General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First one on a bike crash tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:17 PM
PNSHVL
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First one on a bike crash tonight!

My family and I coming home from dinner tonight and find a bike crashed on the side of an overpass. My 17 year old son and I jump out of the truck and run over to the guy. He's riding a old 750 Honda which is laying on his legs holding him down on the ground. We pick up the bike and I tell the guy to stay down, he has a full face helmet and leather jacket with jeans that are ripped up at the knees. He took the corner too fast which happened to be a overpass over rail road tracks and hit the Jersey barrier on the right. So I tell my GF to call 911 cause I think the guy is hurt bad. He gets up and takes his helmet off, he dosn't want the cops or a ambulance showing up. (Been drinking, big suprise!) I push his bike down the road,(it's wrecked and not rideable) he wants me to put it in a parking garage for him and hide it. No big deal, then he asks me to take him to the hospital which is about six blocks away cause he thinks his collar bone is broke. So I drove him there and dropped him off at the emergency room. Hope he learned his lesson about drinking and riding! My girlfriend was still upset when we got home by seeing the bike wreck and the guy laying there. Probally didn't help that her and I were on my bike this afternoon and rode about 100 miles.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

Any idea how many WAC's you broke, not to mention at least one felony/

Old 01-23-2010, 11:37 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice of you to help.......... but I would not have assisted with the "get away".

The dumb *** drinking rider will probably just do it again.

He got away with it, no lesson learned there.

Not to mention, what did you just teach your son?

Just my opinion.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:45 PM
PNSHVL
Tourer

Hmmm, next time I guess I should just drive by and leave him there. As far as what I taught my son was stop and help his fellow man. Who the hell am I to judge somebody for drinking and ridng!

Old 01-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Terrific Pacific
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ashmarc
Very nice of you to help.......... but I would not have assisted with the "get away".

The dumb *** drinking rider will probably just do it again.

He got away with it, no lesson learned there.

Not to mention, what did you just teach your son?

Just my opinion.
Don't get uptight and not hear what this guy is telling you.
Better talk to your son too......

Old 01-23-2010, 11:49 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't trying to offend you.

I think that stopping was a great thing to do, getting someone "off the hook" for a DUI.......not so much.

You posted this in an open forum and I just gave my opinion.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:50 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

to clarify, help the guy, call 911 and wait. doing that doesn't break any laws, what you did, does.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:08 AM
damnitbadger
6th Gear

Good for you! You helped a guy out when he needed it. He learned a lesson, of that you can be sure. To involve the law was his call not yours. You gave aid and assistance.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:10 AM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Not saying that anything will happen but you opened yourself up for some serious liability issues....I'd have probably done the same thing as you did.

Paul in Colorado

Old 01-24-2010, 12:19 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

good on you man.

you stopped and helped.

you're not the police (maybe you are, i dono) so it's not really your job to probe into what the guy was doing before he crashed.

and for what it's worth to all the self-righteous posters in here...

the OP dropped the fallen rider off at the hospital for a potentially broken bone. guy walks in with riding leathers on, a helmet under his arm, and sayin he may or may not have broken his collar bone...smart money says there's a full blood work-up being done and however many drinks he had will stand up and be accounted for.

just because the cops didn't get him for drinking and riding, doesn't mean he's going to get off scot-free.

besides OP...if the cops ever do come a-knockin' your story reads out like this:

saw the rider down with the bike on top of him. he asked if i could please park his bike for him so it doesn't sit out all night and he can look it over tomorrow...then he asked if i could drive him to the hospital as he obviously couldn't ride. he never mentioned drinking, and i never thought to ask, i was just helping a fellow rider.

Quick Reply: First one on a bike crash tonight!