General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Campers, I need tent, sleeping bag advise...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:05 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we used to camp a lot. now, hotels. wife says motorcycling is the camping equivalent. she wants a soft bed after a day in the saddle. I agree, but here is a burning question: what cooking gear do you use? Anything I have is way to big to carry (coleman stoves). ya know, in case I get a chance to solo and camp ......

Old 02-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jetboil is handy……for anything that only needs hot water. I guess they have a pan attachment too. Very compact with just the can. I just eat the dehydrated meals with mine. They’re not cheap though. I will usually stop and eat in town if I’m not too remote.

This subject is pretty well covered here… I agree with the guy that pointed that out. Read through that thread that he pointed to.

As for mummy bags…. I have a MontBell Super Stretch 650 20 degree bag that gives you some room to move around. Luv it! Packs down pretty compact. I have a liner for mine so no issues there and the liner makes a great summer bag.

My REI Half Dome has been a trooper. Packs well on my solo rack. Stands up to a downpour. You can’t stand up in it, but even my fat *** can manage……. I wouldn’t try putting two people in it though. Just enough for one and gear.

Get a nice headlamp! I found a Black Diamond for like half price and it’s indispensible on camping trips.

REI has good stuff. I’m a member and have no complaints.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

A lotta good advice here. I used a little cheap Coleman tent for years with no probs...never leaked...never blew apart in a storm...etc. When that wore out, I got a Mountain Hardwear Wedge 2...nice tent, but I sorta wish I had just gotten another Coleman. I also use a 45 degree North Face down filled sleeping bag...down filled bags compress down to almost nothing, so they're easier to pack on a bike. I've used the 45-degree bag with temps in the upper 20's/lower 30's, and was plenty warm with just a pair of long johns...used it in Sturgis and didn't even need the long johns. If you're looking at air mattresses instead of pads, I would opt for one of the slimmer Thermarest self inflating deals actually made for camping, as the thick home style ones get right chilly outdoors (too much air under ya)...and, the Thermarests don't require a pump (one less thing to have to pack on the bike).

I also have an outfitter's 10" x 24" stuff sack. I can fit a rolled Thermarest mattress, down filled sleeping bag, the H-D sleeping pad I got "free" one time (the felt side is great to sleep on), compressed camping pillow, etc. in that thing...making all of it real easy to strap on the bike.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Turbo Flux
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew I could count on all the vast knowledge of you guys in this forum. Well done, thank you all.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oldncrzy
we used to camp a lot. now, hotels. wife says motorcycling is the camping equivalent. she wants a soft bed after a day in the saddle. I agree, but here is a burning question: what cooking gear do you use? Anything I have is way to big to carry (coleman stoves). ya know, in case I get a chance to solo and camp ......
three metal tent stakes, a small pot, and a can of sterno.

my girlfriend has an msr stove that burns gas. its a nice cooker but i get annoyed with all the fiddly bits so when i'm camping alone i just take a can of sterno.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 AM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to tent alot yrs back.

Always soaked the fly good with seam sealer spray at the start of the season.

Also would cut out a plastic liner for the inside of the tent each season , have it so it wraps up the sides aways.

I never got wet from above or below in plenty of rough weather.

Anybody remember bacon in a can and yurika food in a pouch ?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:31 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by hullhorr
The blow up pool floatie is a great idea. I recently purchased an Oregon Bedroll, but I haven't received it yet. I have read good things about it.
I bought an Oregon Bedroll a few months ago. Haven't used it camping yet but have been using it to sleep on in my Semi and loving it. The mattress in my truck really sucks and since I put the Oregon Bedroll in I've been sleeping much much better. I think you will really like it. I'm looking forward to using it for camping this summer.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Been ramblin' the roads since the early 70's. We used to go with an ol' Army surplus sleeping bag, and an 8x10 chunk of canvas/tarp. Lay the canvas down, get on one edge of it, and pull the other half over the top of you.
It was big enough to stretch over a picnic table in a roadside park for a small lean to tent.

THAT was when I was Young and Dummm.

NOW, that I am Old and Dummm???? When we go, it looks like the Beverly Hillbillies, and the new tent looks like something from the Rich and Famous. I can stand up (6'6") in it.
Have the queen sized DOUBLE LAYER (TALL !!!!!!!!!!!!) air matress. We have the 15* poly bags, that zip together. I use 2 pillows. DeWalt radio with cd player. DeWalt flashlightS.

Algona, '09

One of the 'bennies' of traveling with Old Iron, someone ALWAYS has a chase vehicle, and when I go to Sturgis, I take my work van, with ALL my wrenchin' tools. So getting it there, is not an issue.

If I am running w/o her, believe it or not, BACK to the sleeping bag, and small tarp. STILL works, for me. But, DAMMD, I'm GLAD she likes to RIDE and Rally !!!!!!!!!

A lot of our friends, send their stuff out via UPS right to the campground, as posted above. Then ship it home, along with ALL the trinkets they 'snarfed up' on.

Whoever said, "KEVLAR because of the 'hail storm' last year"...............

One of the good things (???????????????????????????) 'bout growing up in SoDak. Ya learn to read the weather. Haven't been caught out in the open in a hailstorm out there, in over 20 yrs. But I've seen some DAMMD ugly ones.
Psst, SKIP the Kevlar...

Old 02-08-2010, 09:37 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the military surplus. I once owned an israeli military sleeping bag, just bought a gore tex cover and it was good to go.
I owned several tents, just got an el cheapo, and made it kinda waterproff-ish. When it was fugged up, I got a new one. That way. I always had spare parts.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Healey2Harley
Road Master

Bought a package of north face aluminum angled stakes years ago. We use them with all our tents, they're light and hold better than the straight round ones that come with most tents.

Poly bags are warmer when wet, but for packing you cant beat down.

Quick Reply: Campers, I need tent, sleeping bag advise...