General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it me, or do fewer people wave now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006 | 02:12 PM
robp2006
Tourer
Default RE: Is it me, or do fewer people wave now?

ORIGINAL: GeezerGlider

Waving gets tiring? Bullsh_t. It ain't even a real wave - it's more like you move your hand a few inches down and left of your grip and stick some fingers out. If someone finds that tiring, I'd recommend a weightlifting regimen to cure that weakness......

Wave - it's an acknowledgement of the brotherhood thing. And it ain't that big a deal if they don't. Just means they don't get it.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. The wave (also known as sticking a few fingers out) is a brotherhood thing which I suppose is becoming something of the past. There was a time when all Harley riders were in a tough guy/bad dude image and that brotherhood was there with everyone. However, now that there are so many people from all different type of lifes riding harleys the brotherhood thing is dying with it. So I say, wave and wave to them all. Don't let the brotherhood of riding die. Remember, it's not what you ride but that you ride. Except when you ride a Harley you are riding in style.

Old 07-25-2006 | 02:16 PM
robp2006
Tourer

ORIGINAL: HTRAUD

I tell you what I hate... You pull up to a light and another biker pulls up to the same light and there is absolutely no acknowledgement. Like I am too cool to even look at you and say hello or what's up. Tell me the deal with that? Ain't nobdy that cool. If you think you are, you are mistaken yourself for an a-hole!
I totally agree with you HTRAUD and I've been guilty of not talking to someone or at least saying hey. I'm changing that today. I think we need to acknowledge each other. It's a respect thing. Thank you for getting me back on the right track.

Old 07-25-2006 | 10:33 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

I was at a light the other day and a guy on a harley pulled up next to me. He went as far as looking in the opposite direection to avoid making contact with me.

Am I that weird looking???????

Old 07-26-2006 | 02:40 AM
kimo
Cruiser

I try too always wave no matter what bike you ride.. Sometimes not able too shifting gears or whatever. Majority of the peeps in Louisiana ive come across wave.

Old 07-26-2006 | 11:01 AM
Basz
Road Master

I find most people wave in this area with the exception of the freeway.
Only about 10% of opposing direction freeway riders wave.

Old 07-26-2006 | 04:37 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

Someone asked earlier if people with the same kind of car wave at each other. Yes they do. At least they did when I owned a Renault Dauphine, V.S. Bug, Corvette, Miata and Porsche.

AND, I wave at everyone, including scooters and mopeds and my last bike was a BMW !!

Old 07-26-2006 | 05:39 PM
Captain Harley
Advanced

Been riding over 30 years now. Don't remember ppl waving or giving the high sign that much in the early days. One reason maybe is bacause there was not that many scooters on the road then. Do see a fair amount of it now. I usually return one and sometimes initiate one....

Old 07-26-2006 | 07:00 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

those that don't wave get over your self it's a brotherhood thing
and it doesn't matter what you ride but that you ride
here in so cal we do a lot of waving not on the freeway usually
to far away but on the back road everybody waves just the nice thing to do
yes it is kinda strange that at a stop sign and it is mostly harley riders ignore you
or at least try. guess they saw to many HA movies.....

Old 07-26-2006 | 07:07 PM
mayday
Cruiser

I always wave and most wave back...only a small few...and I think thats because they didnt see me. And I've done that before.....be lost in thought and didnt see the bike or the wave until they were going by.....then I'm thinking..dang!....bet they think I'm a real "dick".