General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have this luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:36 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm takin' bets that you very close (within 3 miles) to a significant freeway or major artery. That seems to be the new HD strategy for marketing. Makes sense, I'm just wondering if I might be right. How close are you to the onramp? It's great to be that close. I wish I was, it would save me a lot of time running back and forth. Enjoy it!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:37 PM
WebWolf
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 18 Posts

I worked with St Paul HD when I started looking at a new FLHTK. I was also working with two other dealers and they came through for me. Mark, my salesman talked to the sales manager and I ended up getting some cash off of the bike and I was given the MVP discount for all the goodies I was going to get as well. When all was said and done, I did pay quite a bit for all the things I got but I ended up getting about 3k off of the actual cost I should have paid. They did well by me and would recommend them. NOTE: I have heard a lot of bad press on them but at least my dealing with them was very positive.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Bushrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definitely!

I had a lot of trouble with my bike last season (>20years old and ridden a lot). The guys in the service dept at HD of Prince George bent over backwards to keep me on the road. I didn't buy my bike from them but they definitely know what "customer service" is all about.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:57 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Not a luxury,it is the way it should be.I always enjoy going to dealerships,it pays to be a good person to all.Remember we all have something in common,talking the same language is a part of it.From the owner,managers, techs, even the parts people it pays big dividends to be on good terms.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:08 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with the OP I can say the same for the guys at Anaheim Fullerton HD

Old 01-27-2010, 03:46 PM
GONZEE
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rice Lake HD(Wisconsin)have treated me very well over the years, honest with me and they dont laugh at my screw ups for to long. now days it seems like a luxery because good service has fallen along the wayside at most places.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:59 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Zepka Harley in Johnstown Pa , home of Thunder in the Valley Rally, Are great people they treat ya like family. I have three dealers with in 30 miles of me and they are the only ones I deal with. Brad Zepka the owner from the first day we met has acted like he knew me all my life. His dad started the dealership atleast 50 years ago and he is the same way.
Clap

Old 01-27-2010, 04:04 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most times when I go to a store, HD dealer or other, the sales people and staff plain ignore me. I guess I have to admit though, that I do look like a poor slob who couldn't buy a cup of coffee if I wanted one. Most times, I'm glad to not be bothered. Other times, I've got a pocket full of cash, waitin to turn loose of it. I almost always buy things with cash, even bikes and cars. When I'm in the market, I go with the cash in hand just in case I find what I want. Had a couple opportunities, when I was ignored for some one who just wanted to chit chat, and went across the street and made the purchase. Of course I had to take my brand new fully paid for item back across the street and tell the manager how much they just lost. That's always fun!

The closest HD dealer to me is about 24-28 miles away. I've done a little parts shoppin, and even had my front motor mount done by them. But I can't say I've been a frequent customer, not enough they should recognize me.

Well, I was in one day buying something small I'm sure, and the owner came up to the counter with another customer. He noticed me standing there, and stopped his conversation with the guy he walked up with to just to say "Hi, where have you been? Haven't seen you around lately." We spoke a few kind words to each other, I was kinda wondering who he was and why he thought he recognized me. Well, a few minutes into the conversation, I did tell him that I was probably not the person he thought I was. He was a little surprised, and made a polite exit.

The funny part is, the next time I went in, about a week later, the owner was getting out of a Tahoe with some one else driving. I was in my wife's mini van, and leaned over so he could see me, then waved. He half heartedly waved back, then gave me a look like "who the hell is that?"

Yep, back to the norm! So much for feeling like you are somebody! LOL!

Old 01-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GONZEE
Rice Lake HD(Wisconsin)have treated me very well over the years, honest with me and they dont laugh at my screw ups for to long. now days it seems like a luxery because good service has fallen along the wayside at most places.
Heck, Gonz, I get into RLHD at least once, thru the summer. Usually, twice. Riding buds has family over that way.

I'd really like to think that the folx at the dealers we occassionally stop at, know my name because they 'care'. Truth is, they only know me, because of the Cap'n.

Course, guess if I bought SOMETHING, ANYTHING there, that might help, huh ??

I know they know me. Cause I hear 'em as I walk by, "That's the Cheep Oldt "F"er with the Capt America chopper."

All I know for sure, is I miss the chit out of places like Belmont Harley on W 7th in St Paul. Old couches lined one wall in the shop area. Always a couple to a bunch of guys hangin' out, drinking beer, BSing. Howard would be right there, BSing, too. Just as greasy as anyone.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
~cut some~ Yet, the service and parts guys know and call me by name, plus know by recall the year/model and setup of my bike. Kinda feel like they're my riding buddies or something. They'll shoot the bull with me if not busy(I've gained tons of knowledge about bikes), and it's pretty much just a joy to stop in and kick tires from time to time, especially now during winter. So, I feel very fortunate to have this store, a HD store, and these particular individuals, so close to my home. .
I personally think many customers themselves, make or brake a friendly dealer relationship. I take most dealer criticism with a bit of skepticism..ymmv....

Quick Reply: Anyone else have this luxury?