General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is painting tins so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 AM
thomaskray
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is painting tins so expensive?

Can someone tell me why it's so expensive to get a bike painted? Been checking around locally at various paint shops and the cheapest price I have found, for just a single solid color is $1000. And that's with me taking everything apart and delivering the tank and two fenders to them.

Why the hell does it cost a grand to paint three tins? All I want is satin black. Not like I'm asking for airbrushing or some complicated candy coat.

$1000.00 seems more like the price to paint a whole car or something.

I don't get it. It doesn't take a freakin picaso to paint one solid color. I'm just gonna do the damn thing myself.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:56 AM
gasol1ne
Cruiser

liquids and materials are very expensive - probably $300 at very least to paint tins. Also facility overhead is pricey at places that have proper spray booths and ovens, etc. Metal prep takes a lot of time. These all apply to really nice paint jobs. You can do a backyard job for a lot less but you'll need to apply a lot more paint so you can sand and buff it down to a real nice finish - in a shadetree mechanic's way of doing things.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Brewers_Fan
Cruiser

I don't know man. I got a quote (for a sporty for the wife, which she doesn't own and can't ride...long story) for a pink paint job and it was $600-700. $1000 seems like a lot. On the other hand, you do get what you pay for.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find out whats included in that 1k. There is a lot of prep and labor involved in really good paint job. There is sanding, primer, more sanding, painting, more sanding, more painting, clear coat...etc. You may be able to do some of the prep yourself which would save some labor time and save some money

Old 01-20-2010, 12:06 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

$1,000.00 does sound really expensive. They are probably quoting you with a clear coat in addition to the color coat, which alot of people don't get on there vehicles. They are also using a top quality brand as well.

I just painted my 86 Blazer in my garage a couple months ago for $120.00 in materials. It was an acrylic enamel paint. Came as a set from ebay with the paint, reducer & hardener. This is the 3rd paint job I have done with this stuff and so far they have all come out great.

I used to always use quality Dupont paints, but this stuff looks just as good.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:07 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Spraying the paint is only part of the job. You could do the prep yourself and have them spray the paint. Or use a rattle can, if done right it is an option.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$1000 is freaking high, i can get show quality full airbrush for that price. i just picked up the materials for doing my tins and $30 for base coat, $35 for clear and hardener, reducer already on hand. i got a guy doing it for me for a case of beer and $50

Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 PM
rocstar50
Cruiser

From what I have learned, everything to do with Harley-Davidson motorcycles is expensive. From initial purchase of the machine, through to servicing, accessories and especially tyres.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:15 PM
gasol1ne
Cruiser

Acrylic Enamel is easy and fun to use. Less expensive than the base coat - clear coat stuff. If I was to seek a H-D quality finish on a tank, two fenders, and one or two other tins, I would expect to pay $2k or more. I heard H-D sold their paint process rights to Mercedes...or rights to use the process. That's how good it is. Prep, paint, materials, labor time, shop time...all very expensive. $2k or more for H-D or show quality, in my opinion. All depends on how you want it to look in the end.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

I paid $2K for mine... That included a new set of tins, shaved rivets, paint, painting time and shipping... You pay for what you get. Would you go to a tattoo artist just because he's cheaper than the other guy? I hope not, I go to who does the best work.

Quick Reply: Why is painting tins so expensive?