General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Campers, I need tent, sleeping bag advise...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Qu...ir-Bed/3942890 i have this air mattress and it is really nice. it's high enough that you are well off of the ground and when you put your socks on in the morning it's like sitting on your bed. as far as the tent is concerned i would get at least a 8x8 dome tent you can stand up perfectly straight in. a 10x10 tent would be better tho. get some big blue tarps too. i secure the tarps with big binder clips that they have at any big office store.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 AM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
About 50 foot of nylon rope, 2 10 x 14 ft tarps or larger, one for the roof the other for the floor, tent stakes and 1/2 inch conduit, cut to loadable lengths with emt couplings, Make just about any shelter you want. who wants to be in a 6x6 tent all day when it's raining? Once you have this set up the friends will come find you, i.e. free beer, food, grillin, etc. by far the most versatile, when its not going to be that cold.
that sounds like something that will go up in 5 mn. or less.lol
lots of good advice here,buy quality and it pays.also we use down sleeping bags.more expensive than synthetic and can't get them wet but half the size of synthetic.hotels are nice every few days but you meet a lot more nice people at campgrounds.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:21 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think Small but Good...

I'm gearing up too, and just did lots of research and some buying. Go with good quality stuff that packs down unusually small. Here are a few that I found that stand out:

Cabelas.com has a great deal on Eureka Pinacle Pass 3XTA. With it's very short corded aluminum poles, this tent folds down to about 21"x 7". This tent, its poles, and rain fly fit into one Road King Classic saddlebag.

There are huge differences in sleeping pads too, even within Thermarest brand. They come in 1", 2", 3" thick etc. Some are 20" wide, some are 25" wide. Their "Pro Light Pluss" sleep pads roll down to just 11"x5". It's full length, 1-1/2" thick and 20" wide.

Suisse Sport Adventure makes an extra small sleeping bag rated +30° that rolls down to just 12"x7". It's a full size sleeping bag, just compresses a lot.

Again, go with good quality gear that packs down tight. For the cost of just a few nights in a hotel, you can have good gear that lasts years. You can find most of this stuff on Amazon.

Good Luck!
JR

Last edited by JR-Boston; 01-30-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: more
Old 01-31-2010, 05:29 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Know the temperature range for the correct bag where you are going. Size matters... where I have heard that?
Size includes actual pack size and weight. I buy smaller pack tents as a result. My 2 person is a solo with vestibule to stoe items out of weather. 3 Person is for two with storage. I'm guessing they were in OZ when they made the "fits number of people."

Old 01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Sniper318
Cruiser

I plan on tent camping at Sturgis also...have you peeps seen this?

http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/c...ar-119314.html

let me know ur thoughts

Old 01-31-2010, 06:32 PM
springerGT
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not start out with camping gear you aren't used to.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:08 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

http://www.bushwakkaswags.com/

http://www.oregonbedroll.com/

Not cheap but a couple of the best for a bike.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Rockymtnfishboy
Cruiser

+ 1 on the seirra designs, I have both the one man (clip flashlight), and the 2 man which I cant remember the name of and love em both. I would recommend the 2 man so you can get your gear in the tent with you. Both pack small and are 4 lbs or less. I primarily use mine for work when in the mountains. I have experienced all kinds of weather and they hold up very well. as far as sleeping pads, depends on what you want to spend. Therma rest makes some very sweet light weight pads. Check out Campmor.com, they have really good prices on camping gear and you should be able to find what you need. For a sleeping bag I would avoid a mummy at all costs, unless you dont mind sleeping in one position. Campmor also offers down bags under there own name which are quality bags for a reasonable price. Cabelas also offers some great bags. One thing I have found is add ten degrees to the rating to be comfortable. Froze my butt off for a week in a bag rated for 10 degrees and the night time temps were hitting 15.

Last edited by Rockymtnfishboy; 01-31-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:38 PM
Haywired
Road Master

Here's another good outlet to check prices on. I've received excellent service from them through the years and they have competitive prices and good selection of many name brands..

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/

Old 01-31-2010, 09:01 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If yur not to tall and all alone the $20 wally tent will work fine with a blow up mattress.Spend money on a good mid weight sleeping bag.Cut some sheets and hem them that fit in the bag.Easy wash them and always have a clean bed. Put a cheap tarp under your tent and the tent will stay clean.After a couple of days in the dirt don't forget the credit card.Splurge for a room at the Hampton Inn and enjoy in that hot water and thick towels.Now that's Sturgis.

Quick Reply: Campers, I need tent, sleeping bag advise...