General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is painting tins so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:59 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

powdercoat it

Old 01-26-2010, 06:56 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpy old biker
Midniteevil- In our neck of the woods most shops use Dupont or Sikkins. The resto/rod shops mostly use PPG. A good friend, who runs a small rod shop, told me they use PPG mainly because most guys read rod magazines and think they have to have PPG. There must be a reason a majority use Dupont. The shop I worked at for many years looked at changing supplier and after trying all the other major brands stuck with Dupont. When setting up our shop we used several different systems and went back to Dupont. I will admit a big plus is the Dupont rep for our area.
It was a fine product years ago - and is still as fine now. They ARE the #2 automotive paint supplier. As far as the products go, especially in a shop where speed and production are an issue, almost every other paint supplier beats them hands down. When paint companies talk to a shop owner or manager about switching, the quality of the paint is item #5 or #10 on their list. Before that, it's all about "How much are you going to give me?" and "What else will you give me?" and "What else will you do for me" and then "What other free stuff will you throw in with the system."

Certainly the local rep plays a key role in the relationship with the shop. In some areas, it's not uncommon for a paint rep to dump a machine in the shop and they never see him again.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:00 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by JRK5892
MidnitEvil glad you are my go to paint guy ha ha ha almost spring brother almost spring!
Not anywhere soon enough dude.

I had to go meet Freak in Joliet today. Was going to take my bike but didn't because I had to go to St Charles after that for another meeting. I was glad I left the bike home because my Jeep was doing some slipping and sliding, and it was snowing like a bitch most of the way home. The bike would have probably sucked today. I think I'd likely have fallen down a time or two.

Maybe I should pull the tins and paint it now.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 PM
lowridermike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fester1
Price for PPG, Dupont, BASF name brands is pretty much the same regardless of the vehicle and none of them sell for 30 bucks a quart. Even an offbrand like Omni is 40 bucks a quart at Finishmaster (for "Chevy" paint). I aint saying you didn't get paint for 30 bucks. But that price is misleading here.
Its nice you got a buddy and Im sure others have painter friends too, but that wasn't what the op asked.
I just painted my tins with Nason bc/cc. $25 for a pint of base and $35 for a quart of Clear.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:33 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by fester1
Price for PPG, Dupont, BASF name brands is pretty much the same regardless of the vehicle and none of them sell for 30 bucks a quart. Even an offbrand like Omni is 40 bucks a quart at Finishmaster (for "Chevy" paint). I aint saying you didn't get paint for 30 bucks. But that price is misleading here.
Don't know how I missed this one. If you're buying the top line, yeah, probably not going to find it at a jobber for $30 a quart. You don't need the top line product as the cost has a little to do with the product and everything to do with color match documentation and lifetime warranty. In that case, $30 per quart is more than feasible - if it's not red, orange or yellow.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:39 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
I have a question that goes along with this thread...

How many 'average joes' ever enter their bike in a show? Not many, so why does the 'average joe' always want a 'show finish'? Cuz he want's to impress somebody is my guess. I'm more impressed by the guy who can do all the work on his bike, rather than the guy who can afford to have a custom show bike sit in the garage. But I'm not like most people. And, I've seen some pretty fantastic jobs done by what some of you guys would call a 'shade tree'. Where do you think all these different paint styles came from in the first place?

That brings up another point, how many of you guys really want that type of paint on a bike you ride every day? Or, should I say, how many want to ride their custom show bike in the rain, snow, blazing sun, or any other kind of bad weather? Don't answer, you'd prolly lie anyway.

My pride comes from a different place than most I reckon...
Good post, man. My bike had really really nice paint on it when I got it. I proceeded to **** it up over a year and a half. If I repaint it it will be something simple. Got quoted $2600 to redo my paint and that was from a "friend!"

Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 PM
newbiker
Cruiser

I go to dealers, bodyshops and repair shops sometimes and it is funny to hear their estimates. I never pay. Usually as soon as I tell them that I am in car business their estimate drops.
Here is example for you guys, it is not about paint but it is all the same.
I was buying parts from Ford dealer and heard old man got estimate 1300-1400 dollars. I talked to him about his problem. Air bag light was on. I just solved that problem in my car so I offered to help him.
It took me whole day to fix it. It would take dealer mechanic about 30 min.
It took me long time because I had to find a manual which I didn't have, diaghram etc.
How do like that? $1400 for 30 min job?
It is typical! Something like that is going on in body shops. They will keep your car there for 10 days but work on it 3 hours. And they will spend 30 min telling you stories about frozen paint etc.

Last edited by newbiker; 01-27-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 AM
grumpy old biker
Cruiser

Newbiker- Hope you can find a manual and a diagram when some boozo jumps a stop sign and bends your front end a foot to the side. You'll need some tools too, like a Black Hawk frame rack. Price one of those puppies out and ask again why a shop charges what it does. Hope that old guy doesn't hit a pot hole and eat airbag!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM
fester1
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowridermike
I just painted my tins with Nason bc/cc. $25 for a pint of base and $35 for a quart of Clear.

Do the math. 25 a pint is how much a quart? Nason is not a premium brand. It is, like Omni, a budget priced paint (for Dupont) and, according to your pricing, $50 a quart.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:49 AM
fester1
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Don't know how I missed this one. If you're buying the top line, yeah, probably not going to find it at a jobber for $30 a quart. You don't need the top line product as the cost has a little to do with the product and everything to do with color match documentation and lifetime warranty. In that case, $30 per quart is more than feasible - if it's not red, orange or yellow.
Oh God forbid you miss a chance to post and hear yourself talk.
So whats your point? I never said you need top line paint. So you pay $30 a quart. Woohoo. Does that affect the overall cost of painting tins for everyone on this forum? No. It has been established by others here that $1000 is not unreasonable, and that cost of paint itself is but one small percentage of overall cost. Now go ahead and have your last word.

Quick Reply: Why is painting tins so expensive?