General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it me, or do fewer people wave now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006 | 12:33 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior
Default RE: Is it me, or do fewer people wave now?

I tell you what I hate... You pull up to a light and another biker pulls up to the same light and there is absolutely no acknowledgement. Like I am too cool to even look at you and say hello or what's up. Tell me the deal with that? Ain't nobdy that cool. If you think you are, you are mistaken yourself for an a-hole!

Old 07-24-2006 | 12:33 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dgator66

Hey, if I patent a foam hand that pops out of the saddle bag and waves when you push a button, do yall think folks would buy it? We could market as a safety device. "Keep both hands on the bars with WONDER WAVE". Of course, we could also have the one fingered option for use in emergency situations. Only 49.95, whatcha think?[sm=confused06.gif]
I'll buy One!!!
I wave as much as I can stand. Problem here in Washington most people do wave and there are tons and tons of bikes. Any given day when riding your left arm is mostly waving then gripping the grip.

Personally, and not to be a jerk, but I seceretly wished that no one waved.

Old 07-24-2006 | 12:40 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

it was a really nice day and there were a lot more people riding than usual and a lot of them didn't wave back. The only person I didn't wave to was a sport bike that was doing a wheelie at about 75 mph. I figured he had enough to worry about without waving back to me.

Not waving back if you notice it and are just cruising along is rude. I am sorry there is no other way to state it. Just dont' get it. I can see not waving if you don't feel like it but if someone waves to you wave back. Just like if you are hiking and someone says hi you say hi back. Or hello or whatever.

Maybe people are just don't have as good manners these days. 20 years ago when I was riding metrics everybody wave except Harley riders in groups. If they were alone they would wave but if they were in a big group they wouldn't.

Old 07-24-2006 | 11:32 AM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

I wave at everyone, i stop for all broke down bikes when i'm riding or driving.
I get waived back to about half the time. If they don't waive back so be it, i figure they're to dumb to know what it means, to lazy to do it or to big on themselves to do it, their problem not mine. The ones that are to big on themselves to do it, i didn't want to hear from anyway.
I probably get more waves from farmers, truckers , kids in cages and folks on the street than i do from other bikes.

Old 07-24-2006 | 01:04 PM
anniv03classic
Tourer

I wave to anyone.............if they wave back, great. If not, oh well.

Doesn't take much effort to wave. It's just a friendly gesture. It's more of what this country needs.

Old 07-24-2006 | 01:20 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: anniv03classic

I wave to anyone.............if they wave back, great. If not, oh well.

Doesn't take much effort to wave. It's just a friendly gesture. It's more of what this country needs.
You know, you are absolutely correct.

Old 07-24-2006 | 01:56 PM
Jular2
Road Captain

I find that most if not all Harley riders wave. The Wing Dingers really don't--wonder why.

Old 07-25-2006 | 02:05 AM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Top 14 reasons Harley riders don't wave back:

14. Afraid will invalidate Warranty.
13. Leather and Studs makes it too hard to raise arm
12. Refuses to wave at anyone whose bike is already paid for.
11. Loud exhaust vibrations have disabled brain's wave reflex.
10. Loss of aerodynamics would cause gas mileage to plummet from 5mpg to only 2.
9. Raising arm into wind would cause the Harley riders cigarette to go out.
8. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
7. Rushing wind would blow the scabs off the new tattoos.
6. Angry because they just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley
5. Just discovered fine print in the owners manual and realized Harley is partially owned by those "Rice Burner" manufacturers.
4. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching up to cover their ears like everyone else.
3. Last time a Harley rider waved back, they impaled their hand on their spiked helmet.
2. Just spent the morning combing their underarm hair.
1. Jealous that after spend over $30 thousand dollars they still don't own a Goldwing

Old 07-25-2006 | 03:09 AM
librarian
Intermediate

All these posts about waving got me to wondering how far back the the waving thing goes. I began riding in the mid 1960's. Back then I rode a Honda 305 Superhawk. I was almost afraid to wave at Harley riders. I saw too many of those Hells Angels movies and was afraid they might chase me down and beat me to death. I got over that and began waving at Harley riders and they waved right back. The type of wave seemed to change a lot in the last few years of the 60's. First it was just a wave. Always a high wave. When the peace movement began to grow, many of us began flashing the peace sign. It got to be pretty strange not to give or recieve the peace sign when riding. Then, in the very late 60's and early 70's when the Black Power movement took hold, it became common to raise the clenched fist. I don't think that went away until about '73 or so. Today, the low wave seems to be favored by Harley riders, but a high wave seems to be more often used by Wing riders as well as other metric folks. This afternoon, as I was riding along, I waved at a guy on an EG and he raised the clenched fist. It took me back a lot of years. I wonder if any of you can remember whether waving was a thing in the 1950's or even earlier. It would be fascinating to know just how far back in Motorcycle history it goes. These days I favor a low wave. It may be my imagination, but it seems that quite a few who wave back seem to be using two fingers in a manner almost like the old peace sign, but down low, unlike it was in the 60's. I wonder if something might be coming back around.

Don Williams a.k.a. Librarian

Old 07-25-2006 | 03:10 AM
needaz
Cruiser

I have had all the harley riders wave. Some crotch rockets also. I have had gold wingers not wave... HHHHMMMMMMM

Quick Reply: Is it me, or do fewer people wave now?