General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Would you pitch a tent at a Rest Area?
13.48%
I would never pitch a tent at a Rest Area!
86.52%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Camping at Rest Areas.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Camping at Rest Areas.

Wow, now that's scary

Old 07-21-2006, 01:44 PM
eddybo69
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could sleep anywhere without the wife......but there is no way with the wife. Even though I am always carrying whether legal or not, I wouldnt do it.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:53 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would never take the chance. Too many scarry things happen in rest areas. The sniper and his apprentice that were shoting thru a hole in their trunk was captured in a rest area.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:56 PM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rest area's are among the most dangerous places to stay. I have asked my wife not to even stop at remote rest area's during the daytime. Talk to law enforcement and they will tell you the same thing.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What's the reason for camping at the rest area anyway? Doesn't sound like too much fun. I can only see it making any sense if you want to blast through to where ever you are going and just need to pull over for some shut-eye when you get tired.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:01 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[rant][:@]
The frickin' tourists that come to Alaska in the summer will stop at any wide spot (and sometimes not so wide) in the road.

I have seen people setting up camp at the slow traffic pull outs, rest areas, etc. just to avoid paying for camping at state and private campgrounds.

If it's "tourist season" why can't we shoot them?

[/rant][:@]

OK, I feel much better now.

To answer the question, it would depend on the rest area, its location, and the amount of traffic on the highway.

A lot of the country I travel requires you give thought to bears. Blackies and Grizz. Most rest areas have a trash problem that could lead to a furry encounter of the not pleasant kind.

Since you plan to be part of a larger group, there is safety in numbers to a certain extent. So for your trip it would not be that big of a deal except most women folk and quite a few men folk tend to want the amenities such as clean flush toilets, hot water, showers, etc. Lack of said amenities can lead to b!tching from the back seat.

For better harmony you may want to spend every other or every third night at a regular motel. It does not have to be expensive if you have an eye open for the smaller out of the way places. After a night in a rest area or campground any motel will seem like a palace.

Also, overnight stays in most "designated" rest areas in Alaska are not permitted. But I see the huge land barges doing it all the time.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:47 PM
haksaw
Road Master

you guys sound like a bunch of fraidy cats...do you really think you'd be in danger riding with 9 others? Nobody's gonna mess with a crew of 9 bikers.
Personally I don't know WHY they'd pick a rest area to camp or sleep at when there's a ton of other place to pick from (ie. the picture below is along the mississippi river where there was a little trail into the bush, totally secluded, would have made an awesome campsite with a little private beach) but whatever floats your boat i guess. It's one thing to run out of options and have to crash at a rest stop for a couple of hours on or under a table but why would you plan your trip around staying at rest stops? seems weird to me.

if it's legal or not is another story.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:56 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems like convenience is the only advantage of sleeping at a rest stop. I wouldn't think that rest stops would be a good place to camp for someone by themselves.

There are a lot of people in transit and I'm sure opportunist, especially on the Interstate system.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:03 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last time I stopped at a rest area along the Interstate while Outside I took a little stroll thru the grass area.

I noticed that a huge number of travelers have their canine companions with them and let the dogs pretty much do their business where ever they wished.

Step carefully.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:10 PM
billk
Road Master

Like camping in a urinal....not only people pi$$ing all night, but walking their pets...and what area do they use???? Now, multiply by 100 of thousand 'visits' and you will get my picture of vacation unfun, and an area that requires no watering (right where you will put your tent). Stay at a 'regular' campground. I have, in the past, on a MC trip from Denver to Chicago, rolled out the 'bag' and caught a couple of hours at a 'rest area' during our 1k + mile return trip...there were three of us. Noisy...people stopping to empty their (and their pets') bladders and bowels all night. In an emergency, go for it....it will give you something to talk about.

Quick Reply: Camping at Rest Areas.