General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2010 Sportster "48" model

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:22 AM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted earlier that I liked it and I still do, but $10.5k? Wow. Duno about paying that much for a Sportster. I think most would balk at that price. But that's me. After having bikes with poor fuel range, that small tank would be a limitation. Just like the Buells, lots thought they were cool, but how many actually bought one?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:41 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Peanut tank first came out in 1948. It was on a 125cc lightweight called the "S" model, and was the forerunner of the Hummer. This new 48 tank looks way better than the peanut on the Nightster, which is too large aesthetically.

The original Sportster peanut tank was 2.2 gallons. Sounds like this is nearly identical with the fuel pump taking up its bit of space. Strangely enough, many of us ol' farts rode the hell outta Sportsters with that li'l tank, cross-country and all. No big deal most of the time; ya just stopped for gas more often. 'Course, I do remember a coupla times taking a different route 'cause I wasn't sure if I'd make it to the next gas joint. But didja know there's a wee bit of gas in the hoses at a closed station?

Old 01-24-2010, 08:11 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pococj

You quote: "didja know there's a wee bit of gas in the hoses at a closed station?"

That used to work. I'm in CA and the pumps here suck that gas left in the hose back down into the storage tank. I kid you not!

Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by hommes
You quote: "didja know there's a wee bit of gas in the hoses at a closed station?"

That used to work. I'm in CA and the pumps here suck that gas left in the hose back down into the storage tank. I kid you not!
Dang! What's a po' boy to do now-a-days!

Old 01-25-2010, 12:23 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
HD 48

Where'd you get that pic with the Honda license plate set-up?? The site shows the bike with the side mount like the Nightster. I think it's ugly in anything but black since they only change the color of the tiny tank.

It would look killer with a set of fat bob gas tanks on it.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:58 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's a sharp looking bike and other than the $$$, it appears to be geared towards younger riders. As a matter of fact, other than the fat front tire, it looks a lot like my son's 93' Sporty, including the upside down mirrors:

Old 01-25-2010, 08:50 AM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it looks cool, I would not mind one as a bar hopper. Although being 6'2" and 240lbs. I would look like a gorilla on a mini bike.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:10 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I think it looks pretty mean, MSRP $500 more than a Nightster, and an attempt to attract new, younger buyers, pretty good idea. That HD is coming out with any new bikes right now is a good sign...

Tiny gas tank would seem to be a bummer, but I don't think that machine is targetted to people who tour...

Old 01-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it’s cool to have more options for buyers, but it’s not to my taste. It just seems like they’re trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of a Nightster if you ask me…… it’s really creeping into 96” cost once you add color, security, freight….bla, bla, bla….. I’m guessing that was the point. Make something to carry the Sportster line right up to the Dyna entry level.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a good looking bike. I suspect they will sell well to younger buyers interested in HD over a sport bike style.

Too bad I have a 36" inseam and already have a Road King.

Quick Reply: New 2010 Sportster "48" model