General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maryland to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:49 PM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Maryland to Sturgis

OK heading to Strugis for the first time... Looking for a camping place that is kind of quiet. Going to enjoy the roads and rides,, little drinken but mostly the ride... Any help or hints would be appreciated..

Old 01-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sturgis '72, was my first trip.
Over the decades, camped from city park (original campgrounds !!!!), to a religious campground to the Chip to a loggin' road.
Now we camp at Katmandu. http://www.katmanducampground.com/

Here is what we 'like' about it.

2 miles S of Sturgis, on I90. Super easy on and off. You can go N/W or S/E. Going N/W, you can go INTO Sturgis, or blow right past.

I take my work van out there, with all my tools in it, so I NEED my rig, at my campsite. NO PROB.

"Decent" beer garden, and they have music there. NOT Aerosmith, BUT music.
GREAT chow !!! And the coffee pot is ALWAYS on at the cook shack.

They have a shuttle bus, that will take you right downtown, and then bring you back, IF you are a bit 'sauced'. BUT it makes getting into downtown, a breeze, vs the "parking lot, creep and beep, approach".

There are li'l "groups" partying, BUT good sleeping conditions. People are VERY RESPECTFUL. Quiets down.

NOT a lot of shade. BUT the hills on the east side of 90, block the sun "early" in the morn, and the ones behind ya, block it in late afternoon. I use a 10x10 awning for shade, if we are in 'camp' all day.

NOW, if you do not plan to hit Sturgis, that much, then further down the "slab", are some dandy campgrounds, with even better facilities, etc. Elk View comes to mind. They are closer to Rapid.

And IF you are into the Thunder Roads, Full Throttle, and concert stuff, then look on the East side. Glencoe is "middle age" mat'l. and gets a bit 'risque'. Buffalo Chip, is PARTY Central, for most.

These are the BIG ones. There are numerous li'l Ma and Pa campgrounds. We choose Katmandu, because we have peeps we've known for years, (N.J., Az, and Pa.) who put their motorhomes, there, now.

If your goal is to cover as much of the Hills, as you can, then contemplate spending 1/2 - 2/3 of your time, Sturgis area, then move camp to Southern end, Custer, Hill City, etc, for the rest of your time. That will save you some saddle time in the morn, and enhance your 'touring' time. Plus, if you do that, you'll already be 'on your way' home, so to speak.

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 01-23-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:16 PM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The City of Spearfish Campground is quite and has lots of shade. They have decent shower houses and a place in the park to get a hot breakfast.

http://www.spearfishparksandrec.com/...und/index.html

Old 01-23-2010, 09:16 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Stayed here in 08, Great place to stay,15 minutes from town......fairly quiet compared to the famous ones http://www.shadevalley.com/index.html and plenty of shade

Old 01-23-2010, 09:25 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out Hog Heaven. Never been, but gets great reviews and know people that stayed there and loved it.

http://www.hogheavencampground.com/index.html

Old 01-24-2010, 12:42 AM
whiskeyrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 326 Likes on 149 Posts

Two that come to mind are bear butte creek and lampher. I stay at bear butte, decent food,has a small bar and bands that quit at 12:30. Don't know much about lampher, have friends that stay there and like it very much. Both are out in the area of full throttle and buffalo chip. Hope this helps and hope you get to make the trip,WR.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you like quiet, I suggest a KOA Campground in either Rapid City or Deadwood,

A KOA is most likely the quietest of all the campgrounds mentioned. I like to hit the usual party spots, but when I want to sleep, I want quiet,

I like the fact that they have a swimming pool at each campground. Last time I was at Sturgis and it climbed to 100 degrees, that pool was a luxury!!!

At Rapid City in 2004 they had a free pancake breakfast each morning. Pancakes were free but everything else was a fee,

I am staying at the Deadwood KOA this year for the very reasons you mention in your post,

Da Gumpmeister pretty well spelled out the other options, as well as the other posters

Last edited by ButtMan1000; 01-24-2010 at 12:55 AM.