main highways. I've found consistant riding on the highways can be both boring and tiring, my last long freeway run about 60 miles was ubber boring was in the desert....

Old 07-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Mr. Incognito
Advanced

I figure Long ride is subjective it is after all only 4 inches on a map... My concern is the lower back area I plan to stop overnight in or around Atlanta Gorgia as that is the Half way point between sebastian florida and Oxford Ohio.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:09 PM
madcitycustom
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HaHa. Read about your heat and had to post. Went out yesterday afternoon between showers and it was actually cold, well, cool. I even got a shiver. Every time I reached for the clutch or front brake, I felt that cold handle. The air was fresh and cool and there weren't a lot of bugs flying around. Couldn't even feel any heat coming off the engine it was so nice out. And what was that you said, 115 heat index. Sure is nice out where I'm at. (Don't want to hear about December-March, will not respond to such depressing thoughts)

Old 07-23-2006, 03:16 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when we hit the canyon that goes up Solvang te heat was stiffling -- 85 or so to 100 + in seconds. It just kept getting hotter and you could feel the waves of heat burning your arms on the way back down. Got home and it was 106 but not the same stiffle for some reason. California is used to heat but not used to the heat index the way it is, 51% humidity is killing us. Yesterday it was 113 + the heat index where I live an 103 or so in Solvang which was 10 degrees hotter then weather.com said it would be.

Still processing the ride in my mind and how I feel afterward. With my back I'm always making that my first concern. Supposed to be 103 today with a heat index around 107....Think the bike will stay in the garage today unless we decide to go to the beach.
Welcome to our daily (North Texas) summer hell. The past couple of weeks the heat index has been in the triple digits - but this is the norm for our summers. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the heat coming off the TC engine. In stop and go traffic, my legs and thighs are getting cooked. And unfortunately, most of my riding is daily commuting in traffic. Yet given the choice, I still prefer the bike to the cage.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:19 PM
lschultz
Road Master

I drink plenty of gatoraide and water when on them hot/humid rides.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Budds
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mr. Incognito

Bring Rain Gear !
: )

Ah.....
Sebatian Inlet....... how I miss my "Surf-Dog" Days !

Be Safe Friend....

Budds....................

Quick Reply: First long freeway ride....this heat sucks