General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys handle private sale of your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:13 PM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Default How do you guys handle private sale of your bike?

Where to advertise? Avoiding joy riders. Not the least of my concerns would be letting someone test ride it not knowing there riding skill or true intent!

Old 01-28-2010, 04:30 PM
hdbe
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chopper exchange is a good site

or craigs list

Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 PM
GVDobler
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at buying from a private party. I would not ask for a test ride until I decided to buy that bike. The ride should only be after a deal is made and then just to confirm that it operates as advertized. I would want to go thru the gears and see that they all work and that the bike tracks straight.

"What kinda bike do I want" kind of test riding is for dealerships.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:45 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I like e-bay. Sold my fair share of bikes there. I don't like sites where you advertise for the highest price you would like then have buyers chiseling you down on price. Absolutely no test rides. Most people who buy Harleys already know this though. I've asked people selling bikes to ride them up and down a road running through the gears while I watch them so I know the trans and clutch are ok. I don't let people come and look at the bike. The less amount of people who know where a bike is the better off you are. As long as you aren't deceiving anyone about the condition of a bike (noisey trans or engine, burning oil...etc) there is no reason to have anyone inspect the bike. We all know what a Softail, Sporty or Touring bike looks like. put up at least 10 pictures of different angles. Winning bidder only gets your address. Check the completed listings on your make and model to see what comparable bikes are REALLY selling for. That way you are not THAT GUY wondering why no one placed the opening bid of $16,000 for your mid 90's Softail

Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

I always use Cycle trader. Cash only unless we meet at their bank for a cashier's check. A demo ride is ok as long as I'm either on my other bike or in the truck going along with him. If a guy is seriously shopping it's no problem for him to go to his bank and get cash. If he's got the money he's got the money whether it comes from his savings account or from a loan. But if he prefers to use a cashier's check I meet him at the bank and take receipt of the check from the bank teller. It's too easy nowadays to fake a cashier's check. But I've sold 8 motorcyles in the past 15 yrs and each one was advertised in Cycle Trader and the buyer paid in cash.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:54 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

+1 on the Cycle Trader. I've sold 2 bikes on there.

Cash is always nice, but otherwise I have always met the other party at a bank, got a check directly from the institution and handed over the title and bike.

As far as test rides go, if they have a motorcycle endorsement on their drivers license, I don't get too worried. But the golden rule should always apply to a test ride situation (and make it be known): "I break, I cry. You break, you buy."

Old 01-28-2010, 05:11 PM
GetLost☠1982
Road Captain

picked mine up on craigslist. will probably use that again when I'm ready for the next round. I'd expect to ride it before I buy but that would be the last thing..after a thorough inspection. Probably ask the seller to follow along in a car.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:08 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Cash isn't as safe as some might think. There are plenty of counterfeit #100's out there.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

When I was looking last summer, I went to see like 5 bikes and all offered test rides. A LEO selling put it best: "show up on a bike with a MC license and you can test ride it". That's what I would say too

Old 01-28-2010, 06:52 PM
hogrider98
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default test ride

last one I sold was cash in hand,sign a waiver that my dealer provided for me. and then if you have a license with a motorcycle endorsement and a helmet you can road test bike.
if at that point it is not for you and bike is returned in same condition with in 60 minutes.
no hard feelings and cash is returned.

Brian

Quick Reply: How do you guys handle private sale of your bike?