General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas quality and different companies

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:37 PM
mchaous
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas quality and different companies

For those of you that have Arco or BP in your area. I was wondering what you oppinion of there Reformulated Fuels are. I have heard over the years that Arco's Reformulated Fuels are dirty and that they leave more deposits in the engine then any other companies fuel. There may be other companies that use the same formula I'm not sure.

Here in Washington State Arco is almost always lower in cost per gal then any other company. I've heard it is becuase they use the oil from Alaska and that for some reason that is not as good a grade?

Are these just myths or is there something to it. I also notice that Arco almost always uses a single line at there pumps for different grades. I would rather use the multi line stations because mostly regular is used by cars and of course I use premium in my bike. What is left in the line from the guy before is usually regular.

Comments anyone?

Old 07-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gas quality and different companies

I'm anxious to hear this too. I use BP, which is more expensive, because the one i use has 93 octaine, not all BP's have it. Funny thing, ford in their owners manuals and their gas caps recomends BP both gas and diesel. I took that as a benefit to the vehicle's engine and hopefully not just a paid advertisement. Since i hoped that it was good quality i use in the bike as well.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Pathfinder
Cruiser

From what I recently experienced traveling through Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota, be grateful that you can get 93 octane from anybody! I have never seen premium at 90 octane. Obviously we went through a lot of octane boost. I actually thought that there must have been a law up there banning higher octane gas. You know, tree huggers and all.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Most, if not all the fuel distributed throughout the Pacific Northwest is refined in Anacortes Washington from Alaskan crude. The differences in fuel qualities stem from the additives introduced into the fuel before it is shipped to the stations. ARCO gas is a lower quality because of the amount of ethanol used in their additive package. Ethanol burns cleaner and hotter than gasoline reducing emissions. The majority of "summer" (known as Oxygenated fuel) fuel has, at least, 10% ethanol added to reduce hydrocarbon emissions (mandated by the EPA). I'm not sure what percentage ARCO is, but I am positive it is considerably higher than other brands. I will not burn ARCO gas in my HD because of the amount of ethanol added. It is difficult enough keeping an air cooled bike cool in the summer time and adding ethanol (alcohol) just increases the combustion temperature resulting in a higher engine oil temperature.
You will also notice that your gas mileage will decrease burning ARCO gas, this is do to the amount of ethanol in the fuel. In other words, you get what you pay for. I would prefer to use a higher quality fuel and get more miles per gallon. In Western Washington, I have found that CITGO premium (92 octane) runs better in my HD than any other fuel. CITGO is not as cheap as ARCO, but is usually less than Cheveron, BP, or Shell.
On the other hand, most modern economy cars are designed to run on ethanol gas mix up to E85 (85% ethanol). The closed loop fuel injection systems used on these cars is capable of adjusting to the ethanol fuel maintaining engine performance. I would like to see Harley-Davison expand their closed loop EFI system to allow their bikes to run on E85 or straight ethanol, that way one gas becomes too scarce or too expensive to purchase, we can continue riding using ethanol.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:20 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard it is becuase they use the oil from Alaska and that for some reason that is not as good a grade?
Nothing personal, but I have to call "BULLSH!T !!" on this one.

Alaska crude is not a low sulphur crude like Saudi, or even Pennsylvannia State but that difference goes away once it hits the refinery.

The output of the refinery and the subsequent quality of the product is controlled by the refinery based on the process and additives mixed in.

The refinery will blend its product based on the market and location where it is being sold. There is a difference from region to region due to variations in local emissions laws.

Availability of a particular octane rating or blend is also dictated by regional environmental and market conditions. You will not find find any octane above 90 in Alaska. But 90 burns just fine in my HD.

So trying to lay the blame on "dirty Alaska crude" for a poor product from the refinery just don't fly.

Like I said, nothing personal.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:26 PM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior

Use BP (Amoco) 93 here in KY. I prefer going to the stations that have 87/89/93 on seperate hoses so I don't get someone elses left over 87 octane. If not near a BP I prefer Chevron or Shell.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:05 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've lived and worked in almost all parts of the country except for the Northeastern States. I have used all of the major brands of fuel in a car or truck and a motorcycle.

These are my personal favorite fuels in order of best one first and so on.

1. Exxon
2. BP
3. Shell
4. Chevron
5. Texaco
6. Conoco
7. Union 76
8. Mobil

Generally speaking, if there are no major differences in fuel, I'll try to buy American.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:22 PM
rj164
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked, the local service dept on this question a while back, Here in So Calif, we been told to use chevon gas and a second is 76, stay away if you can from the rest as it's the amount of water in the gas, I was told this is only in Calif and Fla, it's would be ok to use any type of gas, as long it's high octane gas in the other states, and of course here Cheven is one of the highest price gas.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:36 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some things to consider when you gas up:

Is it a busy station so that the stock turns over on a regular basis or has it been sitting there for a few months?

Did they just get a shipment thus now the crud on the bottom of the tanks has been stirred up waiting for you to put it in your tank?

Where do they get their fuel? How is it handled and stored? What is the condition of the tankers hauling it?

Are the fill caps on the underground tanks located so that rain and snow melt can get into the tanks?

All of these will have a direct impact on the quality of the product you just purchased.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:16 PM
pvglide
Advanced

Also FYI --- The "Law " states, that a name brand company(ie Mobil) only has to sell it's own product for 3 days out of a calander month. So don't be surprized when you see a plain unmarked tanker filling up your favorite gas stations tanks. (usually during the wee hours). OF course a FEW companies sell their own product most all of the time. Around here (Long Island) I think Sunoco is the one to go with. (For preimum )--- BUT Your not always getting what You might think Your getting. Funny what the Govt. lets big business get away with, isin't it ? Pat

Quick Reply: Gas quality and different companies