General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new bike or car stopper (prototype)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:15 PM
supercrewser
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cool part is since there will be no more car chases theres gonna be no more aerial coverage from news helicopters so when they get you out of the car and beat the crap out of you theres no more witnesses. Cant wait.But yes they need to stop the high speed chases though.Too dangerous for the innocent by standers.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carpetride
really? this news from june 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YOoN5DYUFA&NR=1

EMP was discovered more or less by accident when the US Military began testing nuclear weapons and it started knocking out phone banks and electronic equipment miles away from the blast site. This phenomenon was kept secret for a while. After disclosure, many efforts were made to use EMP as a weapon but generating wide spread EMP requires tremendous energy resources. (Think atomic blast). Even small-scale tactical use of EMP was hampered by the required size of the device and again the amount of power required. The first patent on a vehicle-disabling device using EMP has an issue date of April 2 1996. The device was very short range; advancements in capability have brought longer range and lower power requirements coupled with more efficient power supplies. This new device is just the latest effort. The particular device may be new but the technology isn’t, Like the song said, “Everything old is new Again.”

Last edited by Arcane; 01-29-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember seeing an article recently about OnStar working with law enforcement to stop car chases. Google had several articles about OnStar disabling stolen vehicles. I think the EMP technology is a bit late to be practical except for military use.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:48 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Grammaton
I remember seeing an article recently about OnStar working with law enforcement to stop car chases. Google had several articles about OnStar disabling stolen vehicles. I think the EMP technology is a bit late to be practical except for military use.
but how long would it take onstar or something similar to realize that a particular car was being pursued and when to disable it safely? The cops would be able to choose when to stop the car much quicker and safer than onstar. Basically onstar waits until the car is stopped before disabling it. And if using the device on a bike, the location of the shut down would be critical. Seems that usage would make the most sense.

Arcane,

Seems like I learn something everyday. Like how much the gov. monitors phone calls and how your google searches are far from anonymous.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:23 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW!! I could see this being a dangerous weapon for the bad guys. Anything like that, that comes out will definately be stolen, copied, etc... and could you imagine a hijacker pointing that at a flying plane or boarding a plane and triggering it... That would certainly be alot easier than carrying a box cutter... especially if like they say it will be the size of a gun within 5 years.

It would be kinda funny though if someone who was running from the cops had THEYRE car equipped with it and disabled all the cop cars chasing him. Hahahaha.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,268 Likes on 1,582 Posts

On Star can reduce the power to the vehicle gradually. They can also signal by causing the lights to flash and horn to sound. They can also speak directly to the driver and tell them they are about to be shut down.

Here is the commercial they are running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09ZBrIa-hJ0

Old 01-29-2010, 05:33 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Only the idiots on this site (and idiots are everywhere) will bad mouth policeman in general. God help you if you need a cop and none arrive. Just as there are ******* motorcycle riders, there are ******* cops. These dysfunctional people in either camp are very few compared to the thousands of normal ones.

There is a lot of blowhard bullshit on this site and sometimes it gets to me. Grow up or get off the road. Lacking that I hope you have a head-on wreck and nobody shows up. Then your buddies will wonder where all the bad cops went in your time of need.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:33 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain

Im not trying to hijack the thread here but does it scare anyone that almost every new GM vehicle has Onstar, they can listen to what your saying in the vehicle, shut it down at will, track you with GPS, and the fact that the government now owns GM. I mean if big brother isnt intruding here i dont know anymore. And since they now own GM they now own millions of wire taps already installed in your car with Onstar. They dont even need a warrant...

Old 01-29-2010, 05:36 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by albngore
Only the idiots on this site (and idiots are everywhere) will bad mouth policeman in general. God help you if you need a cop and none arrive. Just as there are ******* motorcycle riders, there are ******* cops. These dysfunctional people in either camp are very few compared to the thousands of normal ones.

There is a lot of blowhard bullshit on this site and sometimes it gets to me. Grow up or get off the road. Lacking that I hope you have a head-on wreck and nobody shows up. Then your buddies will wonder where all the bad cops went in your time of need.
Who exactly are you referring to on this post as badmouthing police??

Old 01-29-2010, 05:45 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by albngore

what can cops do in a head on collision? take a report while the EMT's save your life

in all honesty dude i have never personally caleld the cops to handle any situation i have been in and ALOT of those situations a "normal" person would. i dotn call them becasue I can take care fo myself i dont need soemone else to do it for me.

i disagree with your opinion and those who beleive the government should didctate how me should live our lives but i hope you NEVER have a head on colision

as for my buddys, they would be making sure i dotn die before the emt's arrive as they feel the same way on the profession of government enforcment officer.

Last edited by NSCoyote; 01-29-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: new bike or car stopper (prototype)