General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Membership to H.O.G

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 04:35 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't under stand why you "HAVE" to join nat hog ,in order to join your local chapter. Seems like harley will suck every dollar they can out of you.,,

Old 01-22-2010, 06:34 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,253 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I used to keep mine up for the Enthusiast magazine but didn't renew after they combined it with HOG. I miss the book that gives all the dealer locations as I travel all over the U.S. and Canada in my work but I think the old one will be OK for a while unless a bunch more stores go under.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by purdyman
I became a member two years ago - and decided last year I would take a trip for me of a lifetime (15k - 5 weeks) - Toured from Ontario, Canada down to Mrytle Beach for the opeining spring rally - not a lot going on outside of police everywhere - talk about aggrevation - so moved along south to the keys and headed across the bottom and up to Nebraska to catch the next HOG get together - Very dissapointed - you would have thought a guy fellow HOG member would be welcomed - Not a F .... chance.

Went inside the hotel - talked to a few people, one lady I spoke to said sure you can buy a hat - great $8.00 travelled this far - I ll take it momento - NO way - fellow Chapter Leader spoke up - sorry bud you gotta pay to register first ( $30.00) then yu can buy it for 8.00 otherwise 20.00 bucks, that did not sit well - so carried on over to Grand Canyon did my stint on the way back catch the Arkansas HOG Rally - Same **** different day. Packed up my **** - thanked them for their time and came back to Canada ..

- Why is it that HOG chapters do not welcome other riders who have travelled half way across the continent - I thought we were brothers - We all ride a harley regardless of year - hell you have to own one to buy the patch and everything else - mine is an 07 Ultra done to he nines but regardless it is the attitude that just cranks me - Back home I keep my membership because I am active within my Chapter, and for me at least I can find a familiar face or call a bud up and go for a ride. my local chapter is great - meetings are productive etc. but man...

I must say though if you travel a great distance for HOG Events - it is not worth it!
You get S.F.all because of it. If you want to say you made it there - all the power to you.

I dropped my membership. Don't need the map or the magazines/sales pitch. I don't like to ride with allot of rules. I don't wear patches....or photograph every 'town-sign' I see that starts with a different letter. Like has been said before, HOG may be for some, but not me.
(I will still wave).

chuck the mensh

Old 01-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Harlie Rider
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts

I trade every year, so I get a free membership. When I have to pay, I
will do something else.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:23 AM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the towing. It is a long way between dealers in this part of the world. I did the upgrade.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:20 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I joined HOG in 1983 when it first started, I have seen HOG go from Harley's little control group to a large family of rider that have the same love of the bike they ride. After the first five years, I bought the Life Membership. I never need to pay for my membership ever again. It is well worth the single payment for Life membership.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:07 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am under the impression that after ten years of continuous, fee paid, HOG membership you are (or can be) converted into a Life Member. Again, that is just my impression. I joined up way back when HOG first showed up at the Laughlin River Run in NV and I thought about getting towed out of the desert if I ever broke down going back home to CA. They gave me a pin for signing up and paying for the membership and told me about the discounts on parts. When I got back home (happily without incident) and showed up at the local dealer, I was informed that I still needed to join the local HOG chapter to get the discount. That is kind of misleading to say the least. To have to belong to two different memberships to get a discount is pretty cheesy if you ask me. I do enjoy my local South Bay HOG chapter very much though. Cool people and good rides. I do kind of like the mileage club thing as I ride my bike a bit more than just bar-hopping (not that bar-hopping is a bad thing or anything) and when some pin or patch comes in the mail I usually end up putting it in the pile with everything I have accumulated so far from riding. Nice to have but I don’t lose any sleep over it. I guess over all, and after all the years, I would rather be in than out of HOG. But that’s just me.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:29 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ON the subject I've just bought my 4th new harley. the other three I got a free 1 year membership. on this one it wasn't even mentioned at the dealership. Do they still do that? My last new bike was in 05. JUst wondering.
I would like to have a new HOG map with all the dealerships in it.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:18 AM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let it expire, then in a couple of months they will send you a special offer of 2 yr for the price of one.

I let mine expire last year, then after some time passed, in comes this offer for reduced price subscription renewal. I sent back my "offer of renewal" of 3 years for the price of one. Back came their answer in a nice letter---NO, but, they would keep my name in file. So, I am still waiting....For me all I was interested in was the magazine subscription, But, for the few issues they sent me, I couldn't see paying their price for renewal.

My suggestion to anyone wanting to renew, is to wait for it to expire, then take them up on their special offer. They won't deal off that special offer----YET!

Old 01-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XLCR4GM
I am under the impression that after ten years of continuous, fee paid, HOG membership you are (or can be) converted into a Life Member........
They gave me a pin for signing up and paying for the membership and told me about the discounts on parts.
On the first part, the regular membership is Not changed automaticly to Life. You will need to pay to convert it. If you don't, you will continue to pay year to year.
On the Discount thing, it is up to the local dealer. Some give a discount to any HOG member. Some require you to be a member of the local chapter. And some don't offer any kind of membership to any HOG member, no mater if National, or local. Even to the chapter they sponsor.
Originally Posted by hardwork2
ON the subject I've just bought my 4th new harley. the other three I got a free 1 year membership. on this one it wasn't even mentioned at the dealership. Do they still do that? My last new bike was in 05. JUst wondering.
I would like to have a new HOG map with all the dealerships in it.
If the salesman didn't ask, or perform the paperwork to submit to HOG, you will end up with two memberships. If you are a Life member, you will again have two.

If you buy a new Unregistered Harley and the paperwork is submitted to HOG showing you are already a HOG member, your membership will be extended one year. If you are a Life member, and the paperwork is submitted, you will be issued a certificate good at HOG for merchandise.

If I were you, I would call HOG (1-800-CLUB HOG) and check it they did the paperwork.

Quick Reply: 2010 Membership to H.O.G