General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is painting tins so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:21 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpy old biker
Midnitevil- just a few points. Most major paint suppliers don't sell clears, and primers in quart sizes.
They all make them. Whether or not your local jobber carries them or will bother to order them for you is another issue. One of the benefits in shooting Sherwin-Williams is they are company owned stores. They'll get you whatever they make, and you're getting everything straight from the horse's mouth.

The reason to start from bare metal is mil thickness, the more paint on the surface the easier it will chip and spotting in becomes a real pain in the butt.
That's an excellent point. I suppose one should consider vehicle usage in making that decision - less an issue on a show vehicle. I would say though, going all the way down to bare metal is unnecessary. Taking off the etch primer just to put it back on, taking off the primer just to put it back on... why? Knock off the clear and the base, maybe shoot a coat of primer so you can block it out, base it, clear it.

Most paint products have dropped isocyanates and now use toluene.
Not the clears. They're still all about the isocyanates.

Doing one paint job may or may not harm you. Yes continual exposure is the greatest risk but don't bet the farm that one paint job will not make you sick.
I would make that bet simply because I've sold paint to plenty of guys who are shooting in their garage with no mask, minimal ventilation. I think you'd have to spray it right into your face to get sick from a single paint job.

I made the point to make all aware this is not stuff you fool around with. Proper ventilation and safety equipment is a must. Most DIYers don't have this sort of equipment.
That's an outstanding point. I'm not even sure why paint companies, after all the lawsuits over the years, would even sell to DIY'ers.

As far as which products to use- I've used them all. Each one has it's pluses and minuses. I use Dupont because that's the product I have the most experience with, and find their products work as well as any other.
I think familiarity is the most common reason why painters stick with a paint line. They believe a product works well, simply because they know how to deal with the issues.

"The Chromaclear 7779S flows out glass smooth once you learn how to lay it on..."

Whereas there are clears on the market which go on glass smooth so easily a monkey could almost do it.

In a production environment, DuPont is seriously trailing the pack. In many cases, trying to shoot all similar competing products side-by-side, there isn't a DuPont product that even fits. Where speed is the key, Sherwin-Williams is the king (you can go from bare metal to out the door in less than an hour), PPG, Sikkens and a few others are just about there, and DuPont is somewhere in the 1990's still.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:48 PM
newbiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about bike shops but this is what car body shops do:
If it takes 10 hours to repair a car they charge customer 15-20 and they pay bodyman for 5. This is what my friend professional bodyman told me. Bodyshop is one of the most profitable businesses. Anybody will charge as much as he can regardless of invested labor and material.
If HD sells a bike for 30K it is not because it spent 50 or 70% of that money to manufacture it, it is because there is somebody who will pay.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by newbiker
If it takes 10 hours to repair a car they charge customer 15-20 and they pay bodyman for 5. This is what my friend professional bodyman told me. Bodyshop is one of the most profitable businesses. Anybody will charge as much as he can regardless of invested labor and material.
If HD sells a bike for 30K it is not because it spent 50 or 70% of that money to manufacture it, it is because there is somebody who will pay.
Whatever happened to the flate rate manual, that restricts shops from charging whatever they want???
Ive been told that auto mfg costs are 25% of sticker price and HD's are about $10-11k for big twins and much less for the chicks bikes.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by newbiker
Not even close to correct.

Autobody repair hours are the same as mechanical repairs - there are references for the number of labor hours per job. If the manual says you have 1 hour to repair a fender, the charge is 1 hour. If it takes .5 hours or 4 hours - the shop only gets paid 1 hour. The shop has no discretion on the labor hours.

Yes... the tech gets paid a portion of the labor hours. He doesn't pay for shop supplies, he doesn't help pay the mortgage on the building, he doesn't get hit up to pay the employees who work up front, etc.

it gets even better when the insurance companies get involved. You might write an estimate that totals 10 labor hours. The insurance company might come back and say "We're only going to pay you for 6" (and they ALL cut the labor hours they'll pay)... and the repair takes 12.

Trust me... autobody shops are NOT rolling in the dough. Most of them are hanging on by a thread. The insurance companies see to it they stay that way.

Why do so many people ever only consider the cost of manufacture? Do you really think anyone is making all that much off a Harley?

