Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike for woman

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:17 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

My wifes first bike was a Sportster. She owned it from April to November. Now she has a Heritage (although she hasn't been able to ride it except for a trip around the block on Nov 28th). Thank goodness for the full MSRP buyback deal she got with the Sportster, didn't hurt too bad to make the trade.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:48 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,511 Likes on 5,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Shovelhead nick
hey guys, my mom (48 years old) is looking to get a bike. My pops has a 2001 Indian and i just got my 78 shovelhead this past september. My mom took the motorcycle class and she pretty much grew up on dirtbikes and small street bikes her whole life. Now that me and my dad have our own bike, she is sick of sitting on the back and she wants her own.

she wants a small sportster 883, but my dad doesn't want to buy a sportster for some reason, he wants something bigger and something that will be worth more money on resale.

anyway... what kinda bike do you think will be a good "starter" bike but big enough that me or my pops can ride it whenever we wanted haha
read your post and no one elses get her the 883 Sportie as it's the girlie bike of all HD's

Old 01-24-2010, 08:54 PM
bikermama
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Softail fatboy lo, its perfect!!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ULTRA
Softail Deluxe seems to be a good match depending on her size.
My neighbor is a little bitty thing and she bought one of these and had it lowered before it left the dealer (not sure if HD offered something or after market). I rode it and don't see how there could be a better bike for a smaller person and with an eye on worth down the road.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Choosing a bike for a male or female is pretty much the same. Due to our differences in size, shape and weight there are ways to compensate. A stock bike may need to be tweeked a bit to fit her properly. It might not necessarily be the optimum right off from the start. All she needs to do is choose one.

Buying a sporty just because it's a lighter bike is not always the best choice. Just because she's a woman, doesn't necessarily mean THAT is the only choice. There are many things to consider and options and choices to be made. Lower, narrower seat; frame lowering kit (to shorted the distance from the seat to the ground); smaller windshield, easy grip clutch, etc. Motorcycles are meant to be custom fit (so to speak). We don't all fit them right from the start.

What ever she chooses, will perhaps intimidate a little bit. Doesn't even matter, about the model at that point. It is to be expected. Considering a lower, heavier bike has a better center of gravity (IE Heritage, Deluxe or Fatboy) while a lighter bike like a sporty sounds like it should be easier to maneuver and for slow cornering. Personally, I find the softails easier and more stable to drive, especially on the highway where there is wind resistance from passing trucks. It all comes down to personal choice. It's all a matter of what you get used to. Any skill is difficult when we first start. Just look at how quickly a small child can master the ability to walk and talk ... Same goes with riding a bike. It only takes time and practice.

Best of luck to her, on what ever she chooses!

Last edited by bikergirl40; 01-24-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:35 PM
georgemcghee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wife started on a softail custom now she has a heritage and she likes it alot more than she did the custom

Old 01-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Haywired
Road Master

My friends wife has a Street Glide and handles it very well. As others have said, try out everything out there before making a decision and then not being happy with it. It's very cool that your mom rides... Good Luck!

Old 01-25-2010, 12:16 AM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum

+1 on taking her shopping and have her try them out and see what she likes best. My first HD was a Low Rider and I loved it. I had no problem riding my brother-in-law's Softail Deuce. (unfortunately, they don't make either of these anymore.)

My dealer does a lot of marketing the Street Bob to women due to the lower center of gravity. And a lot of women like the Deluxe. So, she really does have to try them out and pick what she likes.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:24 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Something with a very low center of gravity, and low to the ground, so she can safely plant both feet flat footed while sitting on the bike. Don't restrict your shopping to Harley. There's some screamin' deals on other models out there that meet the requirement to start riding. After she's comfortable, and really feels like she's ready, then step up to say a Softail Deluxe or any of the other low riding Harley's. You can pick up a bike cheap, let her feel good about her riding skills, and she won't be worried in the early stages of dropping it and costing a bunch to repair. As an example, Honda 250 Rebels are pretty reasonable, and offer a great platform for learning.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 AM
MonsterRK09
Advanced

Deluxe, Seems like a very woman friendly bike...

Quick Reply: bike for woman