General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Campers, I need tent, sleeping bag advise...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchman
+1 on the military surplus. I once owned an israeli military sleeping bag, just bought a gore tex cover and it was good to go.
I owned several tents, just got an el cheapo, and made it kinda waterproff-ish. When it was fugged up, I got a new one. That way. I always had spare parts.

Old Harley habits die hard, don't they, Frenchie ?????

Old 02-08-2010, 11:23 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a couple of comments and suggestions.

rei is great. they have an online site that has some good deals.
the rei quarter dome is a great tent.
i bought an rei tent called the morph. and i really like it, but it would not be for most people. it is a convertable 4 season tent that has some real good thought put into it.
if i didn't get that one i would have gotten the quarter dome.

a couple things to look for.
self standing is a big one. sometimes you just can't get stakes in the ground.
as for being able to stand up. that is personal preference. i don't care. getting pants on is fun if you can't stand up, but it is doable.
a smaller tent will be trickier to get out of (thats a good thing about the quarter dome with its 2 doors and its design, it is easier to get out of.
a vestible is a almost a must. you get back to the site in pouring rain with muddy boots. you can put them under cover without putting them in the tent.
try out any tent before you buy it. see if you are comfortable getting in and out. will there be enough room to keep your stuff in there. lay in it for awhile (rei has a number of them set up that you can try out.)
how easy is it to set up. could you set it up in the dark? how easy is it to open the door. does it zip in either direction. what if it is really hot. can you get a good air flow. a double layer wall is usually better than a single wall.

as for a mattress or pad - i have the luxury lite. its great and comfy. but i also have an air mattress. big anges products are great and cheaper than other. the big agnes air pad i have has to be blown up. not bad. i suppose if i had to do that every night it would get old after awhile. but i went with big agnes as opposed to therm a rest because it packed up a lot smaller.
i have used therm a rests also. with any kind of air mattress, you run the risk of a puncture and then you would be sleeping on the ground. some therm a rests will still give you some insulation if they are deflated. the big agnes wouldn't.
sometimes i will take just a foam pad along. not as comfy, but it won't deflate. somtimes i will take both. the air for comfort and the pad for more insulation.
again. try it out. rei will let you lay on one. you can try it and see how it feels to you. it depends on your weight and size and how you sleep. if you lay on your back usually you have no problem. on your side, sometimes your shoulders of hips can hit the ground.

sleeping bag. i use a mummy, but i usually have only the center portion zipped and so i don't get the "too tight" feeling.
get a back that zipps from the bottom up and top down. that way you can adjust how much opening you want.
on the bike i stay away from down. if it gets wet it will not keep you warm. you also have to air it out, if you sweat a lot when you sleep. if you don't air it out, then each night you will loose a little more warmth. the synthetics are great.
as for temperature rating - during aug at sturgis you will probably not see 40 degrees. might see 50 at night. but that would be the coldest. more likely it will be high 50s and 60s. getting a bag that is rated at 0 degrees will be too hot regardless. the rating on bags is not standard and so it is difficult to determine how warm you will be. that is another reason to go to a place like rei where they know the products. i once went camping with my wife and it got down to 20. my bag was rated at 30 and hers was rated at 10. she complained about being cold the first night. so the second night we switched bags, and her bag was not as warm as mine. the rating is a guide, not a definite. anyway, i would suggest getting a bag that is rated no lower than 30. even 40 would be better. and then get a liner. a liner will add another 15 degrees to the bag. that way you will have a bag for the 55 and up (the liner), another for 40 and up (the bag) and another for 25 and up (the bag with the liner). if you are on the bike and it gets below 25 then just where some clothes in the bag. a very unscientific way to think about the rating is that someone who has no clothes on will be comfortable down to the given rating. if you are in a tent you can add approx another 10 degrees (a bag rated for 40 will be good down to 30 in a tent). add some clothes (i like to where socks and shorts and tshirt and even maybe a stocking cap) and you get another 10+ degrees.
again, check it out. rei will let you lay in the bag. try turning, try positioning yourself like you normally sleep. can you lay like that in the bag. i will use a mummy, but i can't for the life of me wrap it around my head, just don't work. thats the reason i will sometimes wear a stocking cap.

a couple of other things you might want to consider:
- a micro towel, a bath towel is about the size of a wallet and will dry your entire body.
- for a tarp under the tent, just get some clear thicker plastic drop cloth material.
- always bring duct tape
- always bring extra nylon cord
- bring a couple of extra tent stakes. in a bad storm you can use the rope and stakes to secure you tent better.

as for a stove - what do you plan on fixing. bacon and eggs with a side of hash browns, all fresh, will require something different than just a cup of joe in the morning. and when you are talking a stove, now you need to determine what kind of gas you want to use (i am using canisters now and they work for bike camping fine) my stove packs up at 3 in by 2 in. but that is only the stove and not the canister or pans. i will use it mostly for boing water and then eating freeze dried or for heating up a can of something (like beans). i stay away from frying and bacon and all that. just too much trouble. so i have 2 pot that stack with one lid and i put the fuel canister inside.
but you will also need, a spork (combo fork and spoon), something to wash the spork and pans with if you use it for more than boiling water. a lighter, matches, maybe a a bowel and cup, etc. not all that hard or bulky, but it is more to bring.

a chair is nice, but most are kinda bulky. i like the kermit chair, but have not yet gotten one.

i bough a small foldable table that is nice and packs small. just nice to keep your stuff on.

an extra tarp can be nice if you get caught in the rain and don't want to be in the tent. you can get one thats like 8 x 8 and packs small.

you can also you the tarp to sit on the ground. lots of uses.

lights and flashlights are all musts, i like to have at least 3, just in case one breaks or isn't working. there are some really awesome and bright ones avail. rei has some nice lights that work as a lantern also.

but be sure to really understand what you are getting. for sturgis it is not so bad, but in other situations, where you aren't near to stores, etc. you want a product that you can rely on.

got a bit long winded, sorry bout that.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:30 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Old Harley habits die hard, don't they, Frenchie ?????

Indeed. I found some parts of my old pan-shovel in my basement, years after I sold the bike. They just seemed to pop up out if nowhere. With all those bikes in your grudge, I guess you know the problem. Hehehe.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchman
Indeed. I found some parts of my old pan-shovel in my basement, years after I sold the bike. They just seemed to pop up out if nowhere. With all those bikes in your grudge, I guess you know the problem. Hehehe.
Or worser,...... they pop "outta site" and ya can't find 'em. Kid in town was at the swap, going to buy a 4 speed open primary support bracket and bearing. "Don't buy that, I have one in the grudge".
DAMMIT, I still haven't been able to put my grubbys on it.

"Hey Ma, what kinda Colombian you been puttin' in that coffee pot, anyways????"