General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it me, or do fewer people wave now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006 | 05:51 PM
dhutchison
|
Tourer
Default RE: Is it me, or do fewer people wave now?

ORIGINAL: pittguy

Do people that own the same type of cars/trucks wave to each other?This harley wave thing is finally dying.Thankyou.These same people that wave,wonder how many would stop to help someone along side road? an out of stater?

Actually, yeah Jeep people are worse than bikers. Around here anyway. When I'm driving my Wrangler, two of my fingers stay up more than down. You know how many more of them damn things there are running around than Harley's. LOL

It's interesting to see the responses to my post. I'll have to agree with some though. I'm pretty much to the point that I don't wave unless the other bike waves first. I guess if you pass another guy like that, no one is gonna wave. If I'm on the interstate, which is where a lot more of my riding is now, (I may have just answered my original question) I don't really pay attention to who I pass on the other side of the road. If I'm on a rual back road and pass a couple of bikes, I'll wave. Bike Week or any other kinda rally or regular biker road, not much waving going on.

Old 07-23-2006 | 08:23 PM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: pittguy

Do people that own the same type of cars/trucks wave to each other?This harley wave thing is finally dying.Thankyou.These same people that wave,wonder how many would stop to help someone along side road? an out of stater?

For the most part yes.... Jeep guys will wave at other Jeep guys... Corvette guys mostly do and some Hummer people. I always wave. I don't care what kind of bike you're on, I'll extend my arm and fingers to an oncoming bike. It does seem that as more and more people (whether it be Corvettes or Harleys) start to ride, the less they wave. I guess it's old school and there are a lot more clueless people that continue the tradition.

By cluelesss, I mean people that "own" a Harley but aren't Harley riders.... I noticed guys with C6 Corvettes are like that.... not the traditional Corvette driver that realizes what a great American sportscar he's driving but rather they're driving a car that makes them look cool.

And for those that say sportbike guys own the road, have attitudes, etc ,etc ... not all sportbike riders are like that. Unfortunately, since almost anyone can afford a sportbike, it opens the door for a lot of younger, immature people.

Mark

Old 07-23-2006 | 08:56 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

I haven't had the chance to make any long trips yet, but in the area where I live, most of the people that I meet on the highway still wave. I usually make the first wave, but if somebody doesn't want to, I don't concern myself with it. Just the other day, when I was leaving the house, there was a person riding down the street in a motorized wheelchair and I waved at him, he waved back. I thought that was all right.

Old 07-23-2006 | 09:13 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

I try to wave whenever I can and if it is safe. I have waved in the twisties and on the freeway if the other guy does first. It is just a good thing to do and really doesn't take much effort. If you don't wave back well it's not like I am ever gonna see you again or turn the scoot around to chase you down and ask for an explanation.

Old 07-23-2006 | 09:15 PM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior

I'll wave at all bikes. When I'm driving the Vette, I used to get one wave back outta ten, so I don't even bother with it anymore.

Old 07-23-2006 | 09:43 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: AZ Rider

I don't wave at other bikers. It's tiring, it's unnecessary, and it's overplayed. If they wave at me maybe I'll acknowledge by just raising my fingers on the left grip.

I'm just not into the waving thing. Never have been.

What I'm fascinated by is that so many riders get offended when other don't wave at them. Geez, just ride on and don't worry about it. It's nothing personal. It's just some people aren't into waving at everyone on two wheels. It's hokey. There, I've said it.

"I wave at everyone!" That's great. We'll use you on the next parade float.

Phfft! You're not fooling me. You're just too damn hot!

I'll wave at anything on two wheels. If they don't wave back it's no big deal.

Old 07-23-2006 | 09:46 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dgator66

Hey, if I patent a foam hand that pops out of the saddle bag and waves when you push a button, do yall think folks would buy it? We could market as a safety device. "Keep both hands on the bars with WONDER WAVE". Of course, we could also have the one fingered option for use in emergency situations. Only 49.95, whatcha think?[sm=confused06.gif]
What kind of deal can we get on a package deal?

Old 07-23-2006 | 09:48 PM
GeezerGlider
Cruiser

Waving gets tiring? Bullsh_t. It ain't even a real wave - it's more like you move your hand a few inches down and left of your grip and stick some fingers out. If someone finds that tiring, I'd recommend a weightlifting regimen to cure that weakness......

Wave - it's an acknowledgement of the brotherhood thing. And it ain't that big a deal if they don't. Just means they don't get it.

Old 07-24-2006 | 12:14 AM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior

I quit that waving bs back in 79. I got better things to do. Like watching out ahead of me. Brother hood my asse.
How many of you waving cry babies would bother to say helo in person??? as like i was just sitting at the Hd shop, Is the only time you can say hi , is with your fingers while riding?????? Now shut the fk up and ride. [8D]

Old 07-24-2006 | 12:22 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain

I agree, its just a brotherhood thing.....and we know the dangers of riding, its not a big thing to wave a fellow biker...it is sure respected in my way of thinking!

Ride Safe!
[quotI agree]ORIGINAL: GeezerGlider

Waving gets tiring? Bullsh_t. It ain't even a real wave - it's more like you move your hand a few inches down and left of your grip and stick some fingers out. If someone finds that tiring, I'd recommend a weightlifting regimen to cure that weakness......

Wave - it's an acknowledgement of the brotherhood thing. And it ain't that big a deal if they don't. Just means they don't get it.
[/quote]

Quick Reply: Is it me, or do fewer people wave now?