General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new bike or car stopper (prototype)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:17 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh great another toy for leo"s to abuse thankfully i wont buy a vehicle with electronics that would be effected by that

Old 01-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle
My only concern is the collateral damage to the vehicle. I'd bet it fry's the brain or worse as when they turned it on not just the engine dyed but the whole electrical system went down. I bet the insurance companies wont allow the use but in the most extreme cases
Insurance companies will probably buy these devices for use law enforcement.

Originally Posted by carpetride
If you put yourself in a position to cause the cops to use that thing, I doubt the insurance companies are gonna pay for any repair. I'm not an insurance expert, but I think if you wreck your car running from the police ( using vehicle in an unlawful manner), the insurance company would probably have a clause to deny any claim as well. Just like a vehicle is not covered if being used at a race track, etc. etc.
Right. Most policies exclude coverage for damage done in the commission of a crime.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle
My only concern is the collateral damage to the vehicle. I'd bet it fry's the brain or worse as when they turned it on not just the engine dyed but the whole electrical system went down. I bet the insurance companies wont allow the use but in the most extreme cases

It won't help the insurance company if the cops DON'T stop the car.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:25 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cost,size,and collateral damage. Onstar is the way of the future. Big brother knowing where you are. Your speed and conversation. Your mileage for the year so they can tax you.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM
DC-LoudSound
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cops have a tough job to do. I'm all for giving them the technology needed to do the job effectively and safely. This just doesn’t look like it to me ....

Just shoot the fleeing driver ....

Old 01-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Arcane
Road Master

This technology has been around for quite awhile and has been rejected by numerous agencies. As for no collateral damage, what happens when you have a pursuit at high speed and cops use the device in the video? The car that is being pursued looses its power steering and brakes when the engine dies. The car does not just instantly stop. If the target vehicle crashes into something or someone and the result is injury or death, the potential for a mega size liability lawsuit is right on up there. This has been a major factor in LE agencies not adopting the device. It may generate some military sales, use of the device in a combat or a battlefield situation is entirely different story than use on the city streets where the potential for collateral injury to the civilian populous out weighs the advantage gained.

Last edited by Arcane; 01-29-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:50 AM
FLYING
Club Member

HA HA It only works on a vehicle with a computer! All the more reason to use points and a carb.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
I dont see it having much of an effect on carbureted motorcycles as they have no computer to cause a disturbance to, and I dont see an EM pulse disrupting 50,000 volt charge from getting to the plug.
Unless you have a classic bike which still operates on points and condenser, you would still be affected by an EMP blast. The EMP would target the electronic ingnition system...

Old 01-29-2010, 12:04 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman336
Unless you have a classic bike which still operates on points and condenser, you would still be affected by an EMP blast. The EMP would target the electronic ingnition system...
Originally Posted by FLYING
HA HA It only works on a vehicle with a computer! All the more reason to use points and a carb.
and people wonder why i sill keep my 40 year old dripping iron head LOL

Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcane
This technology has been around for quite awhile and has been rejected by numerous agencies. As for no collateral damage, what happens when you have a pursuit at high speed and cops use the device in the video? The car that is being pursued looses its power steering and brakes when the engine dies. The car does not just instantly stop. If the target vehicle crashes into something or someone and the result is injury or death, the potential for a mega size liability lawsuit is right on up there. This has been a major factor in LE agencies not adopting the device. It may generate some military sales, use of the device in a combat or a battlefield situation is entirely different story than use on the city streets where the potential for collateral injury to the civilian populous out weighs the advantage gained.
really? this news from june 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YOoN5DYUFA&NR=1

Quick Reply: new bike or car stopper (prototype)