General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long freeway ride....this heat sucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 03:26 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First long freeway ride....this heat sucks

Just did 5K from NM to UT, NV, CA (Las Vegas to Santa Barbara and PCH to Monterey) then Redding, CA (110!!!!) and OR....then 50 back....heat????? Every day was 100 plus...but....water, stop for gas every 100 or so....hey...it's a scoot....ya live with it and gotta love it (or drive a cage!)

Old 07-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Wldtat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went for a ride from my house in Redondo Beach, along the coast through Malibu, and up into the canyons yesterday (Wife wanted to go to The Rockstore ). As said above, it was nice and cool until we turned inland, about 3 miles up Malibu Canyon Rd. it jumped up to about 95 all in one sudden hit, then when we turned on to Mullhulland Hwy, it jumped another 5-10 degrees. You could feel it when it happened, it was like a hot slap in the face. It was a beautiful, miserable ride Next time, I leave at 7am not 11am.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:49 PM
haksaw
Road Master

is 120 miles now considered a long ride?

in case nobody's noticed, most of the US and canada has been stuck in a huge heat wave for the last month. I think most of us are in the same boat when it comes to the heat this summer.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: haksaw

is 120 miles now considered a long ride?

<clip>
It is for me when it comes to the freeway (actually 240 round trip) I avoid it like the plague even in my cage. Not scared of them or anything....I just drove them for years in really bad traffic day and night. I got a job that didn't required freeway driving and got spoiled and now just go around unless I'm in a hurry. I know A LOT of side roads that are just as fast or faster depending on the traffic. It was my first extended ride on the freeway with my bike didn't bother me except the buzz....just not my preference.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:03 PM
SMenasco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Towjam, check out one of our sponsers, " No More Fried Thighs." I bought a pair and they really work. No, it's not "cool", but the heat from the oil tank and rear cylinder is moderate compared to without them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/0D790092DF654DEA8C4A611AC3B9AD7B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The high temps are a small price to pay for being able to ride all year. I wear a CoolDanna around my neck, and keep the doo-rag on the head wet. That helps a lot.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did 157 miles yesterday. 106+ What realy was weird was going from open desert to farm field to desert again. Humidity at 10 then jumps to 100 then back to 10. Wow, the humidity sucked big time.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:24 PM
ricoman
Road Master

Here on the gulf coast in FL we know heat too. Plus we have the luxury of serious afternoon rain every darn day. With 90%+ humidity it sometimes gets to you. I go any time but my passenger melts (and at 104lbs. she can't afford to lose much!).
Our solution, leave at 8:30 AM, nice four hour round trip and home before you melt.
By the way, maybe after the heat and all, it wasn't the seat or backrest-your butt was numb!!
A hot day on your scoot is better than looking at in the garage!

Old 07-23-2006, 08:05 PM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member

Wow, I hate to sound ignorant but I didn't know it gets that hot in CA. I always thought the temps were cooler with low humidity... []
I feel stupid complaining about 95 degree weather in NC...

I hear ya about the Gulf coast. My parents live above Tampa and the humidity at times SUCK and it may rain 4 different times during the day with each rain lasting 10-15 minutes.... annoying as hell.

guess 'ol NC ain't so bad afterall.

Mark

Old 07-23-2006, 09:08 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I hear ya about the heat thing. I have gone out riding when it has been around 100 and it doesn't feel as bad riding as it does when I stop for a break. The wife keeps telling me to put some sunscreen on, but I am stubborn and don't do it and I usually pay for it. When it gets that hot around here, I usually try to ride in the morning or evenings when it is cooler. Mid day is usually a real bummer.

Quick Reply: First long freeway ride....this heat sucks