General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas quality and different companies

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:04 PM
mchaous
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas quality and different companies

There's nothing to get personal about. As I said and asked if this was a myth! What I am really concerned about is what you actually get at the pump. Is it all the same or is it different. I will say having traveled to many countries that we seem to have a more consistant supply with regards to quality. I've been in countries where the government doesn't do a very good job of regulating quality of there product. There stations can very quite a lot and the consumer suffers for it. Bad Gas is common in those places....[:'(]

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

I've heard it is becuase they use the oil from Alaska and that for some reason that is not as good a grade?
Nothing personal, but I have to call "BULLSH!T !!" on this one.

Alaska crude is not a low sulphur crude like Saudi, or even Pennsylvannia State but that difference goes away once it hits the refinery.

The output of the refinery and the subsequent quality of the product is controlled by the refinery based on the process and additives mixed in.

The refinery will blend its product based on the market and location where it is being sold. There is a difference from region to region due to variations in local emissions laws.

Availability of a particular octane rating or blend is also dictated by regional environmental and market conditions. You will not find find any octane above 90 in Alaska. But 90 burns just fine in my HD.

So trying to lay the blame on "dirty Alaska crude" for a poor product from the refinery just don't fly.

Like I said, nothing personal.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:55 PM
06fxstbi
Advanced

I prefer BP, never had any problems with performance.

I frequently ride with a group of five bikes.

2 Bigdogs with 107s, 1 Dyna 88, and two Softail 88s and we all stop at BP to refuel on our trips.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:28 PM
raftgyde
Road Master

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

Some things to consider when you gas up:

Is it a busy station so that the stock turns over on a regular basis or has it been sitting there for a few months?

Did they just get a shipment thus now the crud on the bottom of the tanks has been stirred up waiting for you to put it in your tank?

Where do they get their fuel? How is it handled and stored? What is the condition of the tankers hauling it?

Are the fill caps on the underground tanks located so that rain and snow melt can get into the tanks?

All of these will have a direct impact on the quality of the product you just purchased.
Another thing to consider: Are the stations tanks above ground or below ground? I used to work at a truckstop with 6 huge tanks above ground. They *never* had any problem with water in the fuel.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer

Most stations here in Peoria IL have three choices: 87 , 89, and 93 octane, with each being 10 cents higher than the previous. All the stations have 10% ethanol added. One of the popular discount chains (Hucks) has 87 and 90. Their 90 is priced 5-6 cents above the 87. I usually burn about 30 gallons per month, so the extra dime or two is no big deal. But in a lot of the smaller communities here, Hucks is the only brand available. A few months ago I was stuck and used their 90. It ran just fine. Now I use it all the time, and the machine still runs just perfect, and there is no fouling on the plugs either.

Most of the branded stations have generic fuel, and you may be getting the same fuel from several differently branded stations. The no-brand-name tanker is very common! Gasoline is treated commercially as a fungible product, i.e. no difference in brands. The only thing you need to concern yourself with is the possibility of water in the fuel, and that has nothing to do with brand. And since the introduction of ethanol, water in the fuel is almost unheard of. (Ethanol absorbs water). Stirring up the dirt in the bottom of the tank? That's why we have a fuel filter. There is no way you can know whether the crud is stirred up or not.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:43 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

There was a time years ago when different brands performed differently in my Harleys. We always bought Chevron or Shell because they ran the best, with good starting characteristics and no detonation.

Just returned from a trip to Canada and used gas from whatever sources were available where we were at the time. I didn't notice and differences at all. Even had one tank of Union 76's 10% ethanol gas. I checked the spark plugs when I got back and they were in great shape.

Around here, I use whatever Costco is pumping or Albertson's Express, with no problems at all.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:46 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

In SoCal I haven't seen BP. Used to use Arco mostly, though I was told it will wear out gaskets. It must have; happened on two cars, but haven't had the problem since I stopped using it. Anyway I get a 5% discount at most other stations from my credit card.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:49 AM
TRITON
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cutacros

Not to pee in your wheaties, but your first and last choices are the same company. As far as buying American, doesn't BP stand for British Petroleum?

ORIGINAL: cutacroshorty

I've lived and worked in almost all parts of the country except for the Northeastern States. I have used all of the major brands of fuel in a car or truck and a motorcycle.

These are my personal favorite fuels in order of best one first and so on.

1. Exxon
2. BP
3. Shell
4. Chevron
5. Texaco
6. Conoco
7. Union 76
8. Mobil

Generally speaking, if there are no major differences in fuel, I'll try to buy American.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:03 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain

I wish a Gas Hauler would give us the real truth on this forum!!

Let me tell you what I was told by a Hauler that I know! I live in So Cali ( wish I didn't ) I can't stand it here!!!!

I do know with Out Any DOUBT that the fuel flows in One Line From LA to San Diego to a fuel Farm in Mission Valley Cali. With that known....The Hauler for what ever Gas Company they Deliver for!....ONLY Has to put one yes 1 ounce for every Thousand Gallons of Fuel they load on there Rig!

And they call it there own!

Prove me Wrong!

Ride Safe!

Old 07-22-2006, 07:10 AM
Mr.Gremlin
Advanced

All I know is when I was hauling fuel in Reno all the fuel came from the same tank farm. You would see Shell and other big names in line with the little guy. A company orders there fuel from the manufacter by so many gallons, barrels or what have you. Said amount is put in the line. But thats not the fuel they get. It's all bulk and the only difference is in additives added at the tank farms. I know I could have worded better but the basic point is fuel is fuel. On the other hand, the stations are the biggest threat to fuel quality as already stated. Some will gripe at me but I run reg year round. No loss of power, no fouling of the plugs , no pings and still average 50 to the gallon. And that aint going the speed limit either. May just be lucky but never had a prob with anyones gas in Nevada. Except for the price.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:03 AM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brings up something I never thought about - poorer gas mileage in the summer may be linked to the different gas blend. Has anyone else seen a couple - three MPG less in the summer? I've been blaming it on the Stage 1 / Dyno - maybe it's the gas,