General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horsepower loss with 2 into 2 pipes or stick with slip-ons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:09 PM
DarrellDeluxe
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horsepower loss with 2 into 2 pipes or stick with slip-ons?

How many of you riders that upgraded your bikes with a 2 into 2 exhaust system loss some hp's? Or did you re-gain your hp after upgrading a/c with arlen ness, SE, K&N systems? Just trying to figure out what kind of exhaust to go with for my softail deluxe. Full pipe system or go with slip-ons (SE, Rush, D&D). I realize this topic has been mulled over endlessly, but I figure this is the place to ask a question. Thank you!

Old 01-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You didn't say what kind of bike you have. The stock headpipes on some models are way more efficient than on others.

Nothin' wrong with a good set of slip-ons in most cases.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:58 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

When I first bought my bike in 2006, I installed a Stage 1 with the older SEII slip-ons and a SERT and of course felt the torque increase. The buddy I ride with runs pipes with no baffles. His bike was so loud I couldn’t hear my pipes if I was behind him, so I installed the Big City Thunder baffles after a while for more rumble. Contrary to there advertisement, I noticed a loss of torque immediately, but at least I could hear my pipes again. But loosing torque pissed me off and eventually my SEII slip-ons developed a leak where they attach to the header pipe. So the following year I bought a pair of Rinehart 2-2 flush cuts and got my torque back and a little more torque to boot then with the stock SEII slip-ons. So I think loosing torque going to a 2-2 depends on which pipes you run. The V&H Big Shots seems to be a good compromise. They’re basically a 2-2 but with a nice small cross over chamber for exhaust scavenging.

However, I really like a 2-2 when it comes to taking the pipes off and putting them back on. When you have a 2-1 or 2-2 with a cross over chamber, I find it a PITA to hold both pipes up and align both headers to the heads. But then I guess life is full of trade-offs.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:11 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
You didn't say what kind of bike you have. The stock headpipes on some models are way more efficient than on others.

Could you give some examples? Been getting the evil eye from local leo and thinking of getting away from my hookers.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:21 PM
johnd5412
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just upgraded from slip ons to the V&H BS and I felt a seat of the pants torque gain...I don't much care about hp. I also run the K&N high flow set up. I had the V&H slip ons prior and would reccomend the full system if you can shell out the cash. There are literally K's of threads on this subject and which system you go with will have differented advantages...its just up to you and what you are looking for, i.e. sound, performance, feel. Happy hunting!

Old 01-30-2010, 08:44 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do some reading on "exhaust scavenging " and you will get a better understanding of why you might lose power with different pipes. It's pretty interesting but it's also helpful!

Old 01-30-2010, 08:50 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is more important is if the exhaust is tuned to the Engine and it seems for that reason way back in the mid seventies Harley came out with a true 2 into one exhaust for their high performance on the superglides and ever since then I have been sold on the tuned 2 into one exhaust.
The only thing bad about a good exhaust is the price!

Old 01-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
Could you give some examples? Been getting the evil eye from local leo and thinking of getting away from my hookers.
My Heritage had real good stock headpipes, with a crossover that was hidden well. It performed great with Rush slip-ons.

Some of the baggers had the "Y" at the rear cylinder and were not known for good performance. 2 into 2 would be a better choice in that case.

That was what I meant about headpipes depending on what type of bike you had.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:03 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 465 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYING
What is more important is if the exhaust is tuned to the Engine and it seems for that reason way back in the mid seventies Harley came out with a true 2 into one exhaust for their high performance on the superglides and ever since then I have been sold on the tuned 2 into one exhaust.
The only thing bad about a good exhaust is the price!
The first statement; the one about "if the exhaust is tuned to the engine"...that's the point. Here's my dyno with 2-2 2" Cycle Shacks; "stock" looking pipes...look at the torque/rpm curve...a few shop guys have told me I had to have a 2-1 for best performance and I say I'll pay if you can really improve...and show them the dyno sheet...none have taken me up on that...tried a set of V&H stepped "drag" pipes; nice looking 2-2's; lost 10hp and 14ft lbs! The C/S pipes are on to stay.

Did I mention I don't like the look of 2-1's? That's just a personal opinion, though.

Attached Thumbnails Horsepower loss with 2 into 2 pipes or stick with slip-ons?-103-dyno-e-mail.jpg  
Old 01-31-2010, 06:53 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

When I decided on true duals,and gave the bike the best tune it could have.The hp and trq were what made me happy.Afterall the TrueDuals were my focus and were a must have.

Quick Reply: Horsepower loss with 2 into 2 pipes or stick with slip-ons?