General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who pays new price for used bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:49 PM
ONEhorse
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who pays new price for used bikes?

With so many bikes for sale now, how can people still ask close to new, or sometimes same as new prices for 1, 2 and even 3 year old bikes? Are people actually getting these high prices still, or are they just wishing? Is the market flooded with used bikes and if so, are we going to see resale of used bikes a little cheaper?

Old 07-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: who pays new price for used bikes?

There are alot of people who have paid way over MSRP because they didn't know any better or couldn't wait. Now they are just trying, very unsuccessfully I might add, to make some of their money back.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:08 PM
LDrider
Cruiser

I hear what your sayin, who would be crazy enough to spend 19G's on oh let's say an 05 classic with hardly any miles when the 07 MSRP is 18.5? ME! Lets do the math.

07 Classic tax, prep, frieght,doc, etc 20,010.00
IK service, SERT and dyno 1,100.00
great stuff original owner did to his 05 6,000.00 *
94/104 dyno run on the 05.....Priceless

*I'm not including the 95in upgrade that's on the 05 since that just makes it more on a par with the 07.

I was going to replace my totaled 05 Classic with an 07 but after finding this barely used 05, I changed my mind.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:26 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It was only a few years ago that ALMOST ALL Harley dealers were tacking on several thousand dollars to MSRP. Not all but by far most of them.

What happened in my case is: I live in Tucson and refused to pay over MSRP at my local Tucson dealer. I found a dealer in Phoenix that would sell me a Heritage Classic for MSRP. I bought from him. A year later I advertised it here in Tucson for sale for MSRP. Since the buyer saved several thousand dollars over the local dealer plus the saveings on sales tax, I had no trouble selling the bike. It was only because of the dealer here in Tucson that I could get away with that.

The Tucson dealer is one of the many that now sells most of their bikes for MSRP. As a result, since supply has met demand, I think you will find the practice of selling used bikes for MSRP will diminish and eventually disappear.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:11 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ONEhorse

With so many bikes for sale now, how can people still ask close to new, or sometimes same as new prices for 1, 2 and even 3 year old bikes? Are people actually getting these high prices still, or are they just wishing? Is the market flooded with used bikes and if so, are we going to see resale of used bikes a little cheaper?
Here in Arizona you don't pay any sales tax if you buy from a private party, so that saves a lot of money, plus no setup or documentation charges and no shipping charges. So if someone is selling their newer bike for close to it's original MSRP then you would be saving $2500 or more which is a good savings. Also they might have a few add ons on the bike already. Now go deal with the dealer and see what the OTD price is including all those charges on a new one.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:04 PM
spartns
Road Master

I bought my bike when it was just a year old. I paid a little under MSRP, but, when I add all of the equipment that was on it, i actually saved about $3000 over me adding it. With the stuff I've added I probably could get what I paid for it 3 years later.

Old 07-22-2006, 06:59 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Remember ther's a difference 'tween askin' a price, and gettin' that price.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:08 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Tucson Harley is STILL selling at MSRP (or over if they think they can get it).

Old 09-04-2007, 04:14 PM
txgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pococj

Remember ther's a difference 'tween askin' a price, and gettin' that price.
Took the words right out of my mouth! Watch some of the Ads in the paper then when you see it disappear call and see if its really sold. I would bet a good number of them are still for sale.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:33 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think at one time ... not so long ago, you pretty much had to wait up to 2 yrs to get a new HD. So a usedHD really held it's value.They weren't so easy to come by.Back then, dealers didn't have the stock they like they do now days. Things have changed somewhat over the years when it comes to their marketing practices. Now, you can pretty much walk into any dealership and pickone out of many colours and models.With this escalating population of HD's out there now, it's not so difficult therefore the difference between new and used pricesare muchfarther apart.