General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010 | 08:31 AM
Landon
Tourer

I have 2 kind, click and electronic, both Craftsman. Had an issue with the electronics on the one, took it back and got a new one. Have had no problems for many years since.

Old 01-30-2010 | 01:14 AM
creatv1
Tourer

Originally Posted by ashmarc
There are foot pound and an inch pound torque wrenches.

Big difference on the torque put on a fastener.

1 ft lb = 12 in lbs, therefore if it called for "8 in lbs" and you used a ft lb wrench set at "8", you just put "96 in lbs" of pressure on your fastener...........SNAP!!!
This is true. Don't ask me how I know this...

Old 01-30-2010 | 09:44 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

It's just a motorcycle folks, not the Space Shuttle. $400 torque wrenches, are you kidding me or what?

Old 01-30-2010 | 10:29 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

I can break 4 or 5 craftsman wrenches and still spend less than 1 snap on. Not knocking the brand, but I cant justify spending that kind of money for something I use occasionally.

Old 01-30-2010 | 10:39 AM
softail04
Road Master

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
It's just a motorcycle folks, not the Space Shuttle. $400 torque wrenches, are you kidding me or what?
finally somebody I hae to agree with..
most people on here take things to extremes it's just a harley v twin thousands of dollars worth of tools are not needed. yes I have some experience in the field 20 yers as a mech and 20 years as a mach. now retired

Old 01-30-2010 | 11:01 AM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BennieSG
I can break 4 or 5 craftsman wrenches and still spend less than 1 snap on. Not knocking the brand, but I cant justify spending that kind of money for something I use occasionally.
I based my reply on the fact that i make my money on my tools. As a former tech and current owner if i have a tool that breaks it costs me time which costs me money. Now for someone not making theyre living on theyre tools, then yes a craftsmen is fine as ive stated in previous threads.

Old 01-30-2010 | 12:05 PM
cactus789
Road Captain

Originally Posted by texas_speed_freak
I based my reply on the fact that i make my money on my tools. As a former tech and current owner if i have a tool that breaks it costs me time which costs me money. Now for someone not making theyre living on theyre tools, then yes a craftsmen is fine as ive stated in previous threads.
Spoken like a true Snap On dealer......

Old 01-30-2010 | 12:18 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cactus789
Spoken like a true Snap On dealer......
Hahaha. I wish i was a Snap-on dealer!! They make some good money. At least my buddys that were dealers did. There is something to be said for having tools delivered to your shop though. And one thing i dont like about craftsmen is that they stop warrantying some tools like easy-outs, drill bits, and some other misc things. My Snap-on and matco stuff is STILL warrantied no questions asked. My personal opinion for the general person is to go with craftsmen if nothing else. Just stay away from Harbor Freight.

Old 01-30-2010 | 12:28 PM
cactus789
Road Captain

Hahaha. I wish i was a Snap-on dealer!! They make some good money. At least my buddys that were dealers did. There is something to be said for having tools delivered to your shop though. And one thing i dont like about craftsmen is that they stop warrantying some tools like easy-outs, drill bits, and some other misc things. My Snap-on and matco stuff is STILL warrantied no questions asked. My personal opinion for the general person is to go with craftsmen if nothing else. Just stay away from Harbor Freight.
One of my Millwrights has Snap on tools, close to 25g worth!!! but he was in the auto industry first, no one borrows his tools!!!!. I've got good tools, no Snap On stuff, but as long as it has lifetime warranty. I was in the back of a Snap On reps truck once......don't know what heaven looks like but I imagine it close to that!!!! For the home garage guy stick to something that at least has a life time guarantee. IMO.

Old 01-30-2010 | 12:30 PM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member

Just stay away from Harbor Freight.
+1 on that!!!

My choice is Snap-on, but your's may differ.

But I have a thing about Snap-on...

Last edited by 97FXSTSB; 01-30-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench