General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010 | 11:23 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll take my Snap-On's any day of the week.

Old 01-28-2010 | 11:26 PM
ashmarc
Road Master

Originally Posted by BadPiggy

Over Harbor Freight? C'mon!!

Old 01-28-2010 | 11:34 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member

Have a couple Craftsman (3/8" and 1/2") in the garage at home that work pretty well. Use 3 different Snap-On (1/4", 3/8" and 1/2") torque wrenches at work. The 3/8" and
1/2" are digital and I wouldn't trade those for anything else. Saves me a ton of time throughout the day.

Old 01-28-2010 | 11:49 PM
Sancho
Road Master

Originally Posted by rkcmike63
Looking to get a torque wrench but was hoping for some advice. I borrowed a friends 1/2" Snap-On torque wrench to torque the bolts on the clutch diaphragm spring but sheared the head on one of the bolts. I never used a torque wrench before and thought that one of the Sears dial type wrenchs may be easier to use. Any input will appreciated.
Ride safe
Mike
I'm sure after reading all these posts you're at the same point you were when you wrote it. I always set my wrench's at the bottom end of the spec just to be on the safe side. The harbor Freight doesn't look like a bad deal for the price.

Old 01-28-2010 | 11:53 PM
strtarrow
Banned

Hey you with the ugly bike, ya don't have to agree with everything I say.....

Old 01-29-2010 | 12:29 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Looking to get a torque wrench but was hoping for some advice. I borrowed a friends 1/2" Snap-On torque wrench to torque the bolts on the clutch diaphragm spring but sheared the head on one of the bolts. I never used a torque wrench before and thought that one of the Sears dial type wrenchs may be easier to use. Any input will appreciated.
Ride safe
Mike
Me too... on the Harbor Freight (man, I never thought I say that!).
Make sure you have the 1/4" (inch pounds) and the 3/8" and 1/2" as well. Remember, if your bolt feels like it's gonna break, then chances are it will.
Best of luck.

Old 01-29-2010 | 12:34 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Never have regretted making the investment in good quality torque wrenches. Used to have crapsman, switched to Snap On and never looked back.

Old 01-29-2010 | 01:03 AM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain

Ride safe
Mike
I love my Snap-on Torque wrench and would never own anything else. This is coming from a former technician and current shop owners standpoint. Secondly, most likely reason you snapped the head off the bolt was because the torque wrench you were using clicks when you hit the desired torque. You will feel it give just a little bit when it clicks. Dont ever use a dial type torque wrench, They are all TRASH

Originally Posted by iclick
Harbor Freight makes makes some very accurate torque wrenches at very low prices, and they come with a lifetime guarantee that Craftsman and Snap-On don't have. If they break you take them back for a replacement. I've had 3/8"- and 1/4"-drive HF wrenches for about 10 years and I've had no trouble with them. I also tested them for calibration and the smaller wrench was spot-on throughout its range while the larger unit was off 1# at the 150# setting, well within 4% SAE tolerances.

BTW, I had a $350 Snap-On wrench that tested much worse than the HF wrenches and the company wanted $40 to calibrate it, so I sold it.
You have got to be kidding me. Harbor Freight better than Snap-on, What you been smoking on cause i sure need some of that...

What do you mean Snap-on doesnt have a lifetime warranty?? Not only is it a NO QUESTIONS ASKED lifetime warranty but they come to you!!!

Something i learned along time ago: what good is a lifetime warranty on a cheap tool if you gotta have it replaced everytime you use it... Just cause HF has lifetime warranty doesnt mean its worth a s**t... Statistically most ppl dont enforce a warranty.

Old 01-29-2010 | 01:13 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

I have used snapon and matco torq wrenches and I would not trade my Armstrong torq wrench for either. Armstrong is a little less money but every bit as nice. my 3/8" inch pound was only about $160 but worth every penny. I would not personally use a harbor frieght torq wrench on anything that truelly needed an accurate torq reading. Bigger stuff maybe but not 50-100 in/lbs.

Old 01-29-2010 | 06:02 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member

I use Craftsman. They go on sale around Christmas time. Heard of a few happy people with the harbor freight. Not many happy with snap on. High price and they seem to go out of spec more often.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench