General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will 6 degree triple trees lower the front end of my bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:20 PM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is always at least one custom chopper on his lifts when i stop in for a beer.....he makes his own frames from round bar....the style you see on american chopper.....his bikes are in the 50k range so i would assume he knows what he's doing....I assume....lol

Old 01-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With "that" info, you are GTG, NO DOUBT.

Pics, DON'T forget, pics, JB.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:30 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a set of 3 degree trees one of my Sportsters and the back is lowered a lot which brought back a lot of the trail and it rides great.
However 6 Degrees, you could be fliring with disaster on a stock frame.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo
There is always at least one custom chopper on his lifts when i stop in for a beer.....he makes his own frames from round bar....the style you see on american chopper.....his bikes are in the 50k range so i would assume he knows what he's doing....I assume....lol
***-U-ME. Do the math and figure out the trail. The wobble is not fun. With a bit of luck you get the bike stopped. With a little less luck you go sliding down the road leaving chunks of hide, a bit of an ear, and maybe grind a knuckle or two down a wee mite. Less luck than that and the bike literally tosses you off like a 8 year old brother tossing his sister's Raggedy Andy doll out the car window, and someone comes and watches you bleed to death from all the bones poking holes in your hide.

Raked trees are normally used to correct for too much trail when the frame is raked. The frame rake, the front wheel/tire size, the tree offset, and the length of the tubes all come into play. Heck, you can get into trouble by changing the size of the back tire! That's why none of us can say, "Your trail will be x inches" without knowing all the details, and doing the measurements/math. Way too many variables. If your indy sez it's good, ask for the numbers - "What's the trail gonna be?" Do not be satisfied with anything except reality, and especially not the "I've done this and it's all good" shinola.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master

Sounds like you want a Softail Standard to me.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:00 PM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master

Originally Posted by WWECOUGAR
Sounds like you want a Softail Standard to me.
I do want a bit more angle on my front end....I fell into this deal on my bike....traded a car that i only had $3800 into for it. Now i wanna make it mine with a few custom touches.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:11 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Try 3 degree cups with 3 degree trees. That will give you a total of 6 degrees over stock, but the handling will be really close to stock. You can figure the fork tube length during mock-up by setting the frame at the height you want, and using a piece of conduit, broomstick, etc. to simulate the tubes, and using the wheel/tire combo. No surprises that way.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:38 AM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master

Originally Posted by pococj
Try 3 degree cups with 3 degree trees. That will give you a total of 6 degrees over stock, but the handling will be really close to stock. You can figure the fork tube length during mock-up by setting the frame at the height you want, and using a piece of conduit, broomstick, etc. to simulate the tubes, and using the wheel/tire combo. No surprises that way.
thats the first time i have heard about cups....i looked it up online and feel a bit more educated about what items to discuss with my mechanic...thanks for the input