General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another dealer closing

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010 | 08:19 PM
07 dyna man
|
Tourer
Default another dealer closing

another new jersey dealer is closing their doors. Legends harley davidson in roxbury is closing on january 30th, this isnt looking good guys

Old 01-28-2010 | 08:34 PM
jason628
Road Warrior

Greetings,

Well as the saying goes...Only the strong shall survive in these times.

Old 01-28-2010 | 08:39 PM
71shovelhead
Novice

Prestige in Congers NY is giving it up also

Old 01-28-2010 | 08:44 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Maybe they should have raised the prices. Isn't that their mentality? Want to make more money, put up the price.

If these boneheads lowered prices, so the average person could afford to own and maintain a harley they'd make 10 times the profit in volume.

Old 01-28-2010 | 09:31 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 71shovelhead
Prestige in Congers NY is giving it up also
Yep, confirmed. Both of my bikes came from there. I heard 2 more in the area are not far behind. Sad.

Old 01-29-2010 | 08:39 AM
karlmdog
Tourer

Bergen County Harley in Jersey started carrying BMW bikes now. Dropped Buell, moved on to BMW's. Doing what they feel they must to keep the doors open I'm sure, but it's really freaky to walk in there and see that full line of Beemers alongside all the Harleys. A sign of the times.

Old 01-29-2010 | 08:47 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior

Is this not the price to pay of a new boutique HD dealers??
Invest your hard earned dollars into a franchise only to have thewm tell you that you need to have a museum quality showroom?

Let MOCO pay for the additional overhead... Yeah right!This just sucks folks.
The only people getting screwed AGAIN is the end user/consumer, dealer employees/owners.
I have always prefered the old time mom and pop family dealerships. They are almost a thing of the past. Maybe some photos of the "ole time" dealers should be sent to the Wheels in Time Museum.
Sorry man..had to vent,

Old 01-29-2010 | 08:51 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master

Originally Posted by zeus33
Maybe they should have raised the prices. Isn't that their mentality? Want to make more money, put up the price.

If these boneheads lowered prices, so the average person could afford to own and maintain a harley they'd make 10 times the profit in volume.
+1

Old 01-29-2010 | 09:11 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

I believe that the MOCO got too good at spending OTHER PEOPLES MONEY (their dealers money). They expanded way too much, way too fast. Now, sales will fall back to a level that the "real" market will support. What is that level? Somewhere between where it was in 1984 and 2007. The MOCO will still be here when things settle out, but there will be far fewer dealers. And a lot of those dealers well be multi-line dealerships. I also believe the the MOCO will not have such tight controll on their dealerships in the future. They, (Harley-Davidson) may actually be happy to have one or two or ....maybe more. JMHO though!

Old 01-29-2010 | 09:59 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by will2002
I believe that the MOCO got too good at spending OTHER PEOPLES MONEY (their dealers money). They expanded way too much, way too fast. Now, sales will fall back to a level that the "real" market will support. What is that level? Somewhere between where it was in 1984 and 2007. The MOCO will still be here when things settle out, but there will be far fewer dealers. And a lot of those dealers well be multi-line dealerships. I also believe the the MOCO will not have such tight controll on their dealerships in the future. They, (Harley-Davidson) may actually be happy to have one or two or ....maybe more. JMHO though!
Correct. All franchise issuers are good at spending other people's money....whether it be McDonalds or Harley-Davidson. You should be relieved MoCo isn't the one that financially fueled the dealership boutique fiasco....because if they had been there would be an excellent chance HD would cease to exist.

My 2010 FXD is the first Harley I've ever owned....though I've owned (and will continue to own) other bikes for many years. I've always liked Harleys, but every time I went into one of their boutique dealerships I found the prices a bit daunting, but the thing that really kept me from buying a bike was the arrogant attitudes at the dealerships. The pr*cks behaved like they were doing you a favor by selling you a bike. Another dealer has opened, just across the state line, and in this economic environment they know they are depending upon their customer's goodwill for survival.

Will MoCo survive? It certainly will (because their corporate attorneys know it is always better to lose other people's money), and hopefully it will be decades before another motorcycle bubble allows HD dealerships to treat customers like the big dealer did here (I didn't buy from them, they're out of business, and good f*cking riddance).

Quick Reply: another dealer closing