General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you feel about paying 10% extra for gas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010 | 11:32 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by oct1949
Will.... was U released or graduated.....????
I've read U for a couple yrs now,, but not knowing that much about Ya....

I grad-u-ated in 67, from a Ity-bity-country school here in Mid upper Central Ind that nobody ever herd of.........
Oh he graduated all right. The man is a Scientist and has worked on projects like the Mars Orbiter, ect.......

Old 01-23-2010 | 11:34 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
what the hell is an AFR and what does it have t odo with cooling?

is that soem sort of new adult toy?
Air Fuel Ratio.......

Old 01-23-2010 | 11:35 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

My bikes get 47 mpg with a slightly richer mix than stock. I pretty sure it's much better than most vehicles on the road, except the hybrids, certainly much better than mini-vans or the crossovers being built for the "nose in the air" old farts.

Old 01-23-2010 | 11:37 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by pococj

FI bikes are set up to run stoichiometric AFR from the factory courtesy the EPA, and that isn't an AFR of 13.2, rather a 14.7 ratio. And to produce maximum power there are two ratios for gasoline: Gasoline max power rich is 12.5, and max power lean is about 13.2. An air cooled engine will run cooler and, all other things equal, will last longer at the rich end. So if you're at 13.2 then you are in the max power lean area. If you lean it further you will lose power.
Man I was just about to say that!

Old 01-23-2010 | 12:02 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Originally Posted by oct1949
Quite a bit.... read up on it and U'll see..
One of the many benefits of doing stg1 , it also will help cool her down a little.
oh i know just pokin fun at the original post, i run mine on the rich side of things

Old 01-23-2010 | 12:21 PM
newbiker
|
Cruiser

FI bikes are set up to run stoichiometric AFR from the factory courtesy the EPA, and that isn't an AFR of 13.2, rather a 14.7 ratio. And to produce maximum power there are two ratios for gasoline: Gasoline max power rich is 12.5, and max power lean is about 13.2. An air cooled engine will run cooler and, all other things equal, will last longer at the rich end. So if you're at 13.2 then you are in the max power lean area. If you lean it further you will lose power. One consequence of having less power is that the rider will tend to compensate by using more throttle to achieve the desired results. Guess what - that means he burns more fuel for the same result, which might be seen as wasting gas, eh?

As far as the Porsche design team - Why not avail yourself of their expertise, rather than re-invent the wheel?

Finally, HD IS air-cooled. The looks, the sound, the timeless and classic appeal is what they sell. If you don't like that why not keep it to yourself, rather than tossing out an opinion reeking of that which stains your skivvies? If you don't understand that appeal then a polite question would get good results. Instead, we have another nose-in-the-air-water-cooled-is-the-**** thread.
I have no idea about my bikes AFR because engine doesn't have O2 sensor. Water cooled twins don't look different if radiator is black and between front frame tubes.

Old 01-23-2010 | 12:33 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by newbiker
I have no idea about my bikes AFR because engine doesn't have O2 sensor. Water cooled twins don't look different if radiator is black and between front frame tubes.
So if you don't know what your bike's AFR is, why your OP?

Water-cooled looks different, black radiator or not. Kinda hard to miss that big ol' honkin' radiator, no matter where they try hiding it. Then there's the water pump, hoses, etc. Cylinders have to be larger to allow for the water jacket/cooling passages, too.

Look, if'n you want a water-cooled bike, good for you. Why not just let that thought sink in and enjoy this joint for what it is?

Old 01-23-2010 | 12:36 PM
MilesJ
Road Master

So you don't know what the Harley runs for AFR yet you start your first post spouting off about it? wow what a surprise. Another misinformed person arguing something they know nothing about.

If you want a water cooled bike go buy one and quit irritating everybody. I bought my bike because i like it the way it is thanks.

Old 01-23-2010 | 01:05 PM
NEVETTE
Cruiser

Code:
NEWBIKER, WHY IN THE WORLD DID YOU COME ON HERE AND START THIS DIVEL. JUST TRADE IN YOUR ULTRA FOR A WATER COOLED BIKE AND BE DONE WITH IT!!!

Old 01-23-2010 | 11:45 PM
newbiker
|
Cruiser

So if you don't know what your bike's AFR is, why your OP?

Water-cooled looks different, black radiator or not. Kinda hard to miss that big ol' honkin' radiator, no matter where they try hiding it. Then there's the water pump, hoses, etc. Cylinders have to be larger to allow for the water jacket/cooling passages, too.

Look, if'n you want a water-cooled bike, good for you. Why not just let that thought sink in and enjoy this joint for what it is?
Harleys will be water cooled soon because of global warming...

Quick Reply: How do you feel about paying 10% extra for gas?