General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather jacket debate

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:39 AM
Long124
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 On the Bates...I have one of their leather jackets and its nice. Yes you pay more but if you need a custom jacket they are good. You can get zip out liners, zippered vents and any color combo you might want and price wise once you get up into the pricey Harley coats the difference is not that much for something thats made for you. I was able to meet with them at the Chicago Motorcycle Show but they do numerous events. I also have a Z Custom Leathers coat also which Ive had for a while...good quality also.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:59 AM
cmtbasser
Tourer

Originally Posted by fairplay
I sort of understand. You are looking for a plain leather. Most of what the moco sells these days are all bling'd up. I opted for a domestic made jacket and even real leather. If it is moco it cant be too thick!

any way, take it to a tailor have them remove the stuffing
that may work, I do know there are a ton of non HD but I am kind of a homer and like having the HD logo on there. I am glad you said blinged I agree but didnt think of that word.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:25 AM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmtbasser
I have a really nice basic HD 2x leather jacket, plain with the harley logo on the left chest no excessive buckles, skulls, or patches. The problem is its too dam heavily insulated so I rarely wear it(its like bran new). What to you all have? Mine would be perfect if it was just the leather outer with a liner and no heavy insulation. Does anyone know does the moco have one like that?
try fox creek or one of the others vendors here on the forum .i'm sure they would have a lighter jacket or go with some of the other materials that are used like nylon they are just as warm but lighter with body armor in the elbows and shoulders.ride safe

Old 01-29-2010, 07:43 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

Not HARLEY branded but,
May wish to consider motorcycle closeout they have deals on brand new "last years" models of stuff most times, Limited selection and sizes.
They have this jacket but only in larger sizes
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/c...leather+jacket
This other web location also has new models and old models with good prices/selection and offer very random deals on close-outs...the close-out prices sometimes are very low but sizes are very limited. If you sign-up they sometimes send you coupons.
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/

Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Pacodelahoya
Cruiser

yes its GHD an no, I am not really looking to sell it I just want to find one thats "lighter" I will wear this one on the cold days altough I rarely ride when its below 60.
Wish I could say that. If I set 60 as a benchmark, I would only ride about three months a year and very few of the nights!! Last year, about two months.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:45 AM
2of2
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went with the HD Codura nylon jacket. It is lightweight, warm, and doubles as a rain jacket. I bought matching pants and they both keep me warm in the winter and dry in the rain. No need for seperate rain gear. They roll up and fit into my bags. I keep a sweatshirt in my bags for those extra cold mornings. I rarely wear my leather anymore and never wear my chaps. i have found that layering works well, especially here in the desert where temps can fluctuate as much as 50 degrees in a matter of hours.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:53 AM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the HD Leather but it, simply, is not in my price range. Not that I can't afford it but more like I wouldn't give them what they are asking for any of their leather jackets. If you want a top quality leather jacket or leather anything and don't want to pay a fortune for it, check out www.rockinleather.com . I have two jackets from this company and both are top quality and I gave less for 2 of theirs than HD asks for one of theirs.
If you are one of those folks that just have to have Harley Davidson on your clothes, you can buy from rockinleather and then take it to embroidery shop and have them embroider anything you want onto the jacket or you can buy an HD patch and sew it on. Either way, you get as good as or better quality than HD with the bling for less than half the cost.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 AM
smittypac
Cruiser

For warm days I went with a leather shirt from Barneys. Scored it on eabay for $40. T-shirt, or jersey under.Throw vest over top and it works well. I also have my tried and true Bates. One of the best jackets I have ever owned. However I have been drooling over a Langlitz of late. I keep watching ebay they come up once in a while.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Check out the "Nevada" jacket by HD.

It only says "Harley-Davidson" on the snaps, not all over it like most HD jackets.
It has a removeable liner and vents front and back.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:46 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cmtbasser
I have a really nice basic HD 2x leather jacket, plain with the harley logo on the left chest no excessive buckles, skulls, or patches. The problem is its too dam heavily insulated so I rarely wear it(its like bran new). What to you all have? Mine would be perfect if it was just the leather outer with a liner and no heavy insulation. Does anyone know does the moco have one like that?
The FXRG (stands for Functional Riding Gear), would be the solution. It's liner can be removed and it is vented. Have several buddies that have it. It's pricey ($600). I opted for the Fox Creek version and you can pretty much wear either one until it hits the 90's. For the really hot days, get a mesh flow-through jacket.

Last edited by FLHTCU Owner; 01-29-2010 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Leather jacket debate