General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather jacket debate

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 PM
MNrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the HD Torque jacket. The leather is so and it has 2 vents in the front and 1 in the back. It's a little on the heavy side but that's probably better protection anyway. It's not very warm in late fall so it could be what you're looking for. They have some nice perf jackets too.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:58 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am just curious why if you live in Texas would you buy a leather jacket without a removable liner? I've spent plenty of time there and sure it can get chilly but not like Yankee chilly. If you have that much coin into it as I do mine I would suggest finding a tailor that would be able to make your jacket a convertible. IOW, perhaps they can remove the liner, tack it in with zippers. I have found such people to work on some of my leathers.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Fox Creek Leather...with a zip out liner (may be too heavy for you but whatever - excellent quality stuff (and not covered with HD advertising).

Good choice unless you are really after feeding that huge HD Retail shop-o-rama that is the Moco these days...dealerships may as well have a Macy's (errr Nordstrom) sign on the front, I swear. All that "HD" schwag...not for me. It used to be rare...now it's just sooooo overdone IMHO. But yeah, good quality.

Aaaanyway...really? Man, hundreds and and hundreds of styles and manufacturers out there.

Fox Creek makes some of the best. Look em up.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 PM
cmtbasser
Tourer

Originally Posted by strtarrow
I am just curious why if you live in Texas would you buy a leather jacket without a removable liner? I've spent plenty of time there and sure it can get chilly but not like Yankee chilly. If you have that much coin into it as I do mine I would suggest finding a tailor that would be able to make your jacket a convertible. IOW, perhaps they can remove the liner, tack it in with zippers. I have found such people to work on some of my leathers.
It was a gift from a friend in Tenessee that I kept books for for hail repair and the only "plain" one he could find.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member

I like these better than anything I ever tried on at the MOCO.... It is thick leather, and is not light. My MC Classic I has a zip out liner that is long sleeve and has a detachable neck warmer. I love it..

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/mensjackets.phtml

Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 PM
cmtbasser
Tourer

thanks I'll check it out.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My first leather jacket was a Bates I got when I was 12 years old. Now at 50 can't get it zipped up but it is by far the best quality leather I have EVER seen and still looks just broken in. My son now wears it. They have been in business for 50 years and I have never seen anyone else wearing one but if they are still of the same quality you can't go wrong. Mighty pricey at close to 7 bills but if you can afford it you will not be disappointed. People rave about the FXRG gear but I have not checked it out. If interested here is the link to Bates and this is just one of their jackets. They custom make them to your own measurements. http://www.batesleathers.com/streetw...pe=traditional

BTW, made in the USA!!!!

Last edited by strtarrow; 01-28-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:00 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well - you get props for at least wanting to wear something protective when it gets warm. Nothing special about "genuine HD" leather. As others have said there are other choices. If it's a weight issue you might want to look for goatskin jackets. They provide a reasonable amount of protection with less heft. You're probably not in the market for a Langlitz - just happen to have them on my mind right now (probably going to order one tomorrow).

http://www.langlitz.com/

They have an interesting option -

http://www.langlitz.com/shirts.shtml

Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 PM
fairplay
Road Master

I sort of understand. You are looking for a plain leather. Most of what the moco sells these days are all bling'd up. I opted for a domestic made jacket and even real leather. If it is moco it cant be too thick!

any way, take it to a tailor have them remove the stuffing

Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a HD leather jacket only because i found it at 1/2 price at a Big Dog shop but if i needed to buy another one i would go with Foxcreek. Their stuff really looks good and made right here in the USA.

Quick Reply: Leather jacket debate