What about the people who;
- design the bike
- sell the bikes
- advertise the bikes
- ship the bikes
- accountants who make sure everyone gets paid
- everyone who works in the dealer
- etc.

By the time you get done slicing up the pie among everyone who needs to get a piece, no one is getting a significant chunk.
-

Old 01-25-2010, 06:45 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagman1
Whatever happened to the flate rate manual, that restricts shops from charging whatever they want???
Still exists. Shops *can't* charge whatever they want. When insurance companies get involved, shops can't even charge what it cost them to do the job some times.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:57 PM
dabirds1
Advanced

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Still exists. Shops *can't* charge whatever they want. When insurance companies get involved, shops can't even charge what it cost them to do the job some times.
well said i run an automotive shop so i can relate alot of people think my techs are making $90 an hour they dont understand the big picture

Old 01-26-2010, 11:38 AM
grumpy old biker
Cruiser

Us dummies that decided to get into the auto body trade make far less then the guy who spins wrenches or the heavy duty mechanics. Insurance companies want a cheap door rate. If the shop doesn't agree they will move the vehicle to a shop that will. Flat rate applies to all repairs except resto work or work that has no rate available to apply. Any shop that wants to keep the door open is not going to get carried away estimating any job, including bike painting. Some shops pay staff by the hour most give a percentage of the flat rate to the tech for each phase of the repair. A good, well trained, and experienced tech can do okay on flat rate, but no one is getting rich doing this.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:55 AM
grumpy old biker
Cruiser

Midniteevil- In our neck of the woods most shops use Dupont or Sikkins. The resto/rod shops mostly use PPG. A good friend, who runs a small rod shop, told me they use PPG mainly because most guys read rod magazines and think they have to have PPG. There must be a reason a majority use Dupont. The shop I worked at for many years looked at changing supplier and after trying all the other major brands stuck with Dupont. When setting up our shop we used several different systems and went back to Dupont. I will admit a big plus is the Dupont rep for our area.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:26 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

MidnitEvil glad you are my go to paint guy ha ha ha almost spring brother almost spring!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:59 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you beat me to it. I was gonna say to anyone who thinks $1000 is expensive for a quality paint job has never owned their own business, paid for quality labor, workmans comp, fica taxes, other taxes, business licenses, overhead and tools, a good looking receptionist, bookkeeper, yellow page ads, etc etc ......on and on...........

I wouldn't get out of bed to paint your bike for $1000 unless it was new bare metal, then I'd have to like you.

And that's just for good quality, not "show quality".

Originally Posted by grumpy old biker
As a licenced body mechanic and painter for the last 12 years I will try to give the facts, like them or not. Unlike stated here quality paint products from Dupont, PPG, Sikkens etc., do not cost under $100 to do two fenders and a tank. A gallon of Dupont clear and activator is just under $300. To do the job right all the old finish should be removed. So starting from bare metal, etch prime, primer surfacer, sand and prep, solvent wash, seal, base coat, clear coat. That's ball park $300 in materials for two fenders and a tank. Now add two $500+ HVLP spray guns, building, booth, compressor, shop supply, power, licences, and on and on. Say you make $20 an hour at your job, and I'd like to make a clean $20 an hour too. So where does the money come from to pay for all this stuff. STARTING TO GET THE PICTURE!
Now add in hours and hours of unpaid time in training and getting certified by paint manufactures so I can warranty your paint finish for life.
You want to paint your own bike? Go for it. Enjoy the headache, literally. Most paint products will kill you dead as a door nail if you don't have the equipment to work with them. Plus the EPA will crap all over you if you don't dispose of the waste properly. Add that cost in.
Final points. Is a $1000 to much for a paint job, maybe, maybe not. Total lack of information. Lastly you prep your own parts, you paint your own parts. I won't touch them with a ten foot pole. I want to know what I'm painting over. I'd rather **** you off up front, then have you whining on this site because your prep work sank like a rock, or started to lift. Will some back alley hump paint your parts cheap? Sure! Will he back his work? I doubt it. Like the Fram filter guy said, " Pay me now or pay me later." Cheap is cheap. Quality never comes cheap.

Quick Reply: Why is painting tins so expensive?