General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got 2 new skins but

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010 | 11:14 PM
shake rattle n roll
|
Tourer
Default Got 2 new skins but

I was thinking it might be a good idea to replace the wheel bearings as well.
i just got this bike and looking at the rear tire sidewall it was on there for a verry long time
Unfourtunatly for me my wheels are not stockers, they are cci wheels made jan 1991.
anyone know if the bearings might be the same or how to tell what i need to get ?
I can post some pics if that helps .

OMG it aint looking like my bike anymore

Old 01-26-2010 | 11:19 PM
newbiker
Cruiser

Remove bearings, measure them, call bearing store and get them for $2-3 a piece.

Old 01-26-2010 | 11:29 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

IF they're '91 wheels, I am going out on a limb, and say, they only need cleaning and repacking.
Also, not gonna venture a guess on the bearings, and their interchangeability, as no personal experience with their wheels. But my gut says, Yes. (DH, guess that IS a guess, HUH ????? )

IF you do pull them, and they do indeed need replacing, it is just a matter of taking both the race and the bearing into the auto parts store. They can mic the O.D., I.D. and thickness. Punch it into the puter, and it will spit out the part # for them. It is going to be a common bearing, readily accessible. Some Timken brgs have the # stamped right on them, WAY EASY, then.

Not sure how far you've gone with the Ol' Boy, so far, but while you have the wheels off, great time to service the front forks, neck bearing, and don't forget to set your "fall away" before you take it off the jack.

When I get one like you have (I bought the 78 2 yrs ago), I take NO CHANCES. I did the swingarm bearings, and neck bearings, also. EVEN if it has a a grease zerk, I still pull them, clean 'em in the solvent tank, and check them over, repack or replace. It's a 40 yr old, scoot, and you have NO WAY of knowing, just what you are 'starting out' with. This way, you WILL KNOW !!!!! Voila, you just did EVERY bearing in the scoot. IF you did replace them all, (not that costly), you basically have a 'new' chassis.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...intenance.html

GLAD you're digging into the ol' shovel. GOOD on ya !!!!!!

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 01-26-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2010 | 11:30 PM
shake rattle n roll
|
Tourer

heres a link to my pics of the wheels on here

I guess it should be about the same to remove the seals and bearings as a stock wheel eh ?

Old 01-26-2010 | 11:32 PM
shake rattle n roll
|
Tourer

waiting on neck bearings lol, this things got to pass an out ov province inspection ..the first time .
I wanna ride it home

Old 01-26-2010 | 11:33 PM
baldric
Road Warrior

Just about all bearings have a # and Mfg name on the side of the race this way you can get the exact same bearings every time as long as you can still read the number. Only ones I have seen without the number is the cheapest crap you can find and they come with the standard warrenty of it made it to the till warranty is used up.
I see your in Alberta also. If you get the numbers phone BC bearing and they can run them for you. Bought lets of bearings through them at work when I spun wrenches never let me down on quality.

Last edited by baldric; 01-26-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2010 | 11:39 PM
shake rattle n roll
|
Tourer

Im gonna pull them , the front ones look kinda rust colored.
One is free the other stiff.
Im rideing this thing not it rideing me lol, but i bet theres #s like you said.
Probly do the same with the seals
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...7212-frt-2.jpg

Old 01-26-2010 | 11:53 PM
baldric
Road Warrior

The seals will be toast if you pull the bearings using your pic as a refrence, I am sure they can match the seals to the bearing if required. Kinda rusty beggers in your pic aint they.